Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rhino case.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rhino case. Reply with quote

If I have to use a double-side cover case, I will use the Rhino case as first choice. I think it is pretty good case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rhino case. Reply with quote

In 2000 I decided to have a Berg 5 built. I went with a new Rhino case along with a bunch of other heavy duty parts. It was originally motivated by a 1904 which was later replaced with a 2180. 12 years later I drained the gear lube and found chunks of the spider gears from the super diff. I sent it to Gary Berg to be "freshened up", new oil mods added and the super diff replaced with a rebuilt ZF.

As of today it I have yet to break anything and trust me... i've tried.

Would a stock case lasted?

Can't say, but for the amount of cash I have in the tranny I didn't want to risk finding out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Rhino case. Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
While I am a fan of continuation of a topic already started, I think it’s hilarious that the OP hasn’t been back to the site since 2004, and BoredandStroked hasn’t been back since 2014.
... EVERY performance VW I’ve seen with 300-500 wheel hp successfully using a Type 1 transaxle had a Rhino case. Pretty sure I know, but why is that....?

The discussion actually moved to shoptalkforums, where bored&stroked described the value of Rhino mods:
https://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=89944
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rhino case. Reply with quote

gears wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
While I am a fan of continuation of a topic already started, I think it’s hilarious that the OP hasn’t been back to the site since 2004, and BoredandStroked hasn’t been back since 2014.
... EVERY performance VW I’ve seen with 300-500 wheel hp successfully using a Type 1 transaxle had a Rhino case. Pretty sure I know, but why is that....?

The discussion actually moved to shoptalkforums, where bored&stroked described the value of Rhino mods:

Thats a awesome thread! I went through all 7 pages, and i think i need to read them 2 more times to let it sink it better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Rhino case. Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
gears wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Thats a awesome thread! I went through all 7 pages, and i think i need to read them 2 more times to let it sink it better.

I began reading the multiple forums our hobby has/had in 2003. While no one thread has completed the entire puzzle, there have been some that supplied a lot of the pieces. Gears has definitely been helpful on many occasions. Now that you have a good base knowledge of transaxle components/functions, the info is very useful.

Looks like BoredandStroked dropped off the face of the earth a little earlier over there around 05-06.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rhino case. Reply with quote

Can’t tell you how many times i’ve been through that STF ring/pinion thread..

Lately it makes more sense having finally been through a few boxes.

Remember,
These guys are talking about 60 foot times in the 1.4 - 1.6 range… Shocked

Glenn,
What’s your typical 60-ft and how many passes to you usually get from a R/P?

What’s That Noise?!?
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rhino case. Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Can’t tell you how many times i’ve been through that STF ring/pinion thread..

Lately it makes more sense having finally been through a few boxes.

Remember,
These guys are talking about 60 foot times in the 1.4 - 1.6 range… Shocked

Glenn,
What’s your typical 60-ft and how many passes to you usually get from a R/P?

I’m not sure Glenn gets that bug on the road much. I believe he’s busy on the Bicycle, which is awesome. Not to mention he’s busy building engines for clients.
Glenn, how many miles in the seat the last 3 years?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: