Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unknown brand Dunebuggy project
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Found an engine
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Nice complete find! Any details on the internal configuration and condition? I'm going to guess stock 1600. It should push that Buggy around just fine for the most part. You might want to give some thought to adding too much weight to the car though as it won't be more than adequate on the highway.

Just a quick observation or two, some folks have had bad luck with those transparent distributor caps. The coil is mounted upside down - don't know if that really matters as to how it works but the wiring would be neater the other way up. Do get the spark plug wires back up on the fan housing away from the intake heat risers or they may burn through.

That appears to be a centrifugal only distributor and not a match for your carb. You will likely encounter some fiddles, stumbles and less than optimum fuel economy as a result but it will run that way.

I see you have heat exchangers, nice to see that system complete and in good shape but unless you are planning to add a heating system to your Buggy they are dead weight. Maybe someone with a Beetle restoration would appreciate them and give you some cash to use for J tubes and the right industrial tins to fill the gaps left. Maybe you have plans for them for ice racing though...

Just wondering if the engine has a thermostat and flaps? You will need them for ice racing. That is a guarantee! A stock air cleaner with the hose on the snorkel down to the "L" shaped tin bit that picks up warm air from the cylinders will be a big asset too in cold snowy weather!
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Not much info on the engine yet but it was rebuilt to 1600cc single port spec on a new case. It was rebuilt for a beetle someone parted ways with but the price was right for a complete engine that turns over.

I'm planning on tearing it down to the long block for inspection/measurements and swapping out the tin
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Picked up a ghia irs transmission and some "nos" 109 dune buggy side pods. Getting things together so i can hopefully shorten the pan when i have some time.

Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

First time updating from an actual computer in months.

Didn't mean for this project to take off as fast as it did but I've had fewer "options" while building this one which kinda shaped things on it's own. The final specs I think I'm going for looks something like:
1600 Sp engine on the ghia 4 speed transmission
running the heater duct tubes to the underside of the front seats for some best effort heat while racing.
Once the chassis is shortened and the floor pans fixed (they are replaced but poorly done) I'm going to reinforce the pan all the way around before cutting out notches in the tub for the spec roll cage.
I'm sticking with stock height for now with stock style brakes, clutch, etc. to try the first season out.

Wife and I agreed it's getting a snow camo paint job on top and highlighter yellow on the side pods and cage to keep it visible during the races.

4 channel bluetooth boat stereo for entertainment
no windshield, we're just commiting to wearing helmets when we drive it which spares me from wiring in wipers.
-------------------------------
No official timeline for completion at this point, I'm working to see if I can wiggle in building my new shop before winter this year so I have easier access and space to weld everything (tundra buggy, type 3 fastback, repair panels on my WRX and my Mk1 caddy I'm picking up.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Not sure if I would go with no windshield. My sand rail doesn't have one and on cool days the wind chill is pretty wicked, eyes water so bad we can't see. Even worse in the winter at snow temperatures. Snowmobile windshields are not there just for looks!
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

I typically just run motorcycle/autocross helmets during the summer and snowmobile helmets in the winter. No different than a slingshot or other low windshield track cars.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

You'll need to decide on rear tire size before committing to that KG trans - it's likely a 3.88 final drive.

bnc
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Tundra Buggy Reply with quote

summarized progress:
- built a new lean-to on my shed to store the Tundra Buggy this winter while I finish my Fastback's air ride.
- tore down the "rebuilt" engine after finding a bunch of loose or missing parts. not chancing it, just going to rebuild the transmission and engine before running.
- everyone's exhausts are on back-order so I'm reworking an old setup that needs TLC
- Shortening the pan before the end of summer so I can get the body bolted down to the pan to start measuring for the spec cage.
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Making progress accumulating parts to shorten the pan before winter.

Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Final post on this build. State of Minnesota declared they do not register "Dune Buggies" because they are not built by an OEM. parted out the car and there's the anti climatic end to that.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Well that just sucks

Last edited by slalombuggy on Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Absoluteyeti wrote:
Final post on this build. State of Minnesota declared they do not register "Dune Buggies" because they are not built by an OEM. parted out the car and there's the anti climatic end to that.

It's not a "dune buggy", it's a "specially constructed vehicle"....

https://www.semasan.com/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_MN.pdf

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

register it as a beetle like 90% of people do
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown brand Dunebuggy project Reply with quote

Absoluteyeti wrote:

Well that sucks!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: