Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Clunk Noise
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

I have quite a bad clunk when I turn the wheel to the right, within the steering play (without engaging the wheels). Here's a short clip:

https://youtube.com/shorts/dZlDPVCAvjQ?feature=share

Any ideas?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

read how to properly adjust the steering freeplay. See if that fixes it. Be sure to check gear fluid level too.
Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

In the Bentley it doesn't mention fluid level checks. It says the box should require no service. Is this possible for the '72 box?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

make sure the box has SAE 80-90 gl4 gear oil in it and has not leaked out. Same as the manual transmission fluid. No GL5 in the manual trans.
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

Rubber steering coupler between the steering tube and the box.

https://www.justkampers.com.au/catalog/product/vie...egory/129/

Yours is exactly the sound of one failing.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

Get someone else to turn the wheel back and forth while you crawl underneath and feel for play in each node of the steering system. I would guess that you have multiple places with slop in them.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

That is worse than box adjustment alone.
There should be a little free play if the steering is way off centre but not that much..
Rubber coupler at the bottom of the steering column broken ?
Steering box bolted on tightly enough ?
Drag link (from box to relay arm) ball joints worn ?
Steering relay arm pin in front beam - bushngs worn ?
Track rod end ball joints worn ?

Get a helper to move the steering wheel while you look and listen underneath..

I have had all of the faults I listed at some time or another on my 1973 built bay.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

I’m guessing that the major clunk is coming from the steering gearbox. Yes, there is an adjustment screw but I believe the way to fix it is to remove the square plate on the gearbox held on by 4 bolts. Then you remove a shim under the lip of that square plate. This will tighten up the worm gear preload which I think is too loose. I’ve done this but never on an installed gearbox so I’m not sure it can be done without removing the gearbox.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

that preload is pretty specific. It might require a full rebuild of the box to get that right. Also those shims come in different thicknesses on late boxes, and I would guess early boxes are the same. If a box had a .001" or .002" shim then it might make sense to pull it out, but if it has a .016" and a .013" shim, that might turn into an expensive mistake.
Ben Middleton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

Thanks guys - I'll have a look with a helper to do it with me tomorrow so I can check each node of the steering.

I have just replaced the steering coupler which was completely cracked, hoping it would've stopped the clunk but not yet; so at least we know it's not that.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

Place your hand on the box. Turn the wheel. Feel for the clunk. It’s the worm gear shifting

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Place your hand on the box. Turn the wheel. Feel for the clunk. It’s the worm gear shifting

That or the peg shaft moving up and down. The screw controls the free play in the peg shaft as the bushing and the peg wear. The peg flat spots too and stops rolling on the worm. so it has to be checked at some point in its life. Later boxes don't have a peg. They use different arrangement.
rhodsdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

I have a similar issue as well along with a feeling of binding up. Are rebuild kits, or parts available if the box needs to be rebuilt? I can't seem to find any online for a 1969 vintage bus. Any solution options that you know of? Checking before I open it up...
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

Ben Middleton wrote:
In the Bentley it doesn't mention fluid level checks. It says the box should require no service. Is this possible for the '72 box?

The Bentley also says that the final drive on my 73 autobox doesn’t require service but I doubt they were thinking it would be in the road 50 years later.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

to reinforce what WT said, put your hand on each steering component while your helper moves the wheel back and forth. feel and listen. good luck.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

nice job Gary. Looks awsome. Where did you get the new peg or is that the old one?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

Where did you get the new peg or is that the old one?

old one
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

That or the peg shaft moving up and down.

that has always been what i have found. the worm gear "levers" the peg up and down and hogs out the box. in real bad cases i have had the peg wear.

i have a machine shop that will turn the shaft enough to true it up and machine the box for a bushing. why vw never put one in is beyond me.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vintage water
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

rhodsdon wrote:
I have a similar issue as well along with a feeling of binding up. Are rebuild kits, or parts available if the box needs to be rebuilt? I can't seem to find any online for a 1969 vintage bus. Any solution options that you know of? Checking before I open it up...

hi, a reproduction of parts from "our" parts has been made and is available at vintagevwfactory

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057138233258

a quite striking video in terms of cruising speed

https://www.facebook.com/100057138233258/videos/599456601592496

tchuss
rhodsdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Clunk Noise Reply with quote

Is there a way to use a post 1973 steering box on my '69 bus?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: