Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical Upgrades - Early Car
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Upgrades - Early Car Reply with quote

I have a set of those Vintage Car LEDs on my Fastback and really love them.
They install just like any stock light and are bright as any new car.

Don’t have a lot of hours on them yet,
But so far they’ve been great.

What’s That Noise?!?
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Upgrades - Early Car Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Quote:
I'm going to be putting the line lock button on the steering wheel to the left.
That way you can hold the line lock button and the steering wheel with the left hand,
And we'll put the squirter button on the shifter.
That way you can keep your hands where they go to operate the car while locking -and- squirting.

I found a wiring diagram years ago for using the horn button for the line lock, so there was a small dash switch that flip flopped a relay from horn, to line loc. It worked really well

I did this long ago. Was pretty cool. My latest car I just added a tiny momentary switch into the steering wheel. The wheel was already a cracked beater, I drilled a hole through it, and cut a channel for the wiring to fit into then epoxied over all the yuckiness on the back side. In the end I have a 1/8" diameter button sticking up just above the surface of the wheel right where my left thumb can reach. No disabling the horn needed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Upgrades - Early Car Reply with quote

How did you route the wiring from the wheel to/across the column?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Upgrades - Early Car Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
How did you route the wiring from the wheel to/across the column?

With a Dremel tool, and drill Laughing
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Upgrades - Early Car Reply with quote

Is it going to the horn wire? Or a pigtail around the wheel/column joint?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Upgrades - Early Car Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:

This is a 60, no horn wire to even work with. Just ran a pair of wires down the column, has enough length to let it rotate around lock to lock with no bind under there. Probably not the greatest 200,000 mile solution, but for a street strip car that got driven 1000 or so miles a year, it worked just fine. One wire goes to ground. The other goes to my ECU, which controls the line lock and activates the burnout limiter.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Upgrades - Early Car Reply with quote

Love that line lock button.

The best electronics are hidden. Cool

What’s That Noise?!?
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Upgrades - Early Car Reply with quote

Really love the attention to detail, the dedication to keep it stock appearance...whatever else you need to hear to validate all of the work and feel good about yourself and the project.

But where are the burnouts, man?!?!?
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Upgrades - Early Car Reply with quote

Chip wrote:
Lingwendil wrote:

This is a 60, no horn wire to even work with. Just ran a pair of wires down the column, has enough length to let it rotate around lock to lock with no bind under there. Probably not the greatest 200,000 mile solution, but for a street strip car that got driven 1000 or so miles a year, it worked just fine. One wire goes to ground. The other goes to my ECU, which controls the line lock and activates the burnout limiter.

Interesting!

I'm considering adding a line lock and squirter to my super, and since I run an aftermarket Momo wheel I was trying to think of a good way to route the wiring without it looking bad. Low profile buttons are easy enough to source but the wires are going to be tricky to get around the column/wheel joint in a clean way-

Something like this posted in one of the holes on the spokes, or on a separate bracket looks like a clean enough solution-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255255113815?mkcid=16&...media=COPY

You can also get standalone switches too-
https://billetautomotivebuttons.com/products/19mm-line-lock-billet-push-button-switch

Far from a" stealth" solution, but with this wheel I don't think it's too out of place. I could always use unlabeled switches of course to make them less obvious.

They also sell a bunch of others, in a bunch of sizes too- or you can have them etch a custom symbol/text onto one-
https://billetautomotivebuttons.com/collections/19mm-billet-buttons

Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Upgrades - Early Car Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Love that line lock button.

The best electronics are hidden. Cool

I agree, that was a big theme with this car. Very limited gauges (speedo, afr) stealthy, tiny or factory looking switches. I let the engine management do the managing. Its way more observant than I am.
deaaaanno.vw1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Upgrades - Early Car Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
My '56 Oval is used on the street and quite a lot.

Since there's a bunch of electrical upgrades to be made in the last 64 years,
Thought I'd document some of them here.

First, story..
Some things were just driving me crazy.
Had converted it to 12V, alternator, new wiring harness, electric fuel pump, 12V conversion armature in the wipers, added some gauges, and was pretty happy for a dozen years.
Now, driving it more than ever and my kid using it,
A lot started getting really annoying.
No dome light, no horn, gauge lights only partly working.
The worst was the headlights - a dim brown that flickered now and again.
The taillights were meager, and we almost got rear-ended a couple of times.
Plus we got a CDI ignition and a couple toys.

Bus windshield washer nozzles for burnout squirt. Cool

may i ask where you purchased the shift knob? nice!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Upgrades - Early Car Reply with quote

deaaaanno.vw1966 wrote:
Clatter wrote:
My '56 Oval is used on the street and quite a lot.

Since there's a bunch of electrical upgrades to be made in the last 64 years,
Thought I'd document some of them here.

First, story..
Some things were just driving me crazy.
Had converted it to 12V, alternator, new wiring harness, electric fuel pump, 12V conversion armature in the wipers, added some gauges, and was pretty happy for a dozen years.
Now, driving it more than ever and my kid using it,
A lot started getting really annoying.
No dome light, no horn, gauge lights only partly working.
The worst was the headlights - a dim brown that flickered now and again.
The taillights were meager, and we almost got rear-ended a couple of times.
Plus we got a CDI ignition and a couple toys.

Bus windshield washer nozzles for burnout squirt. Cool

may i ask where you purchased the shift knob? nice!

Hi,
The knob is from a company called Speed Dawg.
They’re all over the Internet if you search. Got mine from Summit IIRC.
Don’t be like me and use it for line-lock with squirters.
I’m re-wiring it to activate squirters and put the line-lock button on the steering wheel.
Otherwise it takes three hands to do a water burnout..

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: