Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ultimate campmobile ideas
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

havent used this yet as this is an addition to daughters build. flipped the leg over as it puts the outside height just right for cooking on a coleman.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjrm63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/LNmV7Hc3Lsk
https://youtu.be/_WXKoQPZbQI
I took an old power washer handle and cut it in pieces so it would swivel into a table platform then stow away under and out of the way when I turn the seat around. It’s held in place by the round magnets when stowed away and the table top is stowed on the side of the jump seat
Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:
I've spent a lot of time pondering the answer to this very question....... if i were tasked with creating the 'ultimate' late Bay Westie derivative, i would consider the following:

storage over the kitchen (like the Vanagon shelf, or a full-fledged cabinet), ideally with a fan mounted underneath of it to act as a cooking exhaust through the jalousie, and a fresh air intake for chilling out.

Danfoss-Secop remote mount compressor/condenser kit (as sold by Marine vendors) - retaining the original Westfalia cooler and wrapping it in Aerogel insulation - compressor near it and condenser underneath the vehicle with a rock guard (OR..... swap to a Danfoss-Secop BD35 based refrigerator/freezer with a new kitchen cabinet config, and use the fender well cooler area for storage and/or ice cooler functionality...would be pretty "cool" to have your drinks on ice in there and the fridge full of food... you won't be upset if the ice all melts)

Fixed jump seat behind front passenger seat - specifically designed to house a potty - I would build it to accept the Thetford Curve and Laveo Dry-Flush (everything else is "crap", IMO). Ideally able to be moved/removed so you can still use your swivel seat at times...and end up seating 4 around the interior table effectively.

Hose bib / faucet valve in rear spare wheel well with shower hose
Shower curtain mounted in rear tailgate, with similar approach as Vogel "Vanaroo" for Vanagon, with a cedar plank floor that can be attached to curtain bottom (such that it will secure the curtain tautly when said plank floor is on the ground)

Large under-vehicle water tank such as Reimo, to increase capacity and free storage inside (possibly with 12V heating element and aerogel wrap, if you plan to use it <32F/0C)

12V 6L water heater (from Australia) - set to 167F - with 2x (redundant) thermostatic safety valves plumbed at the outlet set somewhere around 108 - 120F

Attwood check tee with hose bib inlet for "hookups" at camp site, and 12V SeaFlo 42 load-sensing pump

0.5 micron water filter / Pentek slim housing with stainless "home brew quick disconnects" to pull the housing out for changes (or bypass it, if needed)
UV LED germicidal light on water supply (or just use EF-Chlor tablets on every fill and let the filter take the chlorine out.. I'd probably still use the tablets with the light, tends to keep the tank immaculate)

2 x Aolithium 100Ah LiiFePO4 batteries (with Bluetooth BMS, that you should monitor religiously) in the engine bay in the standard positions, bridged together. No isolator. Ideally 5 of them, if you get creative with the metal in the bay and can lose things like a stock air box.

Victron BatteryProtect at your house fuse panel (inverter must bypass this, because it presents a capacitor based load, but a good inverter will have its own voltage cut off)

Victron MultiPlus (inverter, AC-DC charger and transfer switch, in one) or a separate inverter, transfer-switch relay and separate LFP specific charger .. and 110V exterior inlet to power the interior outlet and charger when on hookups (and transfer switch to automatically swap to inverter mode on the outlet when unplugged)

Victron Smart Shunt (optional) battery monitor

12V CruiseNComfort A/C system (ideally set up with thermostatic switching and battery bank such that you can run it while you sleep off-grid)

Large solar array with 100% roof coverage - should be approx 400-500W

Westfalia front child's cot (this is your massive front shelf while camped)

Propex HS2211 under-chassis heater

Rear mounted cargo rack to carry all your shit so you can actually use the Bus to sleep in without being bummed out about all the shit in your trunk blocking it.. Ideally with a 12V pellet wood smoker BBQ on it on arm like a late westy table Wink and a pellet wood fire pit and a 50lb dogfood container or two of pellets...to go with it.

NASA memory foam (aka ConforFoam) cushions to replace rear bench/bed extension and upper bunk foam. Multiple density composite... would be nice if one could make it as thick as a Riviera lower bed, as well.

Wow some serious thought here and I completely agree that all just sounds perfect! I’m definitely going to start working my way through this list.
Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

Loads of awesome ideas and given me lots of plans.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

I'm aware that I'm a light traveler and this extends to camping. When I attend an annual gathering for a week, I pack one suitcase and maybe a couple of hangers. That's all. When I go camping, it is not on a whimsical notion or to take advantage of the prescribed calendar holidays, but to escape the tedious and banal trappings of towns, people and by extension, the internet. I haven't been to a VW Bus campout in many years (High Country Bus Fest & EveryBus). I was just last week telling a friend that in my 30+ years of Bus (mostly Westfalia) driving, I've only used my roof racks twice that I can remember. The provided stock Westfalia accommodations have always been enough for my needs. I typically carry a few books, writing pad, Nikon camera, blanket/sleeping bag, Coleman's gas range, iron skillet (I used to carry my wok), water & food. I have had gas stoves in my Westfalia Berlins, but I'm not about to cook up something inside the Bus. I have to admit that I've only ever used them to heat water or cook something that has a low smell to it and not use oil (grits, etc.). I would not want to return from a camping trip and weeks later still smell frybread, stir fry or aloo gobi masala in my Bus. I always carry along food that I've put up (canned/cooked and stored in sealed Mason jars) to eliminate as much food prep on the range as possible. For years, I have eaten only one meal a day (except in Autumn and Winter, when I most always bake a dessert). This reduction in food equates to a reduction in the amount of space I will need to utilize. I went from 6'3" & 265 to 235 lbs.

The "spice rack," as they call it, above the sink & range in the Vanagon Westfalia GLs (Deluxes) was a smart addition. I wonder if anyone has ever attempted to install one on a Bay Window?

I agree with RichParker that Bay Window people tend to appreciate the simplicity of these Buses. When I had my '86 Vanagon Westfalia GL, I bought 16" wheels, a power inverter & other upgrades that seemed to only improve that Bus. I wouldn't consider ideas like 16" wheels for my '79. It is nearly perfect as is.

I also agree about utilizing otherwise wasted space, such as the spare tire well, under the front seats, on top of the closet, in the unused sink, installing under dash Bambus style parcel shelves for lighter things and hanging bags/baskets/backpacks from the push bar for the pop top. Those who are not likely to ever use their water tanks could remove them for extra cabinet space.

In the interest of "ultimate Campmobile ideas," I put a gas heater/Propex on the top of that list. I've never owned one (but want to) and I never camp in the dead of Winter for this reason. Despite being the most hot blooded person I've ever known, I don't think I'm a match for Mother Nature when it's 25 F outside.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
In the UK it seems to be all about making the interior look like an IKEA kitchen. Not a fan personally

Agreed on all points.

I doubt changing the likely nonfunctional original refrig matters much for resale but I'd hesitate to do much more.

The "best mods" is going to be entirely dependent on your situation. 20 years ago I often travelled with my three kids and maybe their friends. So a weekender setup is all I wanted. Full width bed and two jumpseats. Seat belt improvements were the next priority. If you are solo or double passenger in your bus, maybe you have different priorities. I only camp in real campgrounds, others may try to stealth (bad idea in a westy imo),I dont stay long,some want to stay off grid for a month.

In otherwords ULTIMATE must be ultimate to you.

One other thing, camp in your bus and see what you like. I don't cook inside mostly bc it makes no sense when Im usually looking at a picnic table and I want neither the risk of fire or the smell of bacon, garlic, or whatever in my bus for the rest of my life. I REALLY like (way more than I imagined) the simple rear tent thing from Bus Depot. Kombi Kabin looks cool too. And awnings/side tents are the best.

None of this stuff in glamping type things you will see on #vanlife pages with ritzy vanagons, mostly because so many of those people don't actually camp and are just searching for social media hits. 7

I can always tell who doesn't actually camp bc real campers are primarily concerned with ventilation (summer OR winter), screens to cover side door, front windows, rear hatch, other windows, rain protection for them, fans, maybe AC.

Vanlifers/ fake campers talk about massive electrical systems, wool insulation etc and often build things that waste even more of the precious space with unneeded glamping crap (to say nothing of the extra weight in an already overburdened beast). I've actually seen those clowns putting marble countertops in a damn camper (though it was a Sprinter not a Vanagon).

I do have a house battery and an inverter but I could live without it easily. And I will be experimenting with a diesel heater primarily bc it was so damn cheap. A propex would be wonderful no doubt.

Some of metalhackers ideas sound cool, but solar just isnt that important (or funtional) in the midwest where we have cloud cover most days. Even when I have what seems like direct sunlight the solar panels produce only about 60-70% due to high thin cloud layers I guess. Regardless don't put off your camping adventures waiting to save thousands for some big electrical system.

Using that lost space makes great sense. Some of it is in plain view. That area behind the driver seat could be put to better use IMO with a tall cabinet, maybe even to the ceiling as was common in some models. Any of the outboard and high areas could have "spice racks" as others have mentioned. The same area could also have hooks etc to allow small bags to hang, and still be moveable if for some reason you need the space. I've seen bungies or cargo nets there too or in the area of the "head banger" often carrying those light pillows, blankets etc that you don't want getting dirty if you are working on the engine, or travelling with stuff that used to be outside of the bus now on the inside.

I really like some of the concepts this guy is using in a Sienna minivan build for using the storage in those wasted upper areas. https://youtu.be/_-tC7Iddh_A?t=116

The whole Big Emma thread is good too. See where they spend their efforts? I just glanced again and I saw a big roof vent, mosquito screen for the hatch etc. REAL people actually camping in bus. Im going to watch the videos later. The good thing about getting old is even the threads you may have posted in years ago or older youtube videos are NEW to you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:06 am; edited 6 times in total
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
I've ever known, I don't think I'm a match for Mother Nature when it's 25 F outside.

That isn't even cold. That doesn't even take a sleeping bag, or anything more than the most basic of bags. It certainly doesn't take a heater. A single burner propane boiling water for coffee in the morning and cocoa or green tea at night will knock the edge off the cold easily when you are getting into and out of that sleeplng bag.

Winter camping is fabulous, it really is. I love not feeling so damn sticky and icky all the time. And it makes the time around the campfire or that much better.

And the ladies are more snuggling when it is a bit nippy.

BTW agree completely with your camping style.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
creative native wrote:
I've ever known, I don't think I'm a match for Mother Nature when it's 25 F outside.

That isn't even cold. That doesn't even take a sleeping bag, or anything more than the most basic of bags. It certainly doesn't take a heater. A single burner propane boiling water for coffee in the morning and cocoa or green tea at night will knock the edge off the cold easily when you are getting into and out of that sleeplng bag.

Winter camping is fabulous, it really is. I love not feeling so damn sticky and icky all the time. And it makes the time around the campfire or that much better.

+273 Kelvin

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Sash_Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

Without question the BEST accessory I have experienced in a camper bus is the addition of a hightop. Hands down!!!

Followed closely by a trailer. I wouldn't go back to a single wheel trailer, I am on the hunt for the right motorcycle two wheel trailer though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjrm63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

Winter camping is the best
https://youtu.be/R6l3oYqBd88
https://youtu.be/Gs7KjkBlTiU
https://youtu.be/rZGrasIDN8M
https://youtu.be/o_9X6btS7IY
https://youtu.be/6E988yaIHuM
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
creative native wrote:

I have used a Coleman's tent heater inside my Buses for about 20 years for camping when it gets very cold in the night. That has worked great for me. I also don't like camping in the heat, Nemobuscaptain. That is torture to me. Some cousins of mine were in a band in the old days and I'd travel around with them to music fests & other gigs in my Bus as their photographer. When I woke up one morning in 80-some degree temperatures already, I was sweaty, hot, the sheets were soaked as if I'd sweat out a fever and that just ruined my good humor for hours. I had to go into town and get a hotel room just to take a proper shower (then let others go to the room for a shower). When I camp in the warm & hot months, I always go to the higher elevations around Boone & Blowing Rock, if you know the area. If it's 80 degrees here, it will be around 65-70 there and it's less than an hour away.
Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
I'm aware that I'm a light traveler and this extends to camping. When I attend an annual gathering for a week, I pack one suitcase and maybe a couple of hangers. That's all. When I go camping, it is not on a whimsical notion or to take advantage of the prescribed calendar holidays, but to escape the tedious and banal trappings of towns, people and by extension, the internet. I haven't been to a VW Bus campout in many years (High Country Bus Fest & EveryBus). I was just last week telling a friend that in my 30+ years of Bus (mostly Westfalia) driving, I've only used my roof racks twice that I can remember. The provided stock Westfalia accommodations have always been enough for my needs. I typically carry a few books, writing pad, Nikon camera, blanket/sleeping bag, Coleman's gas range, iron skillet (I used to carry my wok), water & food. I have had gas stoves in my Westfalia Berlins, but I'm not about to cook up something inside the Bus. I have to admit that I've only ever used them to heat water or cook something that has a low smell to it and not use oil (grits, etc.). I would not want to return from a camping trip and weeks later still smell frybread, stir fry or aloo gobi masala in my Bus. I always carry along food that I've put up (canned/cooked and stored in sealed Mason jars) to eliminate as much food prep on the range as possible. For years, I have eaten only one meal a day (except in Autumn and Winter, when I most always bake a dessert). This reduction in food equates to a reduction in the amount of space I will need to utilize. I went from 6'3" & 265 to 235 lbs.

The "spice rack," as they call it, above the sink & range in the Vanagon Westfalia GLs (Deluxes) was a smart addition. I wonder if anyone has ever attempted to install one on a Bay Window?

I also agree about utilizing otherwise wasted space, such as the spare tire well, under the front seats, on top of the closet, in the unused sink, installing under dash Bambus style parcel shelves for lighter things and hanging bags/baskets/backpacks from the push bar for the pop top. Those who are not likely to ever use their water tanks could remove them for extra cabinet space.

In the interest of "ultimate Campmobile ideas," I put a gas heater/Propex on the top of that list. I've never owned one (but want to) and I never camp in the dead of Winter for this reason. Despite being the most hot blooded person I've ever known, I don't think I'm a match for Mother Nature when it's 25 F outside.

Spice rack, I am certainly willing and preparing to be the first! I think it will make great space and easily reversible if needed.

Under dash shelves are already fitted. Great thinking with the pop top hanging. I have seen some door organisers that could probably attach to that bar!

I have a Propex system, its brilliant! made camping in -4degc with the pop top open a pleasure kept temps at around 17 Degc all night.
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

Things that I did to make my westy layout work better for me:

Chuck the sink / coolbox unit out. Too small to be anything other than a night-time pisser, the coolbox was rubbish, chances of finding a half decent fridge to fit in the hole minimal. Opens up a load of useful floorspace for lugging other crap around, when I don't have a (decent-sized...) fridge strapped in there.

Things that would make my life easier:

The sodding rock'n'roll bed not being such an ass to lift / get under. I think the later ones are better in this regard, and I sure it's something that could be solved with a couple of well-place hydraulic struts or something, but I'm kind of lary of something overpowered tearing holes in the wood. Like to see what other people have done here.

Awnings / outside living:

Gone through a few different iterations now, from the big vintage steel framed beast (way too heavy, sweaty hour of assembly required), more modern tunnel awning (attachment point to the car the weak point, torn away by a southerly gale in deep south NZ), minimal sun awning (attachment point to the car sucky again) and now one of the bigger 4wd awnings that bolts to roof bars. Yet to put it up, obviously lose the utility of the poptop which is a pain, but trialling it to see which space I value more and whether the thing will take a breeze of more than 15 knots....If this proves a pita I may just go with something like a car tarp like this one - https://www.naturehike.com/collections/canopy/prod...e-portable - and drill a hole in the gutter or something...

Power / batteries:

A decent leisure battery setup was on my list for a while, but now we're seeing these lithium power stations in the market they firmly go into the why would I bother bucket. Can grab a decent power station with an inverter for a laptop and enough juice to power a fridge for 40 hours for about a thou NZ bucks, use it in the house when there's a power cut, not lug another heavy battery with me when I don't need it, etc.

I too, am cursed with dogs that refuse to die. Fox terrier of 16, only sign of age is I swear the thing has a tapeworm about a yard long, as every time I get up from this desk I get herded towards the food...and training a ten-year old sister in the ways of the force...
Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
germansupplyscott wrote:
In the UK it seems to be all about making the interior look like an IKEA kitchen. Not a fan personally

Agreed on all points.

I doubt changing the likely nonfunctional original refrig matters much for resale but I'd hesitate to do much more.

The "best mods" is going to be entirely dependent on your situation. 20 years ago I often travelled with my three kids and maybe their friends. So a weekender setup is all I wanted. Full width bed and two jumpseats. Seat belt improvements were the next priority. If you are solo or double passenger in your bus, maybe you have different priorities. I only camp in real campgrounds, others may try to stealth (bad idea in a westy imo),I dont stay long,some want to stay off grid for a month.

In otherwords ULTIMATE must be ultimate to you.

One other thing, camp in your bus and see what you like. I don't cook inside mostly bc it makes no sense when Im usually looking at a picnic table and I want neither the risk of fire or the smell of bacon, garlic, or whatever in my bus for the rest of my life. I REALLY like (way more than I imagined) the simple rear tent thing from Bus Depot. Kombi Kabin looks cool too. And awnings/side tents are the best.

None of this stuff in glamping type things you will see on #vanlife pages with ritzy vanagons, mostly because so many of those people don't actually camp and are just searching for social media hits. 7

I can always tell who doesn't actually camp bc real campers are primarily concerned with ventilation (summer OR winter), screens to cover side door, front windows, rear hatch, other windows, rain protection for them, fans, maybe AC.

Vanlifers/ fake campers talk about massive electrical systems, wool insulation etc and often build things that waste even more of the precious space with unneeded glamping crap (to say nothing of the extra weight in an already overburdened beast). I've actually seen those clowns putting marble countertops in a damn camper (though it was a Sprinter not a Vanagon).

I do have a house battery and an inverter but I could live without it easily. And I will be experimenting with a diesel heater primarily bc it was so damn cheap. A propex would be wonderful no doubt.

Some of metalhackers ideas sound cool, but solar just isnt that important (or funtional) in the midwest where we have cloud cover most days. Even when I have what seems like direct sunlight the solar panels produce only about 60-70% due to high thin cloud layers I guess. Regardless don't put off your camping adventures waiting to save thousands for some big electrical system.

Using that lost space makes great sense. Some of it is in plain view. That area behind the driver seat could be put to better use IMO with a tall cabinet, maybe even to the ceiling as was common in some models. Any of the outboard and high areas could have "spice racks" as others have mentioned. The same area could also have hooks etc to allow small bags to hang, and still be moveable if for some reason you need the space. I've seen bungies or cargo nets there too or in the area of the "head banger" often carrying those light pillows, blankets etc that you don't want getting dirty if you are working on the engine, or travelling with stuff that used to be outside of the bus now on the inside.

I really like some of the concepts this guy is using in a Sienna minivan build for using the storage in those wasted upper areas. https://youtu.be/_-tC7Iddh_A?t=116

The whole Big Emma thread is good too. See where they spend their efforts? I just glanced again and I saw a big roof vent, mosquito screen for the hatch etc. REAL people actually camping in bus. Im going to watch the videos later. The good thing about getting old is even the threads you may have posted in years ago or older youtube videos are NEW to you.

Completely agree and the Ikea kitchen trend list for us nor is granite tops lol. I want to keep it well and truly in the spirit of a westy but making use of space as much as possible. We travel as a family with a dog and even with a large awning we could do with more stowage.

Ventilation and heating is very important to us too, we have all the insulation mats for all windows and pop tops and a propex heater which is awesome.

Id love a good solar set up, in the UK and Europe it is often quite a bit more expensive/ restrictive to have an electric hookup pitch. So that is one of the main reasons I would want it so we could camp in the pretty meadow field and not the tarmac parking spaces where the caravans are..
However, initial set up costs are more than a weeks camping with the family and at the minute we need things that use mains power for an easy life with the baby.

An inverter for our existing 120 ah house battery would be a good purchase I am sure.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

Quote:
As the mods add up your catchment for buyers gets smaller and smaller too. “But I'm not planning to sell it”. That's what you say now. Life happens.

Or drive the hell out of it, enjoy it, and don’t let resale get in the way of life.

When I get close to my due date, I’ll give my shit away as I stop using it.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

The shelves in the coat closet are a great idea. I have kept my bus pretty much original. It’s a 73 Westy weekender.

My best improvements have been small:

-mosquito netting around the rear bed.

-Heat! - BN4 installed as per factory as well as stock heat restoration.

Parcel tray: cup holders phone maps papers money and crap.

USB Charger for phone

Blue tooth speaker- loud enough to be heard above engine.

Side tent with add a room. Great for going on day hiking trips without breaking camp. An ass ache if you are only staying a night.

What I really need: Bed platform to replace the child’s cot in the poptop. The accessory bed offered in Europe looks nice but overly clunky and complex. A sturdy platform that folds in half with a piano hinge shouldn’t be that hard. It’s on my list.

Also, boxing off/dividing the space under the bench. The floor jack and other stuff ends up squashing the aluminum hose for the gas heater.

That’s about it. I prefer simple and uncluttered. I often remove the ice box and sink unit. I keep food and dishes in separate bins as well as a cooler. It all goes out on a picnic table for cooking.

Having a reliable and well maintained engine has done wonders for storage space. I no longer travel with half a bus packed away in my bus. Solar showers and whatever are not for me. I once went to a job interview while camping in my bus. I can get as clean as anyone with heating water on a camp stove.
highlandmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

Buddy of mine made a shelf for above the sink cabinet.
Hard to see in this pic, but he had a sheet metal guy just make 2 bends in a length of tin. Painted it to match the bus.
Butts up against the wardrobe.
May just have a piece of wood glued into the front end.

Fits nice

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

was thinking of doing something like that, any pics of the mounting?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

For the valance on my bus, it is attached to the rear cabinet and you can see the brace at the center pillar. There is a similar brace at the front. The brace has two long countersunk screws into the frame and the shelf is secured up thru the bottom. From my drawings, it is 62" long and 8-1/2" deep, made from 1/2" solid board (cherry). The length is obviously unique to my bus with the custom head banger which is only about 15" deep.

FYI - I cut the length it projects at the front shorter (not seen here) so I won't end up with the corner of it in my brain in a rear end incident. Blue ring in the lip at right side is the light switch for the sexy mood lighting which is a thin led string on the top of the shelf. On the bottom side are very thin led puck lights (different switch). All the lights in my bus dim, for that perfect camping ambience.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
richparker wrote:

Skills, I hear ya about the dog. We have a 15 yr old Healer, I’m pretty sure he’s never gonna die.

and my daughter wants a horse. um, no. if you want to turn piles of money into piles of shit it's a great animal to do the conversion for you

My wife wants a horse. This is a great way to word how I think/feel about them too.

At least you have the space for one! We live in town currently. I'd like to live in the country, but not as far as it would take to find what she says is a sufficient amount of land for a horse that we could afford.

As far as the original post: I think an "ultimate" upgrade for a refrigerator would be a good compressor system to replace the factory fridge. There is a poster who bought a small 12v fridge and gutted it to make the innards fit in that space, and I've also seen kits to essentially do the same (they seem to be sold for sail boats and the like).

We have a 12v fridge that is like a cooler. Traveling it gets strapped behind the passenger seat and then set outside the passenger door by the tire upon arrival. That works well enough, and one bonus is that it can easily be used in other vehicles or for other needs.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: