Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical Issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HurpMcDurp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject: Electrical Issue Reply with quote

Car was driving fine until the weekend, nothing was changed it began to sputter at higher rpm 2.5-3k. Gas is good, its surely electrical. (carb and pump where rebuilt) When it occurs its slightly violent , just dead on power and back to full power, as if when running at high rpm something electrical isnt sending a constant spark.

I've ordered a condenser today as I read it sounds related. Also I wanted to check into my distributor points, however I don't know what that entails, and seen below is my distributor with some odd aftermarket part? Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at here and what it does?

Side note, I had taken the distributor out during this issue to check it out, when I put it back in and used my timing light strobe gun. The light was not flashing with each stroke, very irregular. It hooks up to the ignition coil terminals. I know there are plenty of poor wire connections in the old thing, but any thoughts ideas aswell how to check my distributor points with whatever that piece is within?

Thanks folks, I really need this thing running by July24th when I get married and have out lil cute project on site.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Issue Reply with quote

Your points have been replaced with an electronic ignition module. If that thing stops working your car won't run at all, so the hiccup you are experiencing most likely is not that.
The condenser sounds like a good bet. Do you have a multimeter where you can take some voltage/ resistance readings at the coil?

Also, when you were checking timing, did you remember to set the engine at TDC for cylinder #1?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
HurpMcDurp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Issue Reply with quote

@sb001

Ah okay, so the electronic ignition module has no points period to set? ( and it does run to an extent so good to know ) And yeah TDC for number 1, also I run the rpm up to about 3k and set its at 30degrees where I read somewhere thats ideal aswell it sounds best at that point. (still uncertain if thats correct)
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Issue Reply with quote

The electronic ignition module does not use a condenser. Perhaps the coil has failed?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Issue Reply with quote

a 'points' coil has higher (3.5) ohms than a electronic coil (0.32?)
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Issue Reply with quote

That is a CompuFire electronic ignition module. It replaces the points and condenser. There should be a black disc under the rotor that spins over the top of the module. Magnets in the disc trigger the module to fire the ignition coil.

If you plan to replace the module w/ traditional points & a condenser you will also need two screws. One to hold the points down on the plate they rest on (the black hex head screw holding the module in place will not work). One screw to hold the condenser in place (probably still on the side of the distributor body).

The CompuFire requires a stock ignition coil w/ 3-4ohms of internal resistance between the + and - terminals of the coil. Measure the resistance. If it is in the 3-4ohm range the coil will also work with points.

When was the last time you did a tune-up? Could the spark plugs and plug wires need replacement? How long since you replaced the fuel filter? What about the screen sock at the bottom of the fuel tank? If these filters are dirty/clogged it could limit your engine at higher rpms.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Issue Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
The electronic ignition module does not use a condenser.

Oh yeah Embarassed

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Issue Reply with quote

Can you recreate the sputter at 2500-3000, in the garage (no load)? Or is it only when driving (under load)?

If you can recreate in the garage. Take the air filter off. Get the car into its problem spot and spray a tiny shot of carb cleaner at the carb opening. If it reacts smoothly, you know you are chasing a “too lean” issue. If it bogs down, a lean issue is not it. Move onto spark or combustion.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
HurpMcDurp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Issue Reply with quote

Ive read all your comments /ideas, thank you. I am currently in garage so short here, but where in this photo does D- go onto the voltage regulator? It shows just the middle of it but there is nothing. A ground that holds the regulator to the body?

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Issue Reply with quote

In this glutamodo pic you can see "D-" at the top near the D+. Look for a dark (green?) colored screw that screws into the metal base of the VR. This basically grounds the brown D- wire to the body at the same point the VR grounds to.

HurpMcDurp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Issue Reply with quote

@ashman40 / Dexter

Thank for this, I did end up testing it with that D- as the V.R. ground/body mount. I am getting the same results at the moment. The engine will cut out after 2.5K+ every over 5 or so strokes, not consistent, just GO, NOT, GO , NOT irregularity.

I had the generator out and tested the voltage, with a cheap drill I was able to spin it up to 15v to a multimeter. ( I thought I seen somewhere it could go as high as 50v, so maybe this generator is going out? ) the brushes and center shaft are clean, no binding it spins really smooth.

I want to say, I notice tonight when testing, the tach/dash light when idle was slightly oscillating light/dim. Giving it gas didnt seem to change that.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Issue Reply with quote

HurpMcDurp wrote:
Thank for this, I did end up testing it with that D- as the V.R. ground/body mount. I am getting the same results at the moment. The engine will cut out after 2.5K+ every over 5 or so strokes, not consistent, just GO, NOT, GO , NOT irregularity.

You need to troubleshoot and isolate if the issue is a fuel issue or a spark issue. If you have the tools you should also check for compression in all cylinders. Give Speedy Jim's page a read on troubleshooting. Maybe it will help.
http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/eng_strt.htm

HurpMcDurp wrote:
I had the generator out and tested the voltage, with a cheap drill I was able to spin it up to 15v to a multimeter. ( I thought I seen somewhere it could go as high as 50v, so maybe this generator is going out? ) the brushes and center shaft are clean, no binding it spins really smooth.

Was this test done with the VR connected and you were measuring the voltage at the B+ terminal of the VR?
Or were you just testing the generator by itself. Give Speedy Jim's page on generator troubleshooting a read.
http://www.speedyjim.net/htm/gen.htm
The Generator Testing section has you ground the DF terminal and force the generator into max output. Here you should see 35v+ at the D+ output terminal of the generator. Reading 50v+ is not unusual during this test. The VR "regulates" the generator output by controlling the DF input to the generator. The closer to ground DF is the greater the output of the generator.

HurpMcDurp wrote:
I want to say, I notice tonight when testing, the tach/dash light when idle was slightly oscillating light/dim. Giving it gas didnt seem to change that.

This sounds like a grounding problem.
The dash lights are powered by the headlight switch. Are your dash lights ON all the time? The parking light circuit often becomes a backup path to ground for other lights like brakes and turn signals when they cannot ground to the chassis/body. Current flowing backwards into the parking light circuit will ground thru one of the other bulbs in the circuit (like the dash lights).

Also check the bottom three indicator lamps on the speedometer. These three bulbs are separate from the other bulbs in the speedometer as they sit in their own housing. The three bulbs share a common 12v+ source at the bottom most terminal which comes from the fuse box or fuel gauge. The three blue wires coming off each of the three bulb holders runs to a switched ground (oil switch, VR, flasher relay). A common mistake is to think the shared wire should be a ground wire.
HurpMcDurp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical Issue Reply with quote

FIXED...one drive no issue

The Distributor seems to be the cause. The one that caused issues is the one with an electric ignition module show in this post. The allen screw holding it within was slightly loose allowing it to pivot on the single screw maybe a 1/8th of an inch. I assume at high rpm it would pivot outward loosing the magnetic "points" not points. I had put in my older normal distributor, which I did put on a new condenser. And I was able to give her the beans no issues or sputter.

To confirm further tonight Im going to put back in the first distributor now with that piece tightened. Just to double check that being loose is the issue or maybe it fried within.

-- Extras

When I had tested the generator, I was using leads D+ and D-, I did not include the DF during this so must be why I only saw 15v

My ground strap from transmission to body is good.

I will check further in the tach for my slight light fluctuation, the lights are not always on. ( also I did not make note to check for that last night with testing after new dist.)

My blinkers do not blink, just a steady "on" state with headlights, however my fuel gauge does aswell the generator light is only on at idle and turns off with some gas. My oil pressure light is on 90% of the time, very few times in the last 2 months I seen it go off. After the rebuild which I only drip a little bit of oil from the front seal..

Tons more to go, just glad its running again, I plan to drive it 20 miles one way for our wedding July 24th. I'll be tinkering on it every day until than might be back with more questions soon enough Rolling Eyes
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Issue Reply with quote

HurpMcDurp wrote:

My blinkers do not blink, just a steady "on" state with headlights, however my fuel gauge does aswell the generator light is only on at idle and turns off with some gas. My oil pressure light is on 90% of the time, very few times in the last 2 months I seen it go off. After the rebuild which I only drip a little bit of oil from the front seal..

Fix (clean, dielectric grease and tighten down) ALL the grounds from each turn signal to the body.

Up the idle RPM to get the gen and oil lights off.

Did you have the lower oil drain hole in the case for the front seal area?? If not, that can be modified someday when you pull the engine to adjust the crankshaft end play.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical Issue Reply with quote

HurpMcDurp wrote:
FIXED...one drive no issue

The Distributor seems to be the cause.

Good job!

HurpMcDurp wrote:
My blinkers do not blink, just a steady "on" state with headlights

Does this mean it works normally when headlights are OFF? But when you turn the headlights ON the turn signals just remain ON and do not blink?
Check if you have the correct bulbs installed both at the front and rear light assemblies. Remove the bulbs and look at the bottom of the socket and the bottom of the bulb. Single filament bulbs will have a single contact on the bottom of the bulb and the socket will have a single contact at the bottom of the socket. Dual filament bulbs will have two contact on the bulb and two contacts down in the socket.
Are you running the correct wattage bulbs in each position?

HurpMcDurp wrote:
My oil pressure light is on 90% of the time, very few times in the last 2 months I seen it go off.

The oil pressure switch installed below the distributor grounds the blue/green wire when the oil pressure drops below 5psi. Either you switch is bad and grounding at higher pressures.... or your switch is working and your engine is not producing enough oil pressure, this is BAD. Test the oil pressure or replace the switch with a working one. Do not drive if you have low oil pressure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: