Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kick Panel Speakers install
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Posh Mushroom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Kick Panel Speakers install Reply with quote

Hello!

Finally got around to starting to install my kick panel speakers.

I ordered fiberglass kick panels from glass action, and a set of Rockford Fosgate speakers (5 1/4")

Here's a before of my kick panel area:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I started by pulling out the carpet

After that, I printed and cut out circular templates to cut out of the fiberglass panels, and deciding exactly where I wanted the speaker to be

I started by cutting out a rough polygon with a dremel rotary blade attachment, then rounded it out to the proper diameter with a sanding wheel, also on the dremel

I then drilled the screw holes

I couldn't get a good photo, but it fits in very well, I just have to drill the mounting holes through the fiberglass and the body of my car, and I have small sheet metal screws to attach it with.

I'm going to need to get more carpet so that I can carpet up to the top of the new fiberglass panel - the existing carpet is not quite "tall" enough if that makes sense.

My plan is to get an exact copy of that front passenger carpet piece, and then cut and sew (or have an upholstery shop sew) the original and the new one together so that the vent hole is in the correct place, but it is "taller" so as to cover the new kick panel.

Does this sound feasible? Would I be better off trying to get a custom carpet panel made by an upholstery shop?

I will be updating this thread as I keep working so stay tuned Very Happy
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Kick Panel Speakers install Reply with quote

… sounds like, you're not cutting any corners - interesting place to put your speakers - where you gunna put your stereo?

Back in the day, I built a shelf, behind the back seat and put my speakers there - I like your idea better - just too cheap, to buy all that stuff > nice - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Posh Mushroom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Kick Panel Speakers install Reply with quote

thanks z

I'm just using the normal radio location, I put in an old cassette radio from 1981

Ain't the fanciest, but I like it.
tjbayless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Kick Panel Speakers install Reply with quote

Are those glass action kick panels. If so do you have a picture of them complete. I’m having an issue getting my carpet fit well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Kick Panel Speakers install Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
Back in the day, I built a shelf, behind the back seat and put my speakers there

Back in the day (OK, the 1970s) I installed, and still use underdash speakers in my 1970 and in my 1971 Super.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kick Panel Speakers install Reply with quote

Nice job on the kick panel speakers.

Only thing I worry about is attaching them to the metal of the car at that location. Call me rusty, but drilling and sheet metal screwing the panels there makes me scared. I don't know. Maybe some sort of nutsert or threaded insert would make me feel better, but not really.

I know I'm being paranoid and I'm sure your install will look and work great. After seeing your prep work, that's likely a guarantee.

When I wanted to install new speakers to make my Retrosound radio sound, well nice, I debated a number of options. What I ended up doing is taking a vinyl upholstered rear cargo cover the PO included with the car but never installed and installed the speakers there. After all, that's what they sell them for, right? But I didn't want to mount all that up high right below the rear window. So, I made a template of the FLOOR of the rear cargo area, removed the vinyl, cut the cargo cover to fit just off the floor so it would be out of sight and mounted the speakers in that after reinstalling the vinyl.

Then, I placed two wooden spacers under it all to allow space (3" or so) under the new "speaker deck" and it looks very nice, can look factory even (because you can't see the speakers unless you look in the cargo area), and it works very nicely. Of course, I had to run the speaker wires all the way to the back, but that wasn't hard to do.

Back in the day, most people would simply put speakers in the door panels, but I think your method and mine are a bit nicer.

Good job!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Kick Panel Speakers install Reply with quote

cyclehobby wrote:
Back in the day, most people would simply put speakers in the door panels, but I think your method and mine are a bit nicer.

I never liked speakers in the door panels, seemed to wreck them (look at pictures of for-sale VWs). Plus my ears face forward.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Kick Panel Speakers install Reply with quote

So I'm probably not the only one who runs the balance a little to the right to make up for seating position when I'm alone in the car?

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: