Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Accelerator pedal Aurgh
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Accelerator pedal Aurgh Reply with quote

I have the old Z bar style directly from pedal to pedal assembly/cable back to the dual carb pivot. There is no roller in this style. Spring return is awful.
Looking at the parts assembly, it looks like the Z direct connection was used until 65 or so. And then they went to the roller under the pedal.
I have lubed the pivot rod on the pedal base, but still no joy.
I really do not want to replace the entire pedal assembly. Are there any options other than replacing the pedal with a roller pedal or roller under the pedal. My prior ACVW all used a roller behind the pedal or just a roller pedal. So am much more used to that design.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Accelerator pedal Aurgh Reply with quote

On my old Bug I cleaned and deburred everything, and after staring for a while to figure out where the play or binding was, I shimmed and lubed it. Made a huge difference in driving feel! I can't remember if I needed to replace the z-bar from wear first or not. Either way, taking up play but not TOO tightly does the trick.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Accelerator pedal Aurgh Reply with quote

i futzed around with the original pedal on my 65 for a few years, but it was just so worn out, so I just ordered the pedal upgrade and swapped it out .

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Accelerator pedal Aurgh Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
i futzed around with the original pedal on my 65 for a few years, but it was just so worn out, so I just ordered the pedal upgrade and swapped it out .

I spent the evening trying KTPhil's advice. And am ending up getting adding the Z type overhaul kit from ISP to my seemingly monthly order to them. (It was inexpensive compared to some of the things I have gotten lately.
If that does not help, I will do one of the upgrade options sooner than later.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: