Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sub amp on with ignition, receiver wired for camping
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:28 pm    Post subject: sub amp on with ignition, receiver wired for camping Reply with quote

I want to share the wiring for the music system in the van. Here is the diagram, explanations below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What does this achieve? I wanted to choose easily between an always-on radio, and a radio that turns on automatically when the ignition is on. I also wanted to limit the battery draw when camping.

The toggle switch allows the following:
1/ Camping Mode: (Switch to the right (as per diagram): The Control wire on the radio (marked CTRL) is connected to 30, or always positive. This tells the radio to stay on no matter what (key in, out, ignition off or on).
2/ Shut-up mode: Switch in the center. Zero Volts at the CTRL wire, the radio stays off no matter what
3/ Driving mode: (switch to the left): The CTRL wire is connected to 15, hot when ignition on. When you turn the engine off, the radio turns off automatically.

The relay is set up so that the sub is on only when the ignition is on AND the radio is on. This is to limit battery draw when using Camping Mode (listening to the music with engine off). Most receivers have a REM wire that gives 12 V when the radio is on, and 0 V when the radio is off (sometimes called Antenna wire). The REM port on the sub is what tells the sub to turn on.

-----------------

I have just installed a self-powered sub under the driver's seat (Thanks to all who shared their experience on the matter). I went with a Focal Ibus 2.0. Fits tightly under the swivel base, but I had to get rid of the swivel lever. Improvement in bass is quite good, even better than what I expected. I have Kenwood 6.5" mediums in the doors and tweeters on the dash, no amp.

Here are a few pictures and additional info:

Focal ibus 20 subwoofer

https://www.focal-america.com/product/ibus-20/
Ordered here: https://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00123502.html.

Wiring to the sub:

Wiring of the relay. It is tucked behind the dash, under the receiver, next to the switch

Under the driver seat, seen from the cut-out front. I added some Fatmax, and also (not in pic) some mesh rubber pads that they sell for kitchen drawers, to avoid vibrations, as suggested by a fellow Sambanista. I also added some foam blocks between the battery and the back of the sub, to prevent pinching cables, and finished with a velcro strip under the front of the sub

Finished install
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2305070.jpg

Bass Remote

skemems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: sub amp on with ignition, receiver wired for camping Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

Nice work and a good idea. Thanks for sharing.
One thing I might add is the power wire gauge size used. Didn't look up the specs to your amp, but looks it has two 15 amp fuses. 10ga wire is typically recommended at minimum in most cases.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: sub amp on with ignition, receiver wired for camping Reply with quote

Thanks.
I use these charts to choose wire gauge, and the red wire (Sub +) has a 20 amp fuse on it. So I used a 14 AWG wire. They are less than 2 feet long.

What do you think?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: