Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 490, 491, 492 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Once it reaches that point vice grips are the only solution, you decide how mangled it is afterwards and if you feel like doing bubble flares to replace it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

DocNexil wrote:
Replacing master cylinder on a '71. One of the hard brake line nuts are stripping trying to remove. My flared 11mm wrench isn't working on it anymore, are there any tricks to get it out? Thanks.

I bought an 11mm flare nut wrench from NAPA while out on the road once that must have been made of pot metal, I could watch it spread as I applied force to the nuts and would have strip the nuts had I not stopped. Had to borrow a wrench to get the job done.
Disko72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hi folks! I'm not a mechanic, but am always trying to learn. I have a 1972 Bay Westie with a Weber Progressive Carb. Ive noticed that I am getting a recurring "rattling" from the motor in 3rd or 4th, and a loss of power, when going up even a slight hill. I had one mechanic solve it, and I think he said it was something like fuel advance adjustment, however I am not sure. Quick question - is there an adjustment I can make on this carb that will make a difference? Or is it worthy of a full tune-up? Hoping to leave on a 5 hour drive tomorrow am Anxious
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Sounds like your timing might be too far advanced and you are getting knock. If so you might kill your engine in short order. You need a timing light to time one of these engine well and the stock style timing scale that kind of fits around the engine cooling fan needs to be there. The best timing spec to use is 28-32° BTDC @3800+ rpms, hoses removed from the distributor and plugged. Since you have a progressive carb, you would not want to reconnect the hose for the retard function, assuming you have such, but leave the hose plugged off.

The engine can be timed without either of the above, but it would be a steep learning curve.

I would recommend you not drive anywhere until you get this issue taken care of. Samba member Germansupplyscott is in Toronto and may be able to help you out here.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

What version of FI does my stock 77 bus have? You know like - J-Tronic or LMNOP-Tronic? Which one?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
What version of FI does my stock 77 bus have? You know like - J-Tronic or LMNOP-Tronic? Which one?

L-jetronic

There is a trouble shooting manual in The Samba Technical Section.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
notchboy wrote:

L-jetronic

There is a trouble shooting manual in The Samba Technical Section.

Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusThang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Rivi luggage tray Reply with quote

Hi folks!
It's been a long time coming but I'm finally putting my 78 Rivi back together trying to finish enough for a 2 week trip in September. I'm in the process now of putting the front luggage tray back on and can't remember what might go under it before I bolt it down. Should there be any spacers between it and the cab? Anything between the back lip and the metal? Putty strip or foam cushion? TIA

Link to my build -

http://athensvwclub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1311
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Rivi luggage tray Reply with quote

BusThang wrote:
Hi folks!
It's been a long time coming but I'm finally putting my 78 Rivi back together trying to finish enough for a 2 week trip in September. I'm in the process now of putting the front luggage tray back on and can't remember what might go under it before I bolt it down. Should there be any spacers between it and the cab? Anything between the back lip and the metal? Putty strip or foam cushion? TIA

Might be some ideas here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

I would think at the very least some rubber washers between the rack and the roof skin would be necessary, a little space for air flow and drainage keeps the rust away.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
BusThang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Busdaddy. I read each topic in your link but there are no details about reattachment. I will put small rubber spacers between the roof and rack. There's about a 3/16 gap there. Just not sure about the back section against the metal.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link to my build -

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

A number of small rubber rectangles or washers along there wouldn't hurt, anything that's paint friendly and makes a small gap.

Слава Україні!
BusThang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
A number of small rubber rectangles or washers along there wouldn't hurt, anything that's paint friendly and makes a small gap.

Great idea. Thanks again.

Link to my build -

GS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

First child is on its way so i am going to use the child cot in the early bay. Does anyone know the temperature to wash the child cot in the washing machine?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

GS wrote:
First child is on its way so i am going to use the child cot in the early bay. Does anyone know the temperature to wash the child cot in the washing machine?

Cold, it's cotton and will shrink, don't put it in the dryer.

Слава Україні!
Tahlequah Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

971 bus thats been sitting in a field since 1987. Today was suppose to be first drive but i have rookie biatch issue. pulled rear down for brake rehab, smooth sailing until left rear drum/ hub refused hand tools. So i use my proto puller and drag it off w/ barely bending any brakes parts. All new cyliders, shoes, lines and notice left rear axle is pushed far back through the housing. ive managed to getback in enough to get some threads for the axle nut. Greaswed everything and tried several times but still no luck getting hub seated, i'm abt 12mm short to cotter pin the castle nut. any help out there? thanks so much
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'm assuming it looked normal before disassembly?

Since the puller pushes against the axle, and it's not held into the bearings in any way when the nut's off I'll guess you shoved it inwards a bit, have you tried tightening up the nut to pull it back out.

Слава Україні!
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I would pull the hub off to make sure the inner race of the roller bearing hasn't been pushed out of the bearing when you were
getting the stub axle back in place. Once that inner bearing gets
pushed out, it can be somewhat of a pain to get it inserted back in contact with the rollers. I believe some real damage could be caused by trying to tighten the axle nut with the inner bearing race out of place.

I'm assuming here you have the later-style outer roller bearing that has the rollers integral with the outer race.

Last edited by kreemoweet on Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tahlequah Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
I would pull the hub off to make sure the inner race of the roller bearing hasn't been pushed out of the bearing when you were
getting the stub axle back in place. Once that inner bearing gets
pushed out, it can be somewhat of a pain to get it inserted back in contact with the rollers. I believe some real damage could be caused by trying to tighten the axle nut with the inner bearing out of place.

I'm assuming here you have the later-style outer roller bearing that has the rollers integral with the outer race.

i did try to snug it up and its set like that for a day now. i'll start taking it apart.
if only id have noticed the 2 pc drum before the proto came out
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I need the dimensions of a dining table fastener strap & snap which secures the table in the rear hatch when not in use. This would apply to a '76-'79 Westfalia.
Thanks in advance if you're able to help.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
I need the dimensions of a dining table fastener strap & snap which secures the table in the rear hatch when not in use. This would apply to a '76-'79 Westfalia.
Thanks in advance if you're able to help.

Its the same strap used to hold the curtains back. Same snaps as the mosquito net.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 490, 491, 492 ... 513, 514, 515  Next
Jump to:
Page 491 of 515

Jump to: