Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
However, the lower hole on the 1/2 side measures the same as the hole on the 3/4 side. This is the best I could get with the kit

What kit is that? The carb linkage kit? What style will it be- crossbar with down-rods, or twist-style that has the actuation rods going outwards?

Kit was the wrong word to use, sorry. This is not a kit. Chinese IDF40 clones (these particular ones were recommend by samba member Jpaul) and the CB filter and linkage kit. Although that wasn’t bought as a kit either. I had the crossbar on the Kaddies and I bought the intakes and filter bases separately. So far I’m on for $425, plus what ever my guy is gonna charge me for machining the intakes, tuning and I bought him a 12 pack of Modelo bottles for a tip.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
So far I’m on for $425, plus what ever my guy is gonna charge me for machining the intakes, tuning and I bought him a 12 pack of Modelo bottles for a tip.

I'd set yours's up for a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Very Happy
And a plane ticket! Shocked

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Here’s where I’m at. Everything is installed except the cams and a breather hose. I just gotta hook up the tow bar and I’ll be on the road at 8:30 am to the VW shop.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I really need to paint that rust spot. 😳
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

I really need to paint that rust spot. 😳

Leave it.
I'm gonna preserve this auction house note forever.
It's like a brand of survival!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I hooked the car up to the tow bar and took it to the shop this morning. My truck had no issues towing the car, being 65° out definitely helped. Hung out at the shop for a couple of hours, but while we tweaked some things and my guy tuned and synced the carbs. They were actually pretty close and didn’t need too much work. He didn’t change anything and he set them up as they were. The car definitely runs like a scolded cat now! Holy shit is my engine “woke” now….😂 We took it for a nice run on the highway, it pulled the gears with ease and had no issues maintaining 70 up the 6% grade hill we climbed. At the top of the hill I stopped, the engine held idle and seemed happy. I grabbed my IR gun and the engine temps seemed to be 15° cooler then they were with the Kaddies.

Time to start trending fuel mileage and temps. I’m sure I’ll report back with my data and videos of it running.

Here’s a pic of everything all set up.

I love that I can flat tow this car with my Frontier!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Sweet! Glad to hear that you have it all sorted.

Funny, I have never added a throttle return spring on any of my dual carbed engines. It seems that the carb springs provided enough return action. To not warrant the installation. Your car your choices.

Regarding the 6° grade drive. I have a tired 1679 that could pull those grades in 4th at 80 MPH! Very Happy But I had to get a run at it to get things rolling.

Have fun and try to avoid getting a ticket. BTDT Shocked

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Sweet! Glad to hear that you have it all sorted.

Regarding the 6° grade drive. I have a tired 1679 that could pull those grades in 4th at 80 MPH! Very Happy But I had to get a run at it to get things rolling.

Stoked to have the new carbs set up, those Kaddies were giving me Agita…. I’m very positive that buying this set up was a good move.

I will add that we pulled that 6° grade at 8000’, the car now was a set of balls. We calculated that with my 165 tires and the stock transaxle, it’s turning 3200 rpms at 70. My ’71 Westy has a 2275, the stock transaxle and turns 3800 rpms at 65. So, 3200 seems seems fine to me.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

It’s been a week with the new carbs and so far I can say they are awesome! There is no sweet talking them to fire up. Two pumps of the pedal, they fire right up and idle. Although I do understand it is summer and winter will be different. The power difference from the Kaddies to these is unbelievable, the car really moves now! So far I’m getting 19 mpg, which is up a little from the Kaddies and I’m not being easy on it. I’m rowing the gears in town and cruising 65-70 on the highway. I bet if I’m easy on it, I could easily get it into the low to mid 20s.

The only issue I have have run into is the idle screws have been backing off. I fixed that with a jam nuts, since I’ve installed those the idle has remained constant.

This was a goooooood decision!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Nice work Richie......that car is so sweet. stoked for you

Ill bet that rattle can grey would come off

It would be freaking so sick to have the og BLACK paint some day.... Its there....right ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Did your builder use 1.0 40hp rocker arms? That’s what I recommend for the cam your using for a street engine. Will increase valve train life. Don’t want to flame anybody, just trying to help. VZ cams are best suited for off road class racing. Your adjuster failure does not surprise me.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Let’s update this thread.

First up.
Dan Ruddock wrote:
Did your builder use 1.0 40hp rocker arms? That’s what I recommend for the cam your using for a street engine. Will increase valve train life. Don’t want to flame anybody, just trying to help. VZ cams are best suited for off road class racing. Your adjuster failure does not surprise me.

Yes, They are 1:1 bolt up rockers. This was a sweep the garage build and the cam was on hand, that’s why it was used. Among the majority of other parts that are in the engine. So far there has been no other issues with the swivel feet adjusters. If I do run into anymore issues, I will space the rockers out a little.

I drive the car just about everyday and I have 4000 miles on the build now, everything seems to be good. The new IDF clones are nice. They offer more power, better millage and better reliability then the Kaddies I was running. I did put a set of UNI pre-filters on them, in an attempt to quite down the induction a bit. They are still pretty loud when I’m rowing the gears in town, but noticeably quieter at cruising speeds on the highway.

I recently installed an ashtray mounted USB ports that I got from Volks Haus out of the UK. It was a featured product in Hot VWs, I emailed the contact in the ad. They hooked my up with CIP and 6 months later I got the product. 😳. The install was pretty straightforward and I hooked them to switched power in the fuse box so they won’t kill my battery when not in use.

Here’s a couple of pics of the USB ports and of the the UNI filters.

We’ve been traveling in the bus a lot the last 6 weeks. Lots of new posts in my Adventure Thread in the signature line, if anyone is interested.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I would change over to 1.0 40hp rockers, they are avalible in the samba classifieds for cheap. They will lengthen your trains life. Race cams belong in race engines. I would not call 4k miles as a confirmation of success. Dan
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
I would change over to 1.0 40hp rockers, they are avalible in the samba classifieds for cheap. They will lengthen your trains life. Race cams belong in race engines. I would not call 4k miles as a confirmation of success. Dan

Gene Berg considers the 297A a performance cam. It has the same duration as a 110 with steeper ramps and more lift. It is designed to be used in 1600cc of larger engines, with dual carbs, big valve heads, dual valve springs and 1.1:1 rockers. Which is everything my engine has. May not be your cam of choice but again, it was the one that was on hand just like the rest of the parts in this engine build.

Here is the cam description from th Gene Berg book.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I have a lot of respect Berg and learned a ton of valuable stuff from him, but this is one of the few things he got flat WRONG. Do what you want, will not be any harm to me if the train's life is short. I have seen many street use failures with the VZ series cams. The smaller ratio 1.0 rocker will not cause that much of a power loss to not justify using them. The smaller ratio will slow thing down. Valve train is my business.

Here is good advice from another respected vender John Connely at ACN.

The Engle VZ25 is a Stump Pulling cam for Off-Road engines. It is designed for 1.1 rockers ONLY. Specs are .429" Cam Lift, .470" Valve Lift (1.1 Rockers) 286 degrees of advertised duration, and 256 degrees of duration at .050", on a 108 Lobe Center.
The VZ Series of cams have a short valvetrain life due to super-fast ramps and high valve lift. Dual Springs are required! This cam has good bottom end, with more all around performance than the Engle 110 due to more valve lift. Ported head are strongly recommended, since the more headflow you have the better this cam will work! This cam runs from idle to 6000 RPM.

I will call this done; I have warned you, do what you want.

Dan
fredybear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Hey Rich...What cam are you using? Thought at the beginning it was a 110.

Is it a VZ 15, 25 or the Berg Equiv?

I have the VZ 25 in mine. pushin 190 tq at 4500 Cool

Dan also said my full flow system wouldn't work with a merged exhaust.

Looks beautiful to me.

How many miles is a short valve train life anyway? 16,324. 50,000 or?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:

Here is good advice from another respected vender John Connely at ACN.

The Engle VZ25 is a Stump Pulling cam for Off-Road engines. It is designed for 1.1 rockers ONLY. Specs are .429" Cam Lift, .470" Valve Lift (1.1 Rockers) 286 degrees of advertised duration, and 256 degrees of duration at .050", on a 108 Lobe Center.
The VZ Series of cams have a short valvetrain life due to super-fast ramps and high valve lift. Dual Springs are required! This cam has good bottom end, with more all around performance than the Engle 110 due to more valve lift. Ported head are strongly recommended, since the more headflow you have the better this cam will work! This cam runs from idle to 6000 RPM.

I will call this done; I have warned you, do what you want.

Dan

So even the quote you posted says to use 1.1:1 rockers, even though you say not too. Rolling Eyes

The engine is built and has been built and on the road for 6 months, it’s not like I’m gonna tear it down because you say so. The thing runs like a scolded cat!!! 90% of the parts are used, if it lasts 30k cool. I’m not into it for very much money. Shit, the heads had 25k on them already.

fredybear wrote:
Hey Rich...What cam are you using? Thought at the beginning it was a 110.

Is it a VZ 15, 25 or the Berg Equiv?

I have the VZ 25 in mine. pushin 190 tq at 4500 Cool

How many miles is a short valve train life anyway? 16,324. 50,000 or?

Yes, at the beginning it was a 110. However, that cam did not weather the elements well and had some pitting. So the other available cam was a Engle with the Berg 297A grind. Which I guess would be a VZ25. My builder was stoked on it, since we used that cam I was able to get him to bump up the compression. I wanted 9:1, he wanted 8:1 with the 110 and we ended up with 9:1. He had to machine the heads to accept the dual springs, so he fly cut them as well to get it to 9:1.

Yea, what’s the life of a valve train???
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

High Lift Competition Cams for 1.1's Only
Small Off-Road Comp VZ-14 .462" 274 .420" 108
Med. Off-Road Comp VZ-15 .478" 279 .435" 108
Midget/Cir Trk/Off Comp VZ-25 .470" 286 .429" 108
Drag/Comp. Off-Road VZ-30 .507" 298 .461" 108
Drag/Comp. Off-Road VZ-35 .490" 309 .448" 108

This is from Engles catolog, do you see any of these grinds listed for street use?

Sure the 1.1 rockers are recommended but it is intended for racing where the engine is regularly torn down. Using the 1.1 rockers gives the edge over the racer who uses a W120. The W120 is a good long life street cam.

Street/Buggy W-100 .420" 276 .383" 108
Hot Street/Buggy W-110 .430" 284 .392" 108
Hot Street/Buggy/Turbo W-120 .435" 294 .397" 108
Mild Drag/Buggy Comp. W-125 .460" 301 .418" 108
Drag/Buggy Competition W-130 .460" 308 .419" 108
Drag/Buggy Competition W-140 .465" 313 .424" 108

The lower ratio rocker gives you the kind of performance of a 110 or 120 without beating the train to death. Ever notice how noisy VZ cams are? There is a reason they are noisy; they slap the valve open and slam the valve down on the seat. Sure it will make more power. But is it worth it??? Engle know what they are doing.

There is only two valve covers and four nuts to swap out a set of rockers.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
Ever notice how noisy VZ cams are?

Noisy? Shit, I can’t hear anything over the induction and the exhaust.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Worked on the bug over the past few days. The toe is off in the rear and it’s chewing up the outside of the rear tires rather quickly. So I jacked it up, pulled the tires and took them to the LTS. My buddy broke them down and swapped them so I could wear out the other side before I buy new tires. When I buy new tires I’ll get a 4 wheel alignment.

Since it was in the air I decided to degrease the transaxle and the underside of the engine. The transaxle leaks and there was gear oil everywhere. I sprayed engine degreaser on everything, let it soak for 15 minutes and sprayed it off with the hose. Looks a lot better now. While it was in the air I decided to top off the transaxle fluid, check the valves (they were perfect), adjust the clutch and the brakes. I also detailed the engine bay and vacuumed the interior.

Drove the car to the market this morning, it’s driving excellent!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Got me a new anti-dazzle mirror from SoCal Imports. No more getting blinded at night for me!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 18

Jump to: