Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's the origami secret to stowing the upper bunk?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RiversToTheSea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: What's the origami secret to stowing the upper bunk? Reply with quote

1995 Winnebago conversion, yesterday, last night, and today my wife and I did our first practice camping trip in our driveway. Packed food for meals, cookware, changes of clothes, and all the other stuff we thought we'd need and we spent the night in it.

I've figured out how the mattress & flat boards go in to make up the upper bunk with the pop-top up. But the Winnebago user's manual is pretty vague on what to do with those pieces after.

So specifically: The mattress folds in two places, there's one short and two longer sections. There is a fixed board and two separate removable folding boards that all make up the floor of the top bunk.

1. Is there a way to fold and arrange the bedding, mattress pads, & boards up there to open it up and get maximum headroom for cooking & eating meals? Or does the mattress and/or the boards have to come down and be stashed in the lower rear area?

2. Climbing up/down: How do you do it? I set up one of the tables, and we clambered up (one at a time) onto the table, then levered up into the bunk. Is that the best way? Are the tables meant to hold the weight of a person?

3. Traveling: When it's time to hit the road, how do you set the mattress, boards, and any bedding so you can drop the pop-top? Can they all fit up there with the top down, or again, do any parts have to be stowed in the rear lower area?
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the origami secret to stowing the upper bunk? Reply with quote

my friend’s ‘99 ev winnebago doesn’t have boards to be put in or taken out. the front section of the upper bunk is hinged in the middle. it lays flat when the top is down, and the two front pieces accordion up vertically to allow standing room when the top is up. do you have the hinges?

as to climbing up, we use the trusty coleman beer holder as seen in my ‘78 champagne edition westfalia.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the origami secret to stowing the upper bunk? Reply with quote

Top bunk folded

Top bunk in down position

With the top down at most you can fit a thin sleeping bag in between the top and the bed. We typically keep our blankets and sleeping bags in stuff sacks, and they are kept in the rear section behind the rear seats along with our pillows.

Last edited by orbeamike on Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the origami secret to stowing the upper bunk? Reply with quote

We have this ladder to help getting up and down the bunk bed.

dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the origami secret to stowing the upper bunk? Reply with quote

orbeamike wrote:
With the top down at most you can fit a thin sleeping bag in between the top and the bed. We typically keep our blankets and sleeping bags in stuff sacks, and they are kept in the rear section behind the rear seats along with our pillows.

that’s it!

my sheets for my bus are singles, sewn together at the foot with elastic, much like a fitted sheet. this envelope doesn’t pull apart while i sleep, but stays comfy and cozy.

i mention this because i can use my sheets on my friend’s ‘99 ev. just scrunch down, and wrap the elasticized bottom around the far edge of the mattress, and tuck it in along the sides. just like a real bed. down comforter on top, and i’m snoozing.

i forgot to mention, the coleman is the first step up. second step is the edge of the stove top.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the origami secret to stowing the upper bunk? Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:

my sheets for my bus are singles, sewn together at the foot with elastic, much like a fitted sheet. this envelope doesn’t pull apart while i sleep, but stays comfy and cozy.

i mention this because i can use my sheets on my friend’s ‘99 ev. just scrunch down, and wrap the elasticized bottom around the far edge of the mattress, and tuck it in along the sides. just like a real bed. down comforter on top, and i’m snoozing.

i forgot to mention, the coleman is the first step up. second step is the edge of the stove top.

I use twin fitted sheets for both upper and lower beds. They stay in place no problem.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the origami secret to stowing the upper bunk? Reply with quote

this isn’t related to the op’s topic, but i sleep with my head toward the back of my bus. the sheets have nowhere to be tucked, hence the sown together ends.

sorry for going off topic, rivers.

i wouldn’t step on the middle of the stove top to get up into the bunk. just the edge
RiversToTheSea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: What's the origami secret to stowing the upper bunk? Reply with quote

orbeamike wrote:
Top bunk folded

Top bunk in down position

Interesting- in the top picture showing it folded, did you add what appear to be short foam strips that keep the wood deck in place? I tried folding mine like your picture, and the deck just slides flat as soon as I let go.
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What's the origami secret to stowing the upper bunk? Reply with quote

RiversToTheSea wrote:
[

Interesting- in the top picture showing it folded, did you add what appear to be short foam strips that keep the wood deck in place? I tried folding mine like your picture, and the deck just slides flat as soon as I let go.

My van is a 2001, I believe the later vans has the 2 front sections piano hinged together then the 2 panels also hinged to the fixed section. The front cushions are also velcroed to the boards. This would be a simple mod to add to the boards if yours aren't hinged. Once the top is raised, just fold the 2 sections out of the way and you have all the standing clearance. I have a twin fitted sheet that covers all the cushions on top and keep them clean, the sheet just folds away with the cushions.

Another option is to hinge the front sections, then you have the option to just stack the front sections on top of the fixed rear sections to gain standing clearance.

Mike
dazey77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: What's the origami secret to stowing the upper bunk? Reply with quote

I also have a 95, the folding photos shown above I believe are either later busses or modified planks. I have never used the top bunk and my boards and mattress stay home behind a door as I never found a satisfactory way to store them without getting in the way constantly.
Also beware of putting too much on the shelf which can cause the roof to not fully shut at the back leading to tent getting wet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: What's the origami secret to stowing the upper bunk? Reply with quote

Take the front pad and move it on top of the back pad. Fold the hinged pieces. Lift them and put them on top of the pads.

Stored with a small storage area to put stuff on during the day.

Note that I replaced the pads with an Exped mattress, fits perfectly, infinitely more comfortable, worth the entry price. I just do the same as above, let a little bit of air out of the mattress, fold it, put the hinged pieces on top. I travel with both Exped mattresses (got one for downstairs too) deflated mostly and stored flat on top of each other, again fits perfectly.

Oh:

Question 2: Folding stepstool. Stand on it, lift leg and put on very edge of cabinet, step up. I'll use a stepstool more like orbeamikes when I need to.

Question 3: The boards and mattress must be flat, in full extension (bed mode) to close the poptop. DO NOT close with the stuff folded up that's a great way to break your top, literally.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: