Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel delivery issue
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmldn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:34 am    Post subject: Fuel delivery issue Reply with quote

I got the old girl running and it sounds good although it stalls after 30 seconds or so. Tried bypassing the filter and noticed the fuel doesn't pour out of the tank feed tube, rather trickles a bit and stops. Would that sound like a blockage ?

Last edited by jmldn on Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:55 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel delivery Reply with quote

ayup. with a clean tank the fuel flows out the tank outlet in a nice stream. there is a fine mesh, nylon screen over the outlet baffles that can get schmoo'd over. try pushing air back into the tank thru the outlet, it'll push away the dirt and buy you a very short amount of time before it plugs again. solution= new tank.

just for giggles, you COULD try the flow test with the gas cap removed in case the tank system is so sealed it is not letting replacement air back in.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel delivery Reply with quote

Yep, sounds like you've got a clog of rust or debris in the tank somewhere. If it's the original tank and you're thinking about dropping it to inspect, might as well provision a new tank. It'll be well worth the investment as one less thing in the fuel system to have to worry about and give you future fits.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
jmldn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel delivery Reply with quote

Just tried a pressure test and the gauge read 36 psi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel delivery Reply with quote

jmldn wrote:
Pressure test is nice and a good thing to do, but VOLUME Flow is what you'd need to worry about since you've already seen a flow issue with no pump involved at the tank outlet. If your pump starves to try and pull gas of the tank, it's bad for the pump and generally not great running for the engine if you have pressure but struggle to provide enough volume to spray out of the injectors under loads. [Think bucking and jerking when you try to accelerate]
To add to this, when I first got our '84 Vanagon, I could remove the outlet hose, and with a 1/2 tank of gas in the tank, I'd see no flow out of the tube. It was that clogged. I dropped the tank to peer inside with a Boroscope type inspection camera, stuff everywhere, but mostly rust in key areas.
Sometimes you can clean this all out with some effort , but make sure the outer shell of your tank doesn't show key signs of rusting at the corners and along the seams. If it does, you're better off with a new tank and starting fresh.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jmldn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel delivery Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
jmldn wrote:
Pressure test is nice and a good thing to do, but VOLUME Flow is what you'd need to worry about since you've already seen a flow issue with no pump involved at the tank outlet. If your pump starves to try and pull gas of the tank, it's bad for the pump and generally not great running for the engine if you have pressure but struggle to provide enough volume to spray out of the injectors under loads. [Think bucking and jerking when you try to accelerate]
To add to this, when I first got our '84 Vanagon, I could remove the outlet hose, and with a 1/2 tank of gas in the tank, I'd see no flow out of the tube. It was that clogged. I dropped the tank to peer inside with a Boroscope type inspection camera, stuff everywhere, but mostly rust in key areas.
Sometimes you can clean this all out with some effort , but make sure the outer shell of your tank doesn't show key signs of rusting at the corners and along the seams. If it does, you're better off with a new tank and starting fresh.

I see your point, i'll drop the tank and go from there.
jmldn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel delivery Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
ayup. with a clean tank the fuel flows out the tank outlet in a nice stream. there is a fine mesh, nylon screen over the outlet baffles that can get schmoo'd over. try pushing air back into the tank thru the outlet, it'll push away the dirt and buy you a very short amount of time before it plugs again. solution= new tank.

just for giggles, you COULD try the flow test with the gas cap removed in case the tank system is so sealed it is not letting replacement air back in.

No better with the cap off..
jmldn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel delivery Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
Yep, sounds like you've got a clog of rust or debris in the tank somewhere. If it's the original tank and you're thinking about dropping it to inspect, might as well provision a new tank. It'll be well worth the investment as one less thing in the fuel system to have to worry about and give you future fits.

They're cheap enough i suppose.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel delivery Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
might as well provision a new tank. It'll be well worth the investment as one less thing in the fuel system to have to worry about and give you future fits.

i 100% agree

when i bought my van the tank was already out of it as the p/o was trying to repair the crossover pipe.

at any rate, like a fool i tried to clean the tank (not that it was bad) and had i known how cheap a new one was i would have never spent the time even fooling with the old one

and yes, pulling a line off the tank should result in a stream that shoots 4 feet away from the nipple

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel delivery issue Reply with quote

Rig it up so that the fuel returning from the fuel pressure regulator to the tank instead goes into a quart jar and then run the pump and see how fast the jar fills.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: