Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dipstick reading
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekrossi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Dipstick reading Reply with quote

After filling my crankcase with the required 2.5 quarts of oil, the dipstick reads consistently between the 1st & 2nd marks. Is that a proper reading or is it possible my dipstick is incorrect for my engine? It has a replacement Mexican made crankcase.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure that's where the oil should read. Between the two marks. If it's below the lower mark then you need to add oil.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Dipstick Reading Reply with quote

Borrowed from the Gallery. Do you have a 40hp, 1600 or other. I put 2 3/4 quarts in my 40 which brings me up to full on the dipstick..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

far left standard 36 hp
second left 1960 only 36 hp
third left believe to be 40 hp but not certain
far right standard 1500 from my 65 bus
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If when you do an oil change and add the proper amount. Start engine let is run for a few minutes. Stop engine let the car sit on level ground for say 10 minutes then check the dipstick. I think that is the full reading for your engine reguardless of the style of dipstick.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
747frieghtdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
If when you do an oil change and add the proper amount. Start engine let is run for a few minutes. Stop engine let the car sit on level ground for say 10 minutes then check the dipstick. I think that is the full reading for your engine reguardless of the style of dipstick.

Profound sir.

And I'm being serious, simple and to the point.

I would have added make a mark on the dip stick.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stated fill volume is 5.3 pints, which is a little more than 2.5 quarts. The difference is betrween 1/2 and 3/4 cup. Try adding this amount and see if that brings you to the full mark. I bet it's close.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently changed out a '70 case for a universal type case with the Type III block-off. The dipstick tubes are different lengths (universal case tube is .310" shorter) so I had to mark the stick higher up by about .310" to make up the difference. Both sticks I had were like the one above on the far left and far right. The far right one (big ringed one) came out of my 1200 engine from the dealer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
The stated fill volume is 5.3 pints, which is a little more than 2.5 quarts. The difference is betrween 1/2 and 3/4 cup. Try adding this amount and see if that brings you to the full mark. I bet it's close.

Agree. Capacity charts show oil capacity in at least 3 different ways.
1). 2.5 litres - Oil is sold in litres in Canada so this is the amount I use in both my stock 1600 dp and 36 hp and it brings the oil exactly up to the full mark on both dipsticks.

2). 4.4 imperial pints which is 2.2 imperial quarts.

3). 5.3 US pints which is 2.65 US quarts.

In the "BugMe Videos" they say to add 2 3/4 US quarts and keep the rest for the oil bath air cleaner.
Kiptere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really don't want to fill it all they way up to the top (full) mark. Especially if it's an older engine. I wrecked an engine in the middle of the Texas desert doing this. Too much oil pressure.
70 Bug Vert
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiptere wrote:
You really don't want to fill it all they way up to the top (full) mark. Especially if it's an older engine. I wrecked an engine in the middle of the Texas desert doing this. Too much oil pressure.

How did filling it to the top mark cause high oil pressure?
Kiptere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know really. I blew a ring about 10 minutes after I did it.
70 Bug Vert
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ring?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that the usual failure from too much oil is oil starvation, oddly enough. The oil foams from the splashing of rods in the oil bath, which leads to bubbles getting sucked up the pump intake, leading to spotty pressure and poor oil circulation.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Dipstick reading Reply with quote

Phil, I thought the problem with overfill was that the cam would cause the frothing. Either way, no bueno.
raggmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dipstick reading Reply with quote

I have a Brazilian case with a 2 quart add on sump, a spin on oil filter, an oil temp thermostat, and an add on auxillary cooler under the car in the air flow. the stock doghouse cooler is in place. 2165 engine

My question is: how much oil should I run with this set up?

I've heard too much oil is about as dangerous as not enough. Where's the happy medium and how do I transfer that level to the dip stick reading? I have a VDO dipstick oil temp sensor.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dipstick reading Reply with quote

I think the important thing is that there isn’t excessive crankshaft “sling” meaning how deep the crankshaft is sitting in the oil. So, I’d be running the engine and then letting it stop. Then using the STANDARD dipstick top up until the level is between the marks. A deep sump should not make any difference to the level of oil that the crankshaft has to be sitting in. Ditto with an extra oil cooler.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

How did filling it to the top mark cause high oil pressure?

It didn't.
jimmykilonen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dipstick reading Reply with quote

This post was very helpful. Have 1600 single port. Have been filling to top line of dipstick but suspected I was overfilling. Saw som foam in filler and leaked oil out of valve cover during winter storage. So changed oil in Spring. Measured out 2.65 qts. Added it, level was midway between dipstick lines. Ran it, rechecked and level still halfway.Bentley says fill to top line and lists 2.65 qts capacities - going with capacity vs fill to top line.
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Dipstick reading Reply with quote

gt1593 is right. Different length dipsticks and the possibility that the dipstick you have may have been changed at some time surely complicate the issue.

Assuming all VW cases (without accessory sumps or filters added) hole about 2.5 quarts, the best thing to do is:

Completely drain your oil during a change. Be patient and let it drain for a while. Carefully measure out 2.5 quarts and after refilling the crankcase and running the engine for a few minutes let it sit on a level surface for 10 minutes.

Knowing you've put in the correct amount of oil will give you a "full" reading on the dipstick when you properly check the oil after the 10 minutes. Mark that level on the dipstick with a filed notch.

Now, you know what full is regardless of whether or not you have the correct dipstick and you can add oil when necessary with confidence that you won't over fill.

Prior to doing this, I (mistakenly) would add oil to what I thought was the full mark on my dipstick - the highest mark shown. Then I'd be baffled at a) why I was leaking so much oil and b) why it appeared that I was also USING more oil than I'd consider normal. Once I did this I find I leak less oil and I rarely have to add more than a few ounces of oil between changes.

Overfilling the oil in these cars is not a good thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: