Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buggy Seat Cushions
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2381Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Buggy Seat Cushions Reply with quote

Anyone ever used a real foam car seat cushion for a rail buggy plastic seat? I've got some high density foam that just isn't supportive enough for the seat bottom on my poly-shell seats.

Was thinking of going to the local pull-a-part and getting some small cushions out of a car-like a Corolla or similar and cutting to the contour of the seat. I need something supportive yet a little comfortable.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy Seat Cushions Reply with quote

Suggest you ditch the poly shell seats and get some real spring & foam suspension/cushioned seats... You body will thank you for it...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
2381Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy Seat Cushions Reply with quote

I would love to replace the seats but this frame was built very narrowly-the seats touch each other -there is no room for a wider seat. Have to make do. Just want a little extra comfort on my bottom.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy Seat Cushions Reply with quote

The width is only 1/2 of the problem. The height is an issue too. The sand rail industry was based on those fiberglass buckets with no padding and the frames were built around them. Smaller people can switch them out and still have room but taller, bigger folks... not so lucky!
JWHracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Seat Cushions Reply with quote

PRP Roadster seats should fit. I used to have them in my baja and had plenty of room between the seats. Compare the dimensions to your poly seats.

https://www.prpseats.com/product/roadster-suspension-seat/

2021 STORR Pro Air Cooled Buggy Champion
2019 AZOP Unlimited Buggy Champion
2017 SADR 1300 Class Champion
2016 AZOP Limited Buggy Champion

Currently "retired" from racing
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Seat Cushions Reply with quote

I wonder if UTV seats, say from a Razor, or something like it, would work. I see them for sale used for reasonable prices.
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Seat Cushions Reply with quote

I've seen actual poly seat cushion sets..... maybe on Jegs website..
Can't really remember but they're out there.

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Seat Cushions Reply with quote

I bought a pair of memory foam seat cushions off of Amazon, made all the difference. They slip up under the seat covers and are incredibly comfortable. Something like these....

Seat Cushion Pillow for Office Chair - Memory Foam Firm Coccyx Pad - Tailbone, Sciatica, Lower Back Pain Relief - Contoured Posture Corrector for Car, Wheelchair, Computer and Desk Chair https://a.co/d/cYIBvij
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Seat Cushions Reply with quote

I have the same problem in my rail. It's to narrow for two comfortable seats side by side. I used a packing blanket folded and layered with some 1/2 neoprene topped off with a couple of layers of Thermorest ridged sleeping pad cut to fit. It's actually pretty comfortable. The ridged sleeping pad allows for air flow behind and under you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy Seat Cushions Reply with quote

I have the same gig going on with the poly seats in my 61 project.
I always save the foam padding from old beat up seats because you never know when you might need it.
This little bit glued in make a big difference.
Of course the drivers side is about an inch thicker on the bottom pad and a little bigger, gotta look out for number one first.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Seat Cushions Reply with quote

QRP wrote:
Of course the drivers side is about an inch thicker on the bottom pad and a little bigger, gotta look out for number one first.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh Hell yeah! The pilot of this here contraption deserves the cushier seat cuz' he/she is in command!

I had to pull the drivers seat out of mine to install some new pedals and steering brakes so I decided to upgrade the cushioning some. I'm still going to use the packing blanket idea so I got a new one and I'm still using the ridged pad but I got a big roll of Neoprene to add to it.

It's only 3/8" thick but I have enough of it to cut up into pieces and layer it between sections of the packing blanket. I'll put a regular nylon seat cover over the whole thing. The generic covers don't fit right at first but after you get them dirty and rained on and sweated on and spilled sodas on for a while, they kind of settle right in!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: