Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW model build topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

i am calling the falcon done, a lot of big things with this build, longest build time at 16 months, largest model 14"X18", largest diorama 16"X24", LED lighting, most expensive model ever for me, only 3D printed "part is princess leia slave girl" everything else built from scratch, smallest scale at 1:72.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

so i put as many VW and porsche parts in the falcon as i could, it was a great build, but time to get back to pure VW models.

so, FINALLY back for volkswagen model build, this is another WWII, model, I had to do research, these 2 books are awesome with pics and detail, the german saw american troops in half track trucks, they they felt like they needed them for the eastern front against russian, the tried starting with a schwinwagan, thinking the smooth underside of a boat would help glide over the snow, but they are heavy + buy the time they added the 1/2 track, it was too heavy for the little war time 25hp bug engine to push it. So they switched to the lighter Kubelwagen chassis. i am surprised they did not use the 4x4 hardware they already had for the commanderwagen, but they did not. The kubelwagen is 1:25 scale, the tank is smaller 1:35 scale, this is good, as the parts scale nicely. becuase they never came up with a final design, i allows me to build basically whatever i want. should be fun!

if you are into kubelwagens and schwimwagens, you GOT to get these books, so much information and great pics!

if you notice, in the lower right of book 1, the 1/2 track thing is going up a steep hill, and on the right is a 1/2 track motorcycle,,,,, could anything be cooler than a 1/2 track motorcycle?
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Volkaholic – Lots of first's! I’m not the biggest Star Wars fan, I saw the original in theaters but then missed out on all the sequels until my son watched them on VHS. I do like how you brought VW’s into your build, makes it unique. You did an excellent job making it look old and weathered, that’s not always easy to do.

Will be looking forward to the Kubel-track build
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:
if you notice, in the lower right of book 1, the 1/2 track thing is going up a steep hill, and on the right is a 1/2 track motorcycle,,,,, could anything be cooler than a 1/2 track motorcycle?

Photo and information on the 1/2 track motorcycle here. One was used in the film Saving Private Ryan.
https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_12295-NSU-SdKfz2-Kettenkrad-HK-101-1940.html

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

ok, finally back to VW's!!!!!!!

kubel half track update, engine built, this model has some great details, this is the 25hp WWII engine, many odd things about it, i love the exhaust system, 2 mufflers high on the sides, the dark red rectangle on the upper right is "starter fluid" for getting going on the eastern front, i added spark plug wires, and fuel lines, note the intake manifold is white, yes, they really built it that way? why? I also love that between the drive shafts and the rear wheels there is reduction gear boxes, slower speeds and more ground clearance, also, spark plug wires run inside a metal tube to protect them, seems like you would get cross talk that way, but what do i know? the coil is mounted on the fan side of the engine, only time VW did that, and yes, i made it a blue coil, not period correct, but i dont care, ,,,,,,i am surprised, they actually painted the fan shroud, valve covers, and stale air sleds body color, instead of just shooting satin black, why? ,,,,,,,, note the hat on the figure, reading the model instructions it says they got special hats for armored vehicle crew,,, and they got to pick from different colors, evidently being in the armored vehicle crew was a big deal, very prestigest. .,,..,,,,,,,,in the last pic, there is something mounted on the inside of the rear trailing arms, and you can see it has a hole for something, i have no idea what this is,,,, do you?

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Those are the old-style lever shocks.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

WOW - i had no idea that even existed, thanks so much for showing, so since it does not have normal shocks, how does it work? it is not obvious how it moves

this model has some great details, it comes with a tire jack that mounts next to the engine! never saw that before. i am learning some cool stuff!
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

these are the seats out of the 1944 VW kubelwagen, you want to talk about crude, black pipe frame, probably conduit, attached to the floor by 2 tiny wing nuts, then leather stretched over it,,, no springs, no cushion, comfort was not a consideration!

PS - no seatbelts of course!

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

the kubel seats were sprung - those ridges are representing the springs across the frame that the thin cushions rest against - otherwise the german forces would literally be lacking teeth! Very Happy

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

well good to know, still a minimalist approach
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:
WOW - i had no idea that even existed, thanks so much for showing, so since it does not have normal shocks, how does it work? it is not obvious how it moves

Basically it would get filled with oil. Some are single action, and some are dual action.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=519746

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

amazing how much a person can learn building a model! thanks
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

am i the only guy building models right now? come on folks, go nuts with it!

ok, kubelwagen halftrack update, should i call this a kubeltrack? now most models the body is 1 part, you just put it on, in this case, i have to build it, pretty cool i think
remember, this is a prototype, so i am allowed to do things that might not make it into production.
things i have modified, becuase is makes a ton of sense, the engineers SHOULD have done this
1 - four pedals- ignore the dashboard, work in progress, anyway, why 4 pedals? left is clutch, right is gas, middle two are brakes, left and right brakes, this car has no front brakes, so, if you get stuck, you are really stuck, so you can lock up 1 side and turn the other to try to get out, this is common on tractors and construction equipment, so makes sense here
2 - front tires are smooth "bubble tires" normally used on sand, why here? smooth tires do not throw up nearly as much snow as a treaded tire would, this makes it easier for the driver to see and makes it harder for the enemy to see you coming
3 - ski's under the front wheels, these are attached to the brake drum backing plates, totally possible, these are heavy duty, this way, you can drive on a normal road, but when you get in the snow the ski's take over, makes a ton of sense
4 - rear tracks are borrowed parts from a panzer kampwagen II, helping keep costs down, now on a tank, the front gear is the drive gear, all the others are idlers, but in this case the rear is the drive gear, so switch front to back, but also, the suspension on the idlers needs to be switched, left to right, get complicated fast
5 the front of a kubel wagen is rather blunt, so i added a curved panel on the bottom to glide over the snow, then added a 3' extension, with sweeping sides, this is a drift cutter, lets be honest, you would rather cut through a drift than drive over it. the red pole on the front is a depth gauge, so the driver can decide "should i go into this drift or around it?" makes a ton of sense
6 - note the doors, the front doors are rear hinged, what we call "suicide doors" how cool is that! too bad this did not make it after the war, also, what is that stuff on the sides of the doors? that is Zimmerit - bascially concrete they put on tanks. why? they where worried allied troops would put magnetic bombs on the sides of tanks, this was thick enough to prevent magnets from sticking, but also acts as secondary armor for the tank, in this case, it is primary armor, as this vehicle has NO protection, i mean it has a cloth roof, it has glass windows, it has thin sheetmetal panels, offer no protection to the driver, this layer of Zimmerit at least gives the guy a chance to be protected from small arms fire.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:

4 - rear tracks are borrowed parts from a panzer kampwagen II, helping keep costs down,

Though this is a light tank, it's still probably too heavy for a Kube. Maybe a Kettenrad?

Heinz Nordhoff
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

it's interesting that you seem to be following the thinking that the porsche engineers followed for this vehicle.
they fitted a curved lower front skid panel (as seen in the kubel v kettenkrad photo)
they fitted steering brakes for the tracks using levers (not sure whether hand or foot operated) see photo
they tried strap on skis on the front wheels (not very successfully)
I reckon the tyres would need tread for grip on snow, like fitting snow chains, but the tracks are probably doing most of the work anyway.

hopefully I'll get some model time later in the year...

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

sod it - decided to carve out some model time...

this is a rubicon 1/56 scale beetle (they also do a kubel and schwimmer) which I am pairing with their figure of major gen sir percy hobart to portray ivan hirst with a ccg beetle. figure is 30mm tall

volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

wow -nice, i have never seen 1:56 scale
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I think it is equivalent to 28mm scale popular with gamers

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I haven't seen this one before either, but I like the scale.

Heinz Nordhoff
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

finster wrote:
sod it - decided to carve out some model time...

this is a rubicon 1/56 scale beetle (they also do a kubel and schwimmer) which I am pairing with their figure of major gen sir percy hobart to portray ivan hirst with a ccg beetle. figure is 30mm tall

Where'd you grab this? Looks like a fun scale!

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I'm in the uk so you would be better seeing
https://www.rubiconmodels.com/ for stockists or mail order

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 47 of 60

Jump to: