Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon B-Pillar Rust repair
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FloAK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:53 am    Post subject: Vanagon B-Pillar Rust repair Reply with quote

Hello-our vanagon has rust damage between b-pillar and wheel arch. I am new to body work repair. I pulled fiberglass patch from PO. My plan is to weld repair. How is it best to go about this repair? Is it reasonable to remove additional rust to fresh metal, then repair from there or do I need to remove wheel arch to get better access. Thank you.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon B-Pillar Rust repair Reply with quote

Could remove part of arch and then patch it in with part of a new one.
Does 'new to body repair' mean new to welding?
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon B-Pillar Rust repair Reply with quote

you will need to cut out more metal. I still see rust. Need to cut back to good solid metal. If you try and weld to rusty metal, it will just disintegrate and blow out.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FloAK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon B-Pillar Rust repair Reply with quote

Appreciate replies. Yes new to welding and auto body repair. I have done sheet metal repair with patches/rivets on airplanes. After watching dozens of auto body welding videos I am getting a better idea. If I can access B-Pillar for cutting/welding will not cut into wheel arch where metal is good. I have been searching for post where someone has done similar repair to get an idea of how to go about-no luck so far. I appreciate tips, it helps. Thank you!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: