Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weird clutch issue, ideas?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

Back ground: type 4 engine, type 1 transaxle, replaced throughout bearing, cross shaft, installed new tube on the input shaft all to make proper parts match for late pressure plate/throughout bearing combo. Same clutch and pressure plate all in good condition.

On start up the gears could not be engaged with the engine running. Engine off all gears normal. Started engine with transmission in gear, feels like the clutch is hanging up, car wants to creep a bit. Re-checked clutch cable adjustment, all good.

Took the car for a drive and all seemed OK so I thought... maybe a bit of rust on the input shaft spline from sitting? I did very lightly lube it though as is my habit.

Now several hundred miles later, the issue keeps cropping up randomly, without warning. Stop at a stop light and have to shut the engine off to get it in 1st gear. Then all is good again. Last evening it got worse, it was hard to shift in all gears on the road for about the last hour of the trip. Pulled up in front of the garage and shut it off, unload the car and start it up again to put it in to investigate the problem, all normal again! No problem to investigate!

What the heck??!! Previous throw out bearing had exploded, did I miss some bits lodged in the pressure plate?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

Maybe some of the diaphram arms or springs if that style are weaker than others and cause the throwout arm to push at an angle. That might explain why the throwout bearing exploded.....????
Replace the PP and disc. They aren't that expensive.

For you it probably isn't too tough to pull the engine but for me it's about a 6 hour job each way.
I like to make sure I won't have to pull it apart in the middle of the driving season. Wink

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

It exploded because I had the wrong combination of parts, old throw out bearing running on a newer ring less pressure plate. Ran that way for 2 years but shouldn't have lasted a trip around the block. Now all the parts are correct.

I hear you about not wanting to have issues on the road. The way my exhaust system is interwoven with the engine cage makes it an all day job to pull the engine unfortunately... my own fault really for wanting something out of the norm.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

I just took the Buggy for another spin up the road and back. Wrung it out a bit, a couple hard runs up to 5K and 70 mph with some stick slapping and the clutch and transmission are working perfectly again! I cannot see how it needs a new pressure plate and disc. They are either broken or they are not. They don't fix themselves.

I have made a decision, the trip to the north country in the Buggy is off, we will take the Jetta instead. It gets double the fuel mileage anyway. The Buggy is relegated to close to home jaunts (2 or 3 hours one way) for now. I refuse to take it apart again without doing the IRS conversion and the 944 rear discs. I don't have time to do that and make the north trip right now.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Back ground: type 4 engine, type 1 transaxle

On start up the gears could not be engaged with the engine running. Engine off all gears normal. Started engine with transmission in gear, feels like the clutch is hanging up, car wants to creep a bit. Re-checked clutch cable adjustment, all good.

This kind of says it. You have the transmission in gear, clutch pushed in and teh car wants to creep when you start it.

It sounds like the disc is not fully disengaging....either because:

1. you need cable adjustment

2. An issue with the bowden tube and not getting full pull on the cable

3. The flywheel deck where the PP sits maybe was machined down too far...not enough gap between PP and disc.

4. The disk is a bit thicker than normal

It could even be an issue with the pedal not giving full stroke or the throwout arm bending.

Just some thoughts

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

Thanks Ray but - it was all working fine for 3 years before the throw out bearing failed and most of the time is working fine again now. Just once in a while it does this... randomly! None of the items you touched on can change randomly. As for the peddle stops, they are missing so the peddle travels a bit too far right now both ways. I need to make some and install them but it has been that way from the beginning.

Right at the moment it is all working perfectly again having done nothing to correct it. I am leaning toward either the pilot shaft bearing in the flywheel trying to seize or a random bit of something floating around in the pressure plate/clutch disc area and getting lodged somewhere now and then. There is nothing else I can think of that would change so randomly.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Thanks Ray but - it was all working fine for 3 years before the throw out bearing failed and most of the time is working fine again now. Just once in a while it does this... randomly! None of the items you touched on can change randomly. As for the peddle stops, they are missing so the peddle travels a bit too far right now both ways. I need to make some and install them but it has been that way from the beginning.

Right at the moment it is all working perfectly again having done nothing to correct it. I am leaning toward either the pilot shaft bearing in the flywheel trying to seize or a random bit of something floating around in the pressure plate/clutch disc area and getting lodged somewhere now and then. There is nothing else I can think of that would change so randomly.

Hmmmm. The pilot bearing occasionally grabbing could cause this. But along that same thought process.....what can cause grabbing or wear at the pilot bearing with some engine,/trans combos is the support if transmission or engine changing by a lot and putting the input shaft in a bind .....alignment wise.

So if the tail cone bushing on the trans is rotting away or taking a set from age or has-been repositioned.....or a mid point hanger bar or rear mustache bar....whatever your set up is using.....it might cause this.
Think of it as less of the pilot bear being in a bind and more like the disk is running at a slight angle to the flywheel.

It can come and go as trans/engine mounts shift due to driving vibration and bumps. I am assuming you are using a type 1 trans with your type 4 engine so I can't really say in your case. I have limited ownership experience with that combo (like only one).

But type 4 cars.....with type 4 engines and transmissions.....have this exact problem. On those, 100% of the drive train weight is "suspended" by the crossbar over the trans/engine joint in the bell housing. The rear hanger bar and engine tail cone bushings are free floating range of motion arrestor.

If either of those last two mentioned bushings gets too tight and puts force on the transmission....it effectively puts a very slight bend in the mainshaft and misaligns the clutch disc causing shift problems very similar to what you are getting. Ray
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

Hmmm... now there is a possibility. Type 1 swing axle, solid mount on the bell housing, stock mount on the nose cone, no mounts on the engine. I will check all mounts for bolt tightness.

Thanks Ray!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

Hmmm... now there is a possibility. Type 1 swing axle, solid mount on the bell housing, stock mount on the nose cone, no mounts on the engine. I will check all mounts for bolt tightness.

Thanks Ray!
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

Any chance the clutch cable tube in the tunnel might have a broken weld?

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

I suppose there is. Would I hear some sort of noise operating the clutch with the engine off to indicate that? How else would one diagnose that?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

Pull the shifter and u can see if the cable 'housing' moves about? Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

I was wondering if that would work! Also thinking of having the Missus work the clutch and see if there is any visual inconsistency in the action at the bell housing end.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

We went for a 3 hour drive this evening and it happened twice again. I think I had an "AH - ha!" moment and now know what is happening.

Bed time now so I will do the fix in the morning and see if I'm right!
dunk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I suppose there is. Would I hear some sort of noise operating the clutch with the engine off to indicate that? How else would one diagnose that?

What Mike said!.. and..

If the front spot weld breaks near the pedals you can normally hear a loud creaking noise...or..if its only just snapped.. a loud clicking sound as the cracked joint moves and then clicks back into place..

If the back one has gone, you can slide the cable boot forward under the car where the clutch and acc. Cable come through the floorpan.. and watch the tube wriggle around when someone operates it!

I've had a case where all 3 were gone.... and yes, the car was still on the road Shocked

Good luck!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

Well, the engine/transaxle mounting bolts are all good, I don't see or hear any evidence of the cable tube being loose, however - The clutch peddle has always been a bit funky. By that I mean it has never lined up with the brake peddle. Here is a picture.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have intended to adjust the clutch peddle stop to even the peddle up but the bolt was frozen with rust. So I always have adjusted the clutch so that it contacts the pressure plate right about where it should if the peddles were lined up properly. This leaves about 2" of free play.

I'm thinking what is happening is the cable is going slack and dropping down lower out of the hook inside the tunnel and when I step on the clutch the next time the adjustments are all out of whack because the cable is now pulling from lower on the hook lever. The confirmation in my mind was that last trip out, both times that the problem happened I gave the clutch peddle 3 quick short taps and instantly all was normal again. The cable end is popping back up into place.

So, today, WD40 and a rattle gun got the bolt out. Cleaned it up and lubed it, put it back in place and... turns out the adjustment effects both the clutch AND the brake peddle at the same time! I can now get the clutch peddle to stand up where it should with a 1/2' of free play but I have lost 1/2 of my brake peddle travel. And the peddles don't line up any different than they did before!
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

Might be time to find another pedal assembly to try out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

Next time you pull the engine put a small amount of anti seize on the splines of the input shaft where the disc rides. At work we see this quite a bit on trucks with twin disc clutches, one of the discs grips onto the shaft and launches the truck forward/drags on either the flywheel or floating plate or pressure plate. Anti seize on the shaft cures it every time, damn Nissan(UD)....

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

66brm wrote:
Next time you pull the engine put a small amount of anti seize on the splines of the input shaft where the disc rides. At work we see this quite a bit on trucks with twin disc clutches, one of the discs grips onto the shaft and launches the truck forward/drags on either the flywheel or floating plate or pressure plate. Anti seize on the shaft cures it every time, damn Nissan(UD)....

Yup, agreed! I always use a touch of light grease or in this case I used CopperKote anti-seize.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird clutch issue, ideas? Reply with quote

It could be any part of the clutch system. Perhaps the side play of the fork?
I'm sure you can examine the whole cable system and see any problem just not very comfortable to access.
But it, just maybe, is a problem with the trans. If the mainshaft has too much end play that can cause shifting problems or drag that comes and goes.
If all else fails check that and if it seems to have too muchplay , if so, take the nosecone off and see if the top bearing is wearing into the nosecone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: