Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

+1 for the cop and donut joke.

Update plz??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rasec996
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Hello, im from Mexico and im trying to make my vw like yours. Can you tell me the size of the tires, please?

Thank you! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Buenos dias amigo
215/75-15 are the most common of light truck tires you should be able to find

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rasec996
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Buenos dias amigo
215/75-15 are the most common of light truck tires you should be able to find

Thank you so much, i'll start buying the things. Maybe not using a roll cage because here in my city there is no "offroad places" but id like to use it daily.

Wrote you in your Youtube channel, hope we can talk more about the mods on this type of bugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Look for Tornel brand tires. A race team from Baja that my son has raced with (and WON!) was using Tornel tires on the front. I was impressed with them.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kidatv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Any updates on this car and thread?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Sadly not much, 1776 sitting in the living room waiting for me to order heads.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreeneHoosier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Love the build and this epic thread! Good luck!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Ah too long without anything really going on with the Bug, but now that changes.

I had a short time of having a new motor, I think #5, I had some joy rides that were ended short by shifting into third gear and then never leaving third gear. So I parked in the garage and was shopping for a new one from a reputable vendor. Well, that was going to be easy but someone (not me) had to go out and buy a full set of transmissions jigs and a borrow a press to start learning how to rebuild transmissions. So now I have my transmissions torn apart with gears all over the place. All I can say is that transmissions are fun as h*ck to work on.

This transmission came with the car when azbug bought it, and just from the tear down it's really odd how good of condition everything was minus the things that were very wrong. Went over the gears, ordered some new sliders, seals and bearings.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This was an interesting thing to see, at first I thought this is why I had some weird shavings in my oil but I see a pattern that says otherwise.

Didn't take a picture but the main shaft front bearing was absolute trash and was allowing the shaft to wang-dang-doodle all over the place. The car was loud and I just thought it was from the roll cage, I have a feeling after the main bearing is replaced I'll be able to hear my own thoughts again.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Ah too long without anything really going on with the Bug, but now that changes.

I had a short time of having a new motor, I think #5, I had some joy rides that were ended short by shifting into third gear and then never leaving third gear. So I parked in the garage and was shopping for a new one from a reputable vendor. Well, that was going to be easy but someone (not me) had to go out and buy a full set of transmissions jigs and a borrow a press to start learning how to rebuild transmissions. So now I have my transmissions torn apart with gears all over the place. All I can say is that transmissions are fun as h*ck to work on.

This transmission came with the car when azbug bought it, and just from the tear down it's really odd how good of condition everything was minus the things that were very wrong. Went over the gears, ordered some new sliders, seals and bearings.

This was an interesting thing to see, at first I thought this is why I had some weird shavings in my oil but I see a pattern that says otherwise.

Didn't take a picture but the main shaft front bearing was absolute trash and was allowing the shaft to wang-dang-doodle all over the place. The car was loud and I just thought it was from the roll cage, I have a feeling after the main bearing is replaced I'll be able to hear my own thoughts again.

That which is in bold above is something I SHOULD have done nearly 50 years ago. I spent enough tens of thousands of $$ over that time to have well paid for lessons in building them and the tools to do it with. Rolling Eyes
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Finally got some time and parts in to finish up the motor, well get close to done we all know projects are never finished.

Sticking with the theme of engines I build for some reason, I ended up with a wild combo. Still need to clean up a few loose ends, I just rushed to get the engine in so I could break it in and drive. I'm on the hunt for a good oil bath air cleaner and stock manifold that has clear heat risers. The carb ices over pretty bad and makes low speed cruising really jerky. Heated up the carb with a heat gun and it drove like a champ, until the carb got cold. Threw in a transmission from Benco as well, I'm still going to rebuild mine but I need a few new parts. Worth having a spare around, as how this engine wants to drive I'll probably need it. Almost forgot how much of a pleasure this car is to drive, boy do I love it.

69.5x90.5
Eagle 2239 cam
'stock' new heads
Modified 34 pict-3, took the vent out
019 Blue Screamer

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Brian wrote:

Wait, Why did you opt to use that exhaust?
When you have this fine CSP dual muffler header!

I have one that I run from time to time. It's great for clearance. Unless you have a lowered bug (I do).
Then when the car gets towed on the wrong tow truck. The header gets chewed up as it contacts the roadway. Twisted Evil

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

I absolutely love the csp exhaust, but I think I'm going to go back to having a full sized skid plate down below. I've already hit a rock that took out a case before, so I can see it happening again. But I still have my 2110 apart on the bench, and it keeps eyeballing me. So the csp Evo will probably make its return.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Been looking at things to spend money on; I have some thread in studs on my rear wheels, but now that I have access to a hydraulic press I've been thinking about press in studs. These sound about right for T3 drums?
https://www.kartek.com/parts/sway-a-way-14mm-150-t...ength.html

Do I need to drill out the threads of the drums first, or is that what the knurl bites onto?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Daddy o's 67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

The Kar Tek listing gives you a drill size to use, .560"
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Daddy o's 67 wrote:
The Kar Tek listing gives you a drill size to use, .560"

Check!

I've always used a 9/16 bit for Sway-A-Way studs. BugPack Studs (now EMPI) call for 37/64 (.578") bit. Hard to find a 37/64 bit though.
SoCalBajas Member
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Ah yea, probably should read Wink
I'll try out the 9/16 if I do it. I got a dress press to try out too, probably better than going ham freehanded

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

WAY better on a drill press than freehand!

I made a jig decades ago to press the studs into drums. It's a piece of 2" steel bar stock with a hole a little bigger than 9/16. Clearance for the stud's threads. Length is the same as the length of the snout on a drum from the face. It's welded to a big scrap of 1" plate (could be thinner, even 1/4" would probably work) with 2 other pieces standing up made of square tube to keep the drum stable. If there are 2 other studs in the drum, they will fit into the square tube stands. You could also have a stub of some sort that the center axle hole of the drum fits over.

Don't have any pics of it and right now my right arm cancer doesn't want me lifting stuff that's piled on top of it to take it out and take pics. Or I would share that.
SoCalBajas Member
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

I have been chasing stud ideas and this forum has been talking about them. Great!

Brian and Dusty, Don't you guy's do a little back cut on the brake shoe side of the drum before installing the studs?

I was looking over Steve Marriot's car last Saturday, and asked the same question.
He stated that he used an end mill chucked up in his drill press the make the back cut.

How are you going about handling this issue? If it is indeed an issue at all.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted Sedan, Class 11, Full Body Baja, etc (pics 1st trip) Reply with quote

Excellent question, I think 113 drums have a fair amount of space that would let them not interfere with anything. I know Dusty has posted somewhere that it is worth while to face the inside so they don't get pressed in all wonky and in different directions.

But, I have 311 rear brakes and haven't looked at them in a hot minute. Probably still worth taking them down a few to make sure they're straight.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: