Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camping & Towing with 1970 Fastback
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:51 pm    Post subject: Camping & Towing with 1970 Fastback Reply with quote

I have mentioned in previous posts that I intended to do some long camping trips around Australia in my 1970 Fastback. To this end I designed and had built a flat bed alloy trailer that weighs only 190 kg (400 lbs). It uses standard Type 3 wheels so I only need to carry the single spare, and to the trailer I have bolted a quick set-up tent. So to set up camp, I just unfold a hinged section of the flat bed to give me the width I need, then unfold and raise the tent. No pegs or guy ropes (unless I use the awning), and can be erected within 4-5 minutes of stopping. I can camp anywhere - rough stony ground, wet ground, uneven ground ? No problem. Smile
Unfortunately due to Covid, recent heavy rains in Aus, and a couple of personal issues, I was unable to do my 15,000 km trip around Aus, so we just went 800 kms to a local National Park and did a week's hiking. So 1600 kms . 1000 miles in total.
We set off in VERY heavy rain (like high wiper speed plus plus !) which was the first time I have taken the car in rain since its 100% rebuild - So was very happy that we only found a couple of minor leaks - I think through the radio aerial mount, and a couple of similar holes ! All doors and windows were fine.
Once the rain cleared after 3 hours, had a magical drive out into the Outback in W Queensland. Couldn't believe how well the car towed the trailer, and in the entire trip she did not miss a beat. Used no oil, and gave good gas mileage.
So happy with the result, and am confident she could now go round Australia, so that is now the plan for next year. A few pics to prove it all worked.
Oh, and electronically I had a small fridge which I mounted in the rear, and to charge this I installed a 2nd (50 aH deep cycle) battery in the LH side well adjacent to the normal battery which is in the RH side rear well. I connected the two with a small voltage sensitive relay so that even if the deep cycle ran flat, it wouldn't flatten the standard battery. And the standard (and original) generator kept it charged just fine !! All worked really well.

Trailer ready to erect tent
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tent erected and ready for use

Half way to our destination

In the Nat Park - zoom in over top of car to see wildlife !

Crossing flooded roads due to the recent rain

Camp all set up

Camp site visitor

Enjoying the wild

Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Camping & Towing with 1970 Fastback Reply with quote

Amazingly cool. How many Kg is the trailer and camping items and the towing weight?
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92

Last edited by Ossipon on Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Camping & Towing with 1970 Fastback Reply with quote

Very impressive!!! Nice job!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping & Towing with 1970 Fastback Reply with quote

DQDan wrote:

Agreed. Even the Mrs looks happy. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping & Towing with 1970 Fastback Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
Amazingly cool. How many Kg is the trailer and camping items and the towing weight?

About 190 kg / 400 lbs total. Loaded. Ball / hitch weight is 20 kg, which is 10% of total weight, so makes for perfect towing and not too much weight on the rear suspension. Easily towed, even with a basically bog standard (but totally rebuilt) 1600 engine with all original ancillaries. Didn't mess with fuel economy much on the open road, sitting on 55-60 mph all day. Hills did have an effect, but then that was to be expected !!
Smile
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping & Towing with 1970 Fastback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
DQDan wrote:

Agreed. Even the Mrs looks happy. Cool

That was BEFORE we set off................... Laughing Laughing
tjmartin317
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Camping & Towing with 1970 Fastback Reply with quote

I think my rust-riddled 72 Square would literally snap in two if i tried to tow a trailer. But it suits the fasty for sure! Happy travels!
TheGrafs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping & Towing with 1970 Fastback Reply with quote

How cool is that!
1970 Squareback

Youtube: GrafsGarage3
Instagram: GrafsGarage
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Camping & Towing with 1970 Fastback Reply with quote

That is an awesome setup!
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Camping & Towing with 1970 Fastback Reply with quote

COOL!

Is your hitch one of the standard types that bolts to the same spot as the bumpers bolt to?

I have always figured that's not a very sturdy location since there is only sheet metal there but also 400lbs is not very much weight at all. Do you know the tongue weight of the trailer? (Or is that just USA English for the ball/hitch weight you mentioned previously?)

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Camping & Towing with 1970 Fastback Reply with quote

nogoodwithusernames wrote:
COOL!

Is your hitch one of the standard types that bolts to the same spot as the bumpers bolt to?

I have always figured that's not a very sturdy location since there is only sheet metal there but also 400lbs is not very much weight at all. Do you know the tongue weight of the trailer? (Or is that just USA English for the ball/hitch weight you mentioned previously?)

Yes, the hitch just bolts on with the bumper bolts. I looked at some of the other threads that mention a support bracket either welded or bolted in, but figured with the light trailer weight, I didn't need it. I have no rust around the bumper bar bolt section. (or anywhere else !!). There are also two tabs on the bar, and these have a bolt with a decent size backing plate that go through the rear skirt. Now I realise that skirt is pretty flimsy, so not sure whether these bolts support the skirt or the tow bar, but since they were already mounted there when I bought the car, I decided to put them back on once I finished my rebuild !
Tongue weight onto the ball of the hitch was 20 kg. Very light. For good towing, the recommended tongue weight it 10% of the trailer weight. 20 kg on a 200 kg trailer is pretty close to perfect - And she towed beautifully.
G
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: