Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting ready for the long haul
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Small amount of progress on my winter upgrade.
I have power to the Can-Bus Keyboard.
I eliminated the ignition switch so the FOB operates a Solid State relay which supplies power to the PMU. The PMU powers up the Keyboard by default which then allows you to use the keyboard for any function you program into it. Each button is capable of 4 different functions and there are 7 colors that can be assigned for each desired function.

I have some plans for the buttons but I am still wiring the inputs and outputs from the Power Management Unit to each wire.
So far I have
PMU, KeyBoard, ECU, Acc output, Fuel Pump, Park lights, Headlights, Horn,
Injectors, Coil, Starter, wiper low, wiper high and park, Left and Right Turn and Brake light power. There will be more. Some stuff is combined to save outputs.

Here is a short video....If you look carefully through the windshield in the left corner you can see the red activation light on the SS Relay when I push the on button.

Link

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

My Buggy has emerged from it's winter hibernation and upgrades. I have my MS3Pro-Evo ECU installed and the EcuMasters PMU-16 installed along with an 8 button Can-Bus Keyboard.
I haven't programmed as much stuff into it as I wanted to but I have room to grow. I'll continue to add stuff later as time allows.

My wiring isn't what I hoped it would be but to clean it up better I would have to start from scratch. I didn't feel it worth the time and money to do that when the existing wiring will work for now. As I learn more about it I'll move other stuff to the Keyboard. Right now I just want to get it going good since we are going to Big Bear Lake again this summer to wash away the bitter taste of our defeat last summer.

Here is the dash with the keyboard ignition on and the headlights on.
Button #1 is ACC/IGN.....push once for ACC , the second time for IGN on and the third time for OFF.
Button #2 is Start. It is active anytime the rpm is lower than 500 rpm. You can even turn the engine over with the ignition off.
Button #3 is Tail/Headlights. Push one is tail...push two is tail/headlights. Push the third time to turn them all off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Button #8 is programmed as an indicator for my low water light. It turns the button red when my W/I tank gets low. It can still be programmed for four button functions.
Each button has four programmable functions....1,2,3,4. #4 is usually the off function. Each function can have any of 7 different colors assigned to the function or as an indicator for something else like my W/I low level.

I programmed button #1 to turn white when I powered up the Keyboard to remind me that I needed to turn the PMU off with the FOB when I left the Buggy.
It's all working pretty good and once we get the bugs out of the digital dash I can show that addition too.

I activate the keyboard with a FOB controlled Solid State Relay. It supplies power to the keyboard which then allows me to activate any function programmed into the keyboard.

Here is my wiring under the hood. It's not as clean as I wanted it to be but it will have to do for now. As I learn more I'll upgrade it and add more stuff to the keyboard and eliminate the switches and lights on the dash.

I have 60 plus miles on the buggy so far and have taken it to work twice this week. It's been 37-39 degrees at 6:00 am in the morning going to work. I just haven't had the ambition to drive too much with it as cool as it has been.

Big Bear is only two months away so I want to get some miles on it and polish up the tune on the new ECU. It has it's own learning curve with lots more options and more resolution.
Hopefully it will warm up soon and I'll get the ambition to drive it more. This year has been quite cool and wet and continues to stay that way.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

I got the last piece of my upgrade installed and working. I upgraded to an EcuMaster DMU5 digital dash. It's not cheap but it works and it's a better fit for me.
I have it displaying info on the first page but it has multiple pages and We will work through those later.
It works on Can-Bus and will display any info the ECU transmits over the Bus.

Here is a pic of it installed and with ignition on but not running.

It has more features but it will take a bit to incorporate all of it into a display.

I'll give it a good test on the way to work tomorrow if it's not raining.

On another note.....

Our trip to Big Bear Manx Meet 2022 is in 6 weeks. I need to get the buggy ready to go .
The pressure is on.........anyone else going????

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

No replies Clonebug...

You know why don't you! Idea

Admit you have a problem... it's the first step to healing you know... we all love you Buddy! You know deep down that this thing has gone too far... and... we don't want to see you hurt... Crying or Very sad

So... for everybody's good we are looking into some... rehab. There's a nice place up this way, it'll be best you know... to get away from temptation.

What do you say? Are you ready yet? Very Happy
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
No replies Clonebug...

Admit you have a problem... it's the first step to healing you know... we all love you Buddy! You know deep down that this thing has gone too far... and... we don't want to see you hurt... Crying or Very sad

So... for everybody's good we are looking into some... rehab. There's a nice place up this way, it'll be best you know... to get away from temptation.

Problem??? What problem??? It's only a problem if you admit it right??? Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

The weather around here has really sucked.....It's one of the coolest and wettest years in a long time and I've lived here all of my 62 years.....
The farmers have just managed to cut their first cutting of grass which is over a month later than the last 10 plus years and this last week they have finally started planting corm and potatoes.
It's just been too cool and wet.

The buggy is pretty well ready to go but I need to change the oil and filter and adjust valves. I want to wait since our mileage will be 3500 plus miles and I like to start with a fresh oil change.

Five weeks to go and we are on the road.......pretty exciting really...... Wink

I have only put on maybe 300 miles so far and usually I get close to a 1000 miles by now.

I have the dash working on two screens now and will continue to add other stuff as I deem it worthy of displaying.

I also adjusted the prototype mount down a little more so I can see everything through the steering wheel. Once I get the placement where I want it I'll have a mounting plate Cad drawn and CNC cut out of Stainless for a profession fit....either that or have one 3D printed out of black plastic.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Looking good, Look forward to seeing you at Big Bear 2022!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

manxvair wrote:
Looking good, Look forward to seeing you at Big Bear 2022!

Thank you, Sir!!!!! Hope to be there on Thursday.........We are looking forward to it.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Clonebug,
will you be posting up "play-by-play" highlights of your trip like you did last year? I'm looking forward to living vicariously through your posts until my buggy is done & ready for the journey to my Mrs.' former homeland.

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
oprn wrote:
No replies Clonebug...

Problem??? What problem??? It's only a problem if you admit it right??? Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

The weather around here has really sucked.....It's one of the coolest and wettest years in a long time and I've lived here all of my 62 years.....
The farmers have just managed to cut their first cutting of grass which is over a month later than the last 10 plus years and this last week they have finally started planting corm and potatoes.

The buggy is pretty well ready to go but I need to change the oil and filter and adjust valves. I want to wait since our mileage will be 3500 plus miles and I like to start with a fresh oil change.

I have only put on maybe 300 miles so far and usually I get close to a 1000 miles by now.

I have the dash working on two screens now and will continue to add other stuff as I deem it worthy of displaying.

I also adjusted the prototype mount down a little more so I can see everything through the steering wheel. Once I get the placement where I want it I'll have a mounting plate Cad drawn and CNC cut out of Stainless for a profession fit....either that or have one 3D printed out of black plastic.

I can personally attest that it continues to get worse and worse.....it is an addiction for sure.
I thought I had kicked it.....and was just gonna play with my VW trike and kit car.....but no.....,I fell off the wagon a couple weeks ago and will be back racing (not driving) again.

Somehow keep yourself limited to the buggy......don't let the addiction grow....... to hard to kick.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
Clonebug,
will you be posting up "play-by-play" highlights of your trip like you did last year? I'm looking forward to living vicariously through your posts until my buggy is done & ready for the journey to my Mrs.' former homeland.

I'll probably try to do a write up with some pics every night but it is time consuming and sometimes you just have to enjoy the trip through your own eyes instead of a camera. We will see how the the schedule goes.

The trip down will be a little more travel than the trip home do to having one week to get there and two weeks to get home.

We have the trip down on 395 figured out to some specific interest points and will probably drive a little harder to get there than just cruise slowly.

300 miles a day doesn't seem like many miles but it is still 6.0 hrs of driving along with gas stops every 200 miles plus feeding the Wife to keep her smiling.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

I built a new windscreen for the rollbar hoop and also installed my carrier.

Added another sticker to my traveling billboard..... Wink

It's getting closer to being ready. I put my E brake lock and my lug wrench back in the buggy and will start gathering a small bag of tools to take along with us.

I've set up a couple more pages on the dash display and also transferred three lights that were by the stereo to now show on the dash indicator section.

A blue 4.0 lb W/I indicator light
A green 9.0 lb W/I indicator light
And a yellow Launch control "active" light.

I can display fuel mileage just like the new cars can but I need to set up a gauge for that....all in due time.

It displays MPH off my speed sensor so I never have to look down at the speedo anymore....it's pretty nice.

I took a screen shot of my log page from a drive I did on Saturday. I had to test the lights and my boost tune. There is a lot of good info on there.

I just love my F/I........ Wink

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

This buggy is my hobby.......it's a hobby that I enjoy year around and I share it with my Wife.....She enjoys going on drives and even taking vacations in it.
I do have to go on her vacation every other year to be fair but that's a small price to pay.
I'm glad I don't have acreage or a big shop.....I'd probably be dead...... Shocked Sad

DeathBySnuSnu wrote:
clonebug wrote:
oprn wrote:
No replies Clonebug...

I can personally attest that it continues to get worse and worse.....it is an addiction for sure.
I thought I had kicked it.....and was just gonna play with my VW trike and kit car.....but no.....,I fell off the wagon a couple weeks ago and will be back racing (not driving) again.

Somehow keep yourself limited to the buggy......don't let the addiction grow....... to hard to kick.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

4 Days to launch.......buggy is as ready as it can get. Weather has finally gotten warm here so we can acclimate a bit before we go.
We haven't seen over 70*F since probably September........and if we did it was maybe a couple days...
Looking forward to some beautiful scenery and relaxing evenings.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Safe travels, we'll see you on the Mountain!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

manxvair wrote:
Safe travels, we'll see you on the Mountain!!

Thanks Mike....Looking forward to being there!!!!

2 Days to Launch.........

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

We are 1350 miles into the trip. Currently in Lone Pine for the night and possibly another night to relax and enjoy the views.
We drove up to Whitney Portal this afternoon and it is a sight to behold. Pictures cannot really do it justice.
The parking lot is at 8234 ft. AMSL. and the mountains tower another 6000 plus ft almost straight up.

The views from Mono Lake to Lone Pine are beautiful too.

Mono Lake is roughly at 6300 ft. AMSL.

Summits are 7600-8100 ft and the lower parts are 6000-6500 ft.

I was seeing 78 kpa on my Digital dash at rest.....sea level is 100 kpa.

Good thing I have a turbo to compensate for air pressure. It took up to 3.0 lbs. boost to bring the engine back to 100 kpa.

Here is a pic of my Digital dash at rest with engine off but ignition on at Mamie Lake which is at 8900 ft. AMSL. That translates to 10.731 lbs. pressure instead of the 14.7 lbs. at sea level.
In other terms it is 22.37 inHg on a barometer.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

There you go! That is exactly what turbos on aircraft are intended to do. They are not looking for big HP numbers, just to maintain sea level air pressure of 101.3 kPa at altitude in the intake manifold. It gives them the ability to take off at high altitude airports with ease and clear those high mountain peaks.

When we are driving our cars through the mountain passes we rarely think about power loss due to altitude. We just blame the steepness of the road. This fact became clear to me years ago with my first turboed engine. Suddenly I was passing V8 powered cars in the passes on the uphill that I could not normally touch on level ground at home.

Nearly killed myself once though. It was a very steep curvy road and at the top was a hairpin turn that should have been marked with a speed limit sign of about 40 mph. I was enjoying the handling of the car and the power of the turbo, doing a bit of sporty driving and hit the curve at 70+ mph. It was a good thing there was no oncoming traffic as I used the whole road and a bit more! Then I realized that at that altitude the big trucks would have been down to 20 mph or less already and most cars would have been lucky to hit 40 mph.

Yes a turbo to a great degree automatically compensates for altitude. As the air density drops the load on the compressor goes down and the turbo speeds up and maintains that air density.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

So you drove right by when you turned off 395 and you didn't even wave? Cool

The logical route would have you turning off 395 at Adelanto making a left at Air Base Rd. (3rd traffic light) to go towards Route 66, then right into Victorville where 66 becomes Hwy 18, then over the hill into Apple valley and continue east to the steep north route up the mountain to Big Bear.

If you turned right at the 1st light in Adelanto, then you would have been heading towards my home. Not that you need to do that. Just seems you come a LOOONG way and pass fairly near by. Because of my cancer, I can't come up to Big Bear right now (even though we have an invitation to come up and stay at a friend's house) for the Manx event. Nor even drive over to 395. Hell, I can't drive at all right now because of the cancer. Rolling Eyes But if these cancer treatments I start next week work, maybe another year when you are coming to the Manx event I could meet you up there.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
So you drove right by when you turned off 395 and you didn't even wave? Cool

The logical route would have you turning off 395 at Adelanto making a left at Air Base Rd. (3rd traffic light) to go towards Route 66, then right into Victorville where 66 becomes Hwy 18, then over the hill into Apple valley and continue east to the steep north route up the mountain to Big Bear.

If you turned right at the 1st light in Adelanto, then you would have been heading towards my home. Not that you need to do that. Just seems you come a LOOONG way and pass fairly near by. Because of my cancer, I can't come up to Big Bear right now (even though we have an invitation to come up and stay at a friend's house) for the Manx event. Nor even drive over to 395. Hell, I can't drive at all right now because of the cancer. Rolling Eyes But if these cancer treatments I start next week work, maybe another year when you are coming to the Manx event I could meet you up there.

Hey Rich,

Sorry to hear about your cancer. I truly hope the treatments go well for you.

I thought about going up to Big Bear that way, but we left Lone Pine later due to checking out Alabama Hills in the cooler part of the morning. It gets pretty toasty in the desert from the Ridgecrest area on. We found it easier to beat feet on to Barstow for a cool room and then a short drive in the cool of the morning to Big Bear up 247 to 18. Traffic is pretty light when we go so, we can enjoy the view and go at a slower pace.
I'm glad we did because we went down into San Bernadino that way after the The Big Bear Meet ended and that is one steep road.
The climb from Inyokern over Red Mountain is pretty brutal too. It must have been 20 miles of 6% grade in almost 100 degrees.
We are happy to have made it problem free so far. The stress of getting past our breakdown point of Carson City last year was a major point in our trip.

If or when we go again, we will have to make a point of meeting up. I'm sure you would have some interesting stories to tell.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for the long haul Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan.

Barstow is only an hour away and so is Lucerne. and coming from the north like you did, the Barstow route does make much better sense. I just expect most to stay on 395 until the turnoff to 18. Actually the north side from Lucerne is steeper than the south side to San Bernardino. Lucerne is higher than San Berdoo though, so to many, the south side seems like much more climb/drop even though it's not really as steep.

Your pictures of the trip down 395 bring plenty of memories to me. Been up and down that quite a few times. That spot where you pulled off to take pictures above Mono lake is the summit of Hiway 395. We like to turn off just north of there to go up to Virginia Lakes and Trumbull Lake about 9700'. Nice spot to fish for trout. And just about 3 miles north of that is the turnoff to the preserved ghost town Bodie. Just a thousand places to visit along that route unless you're a city lover.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: