Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I thought I knew but I don’t. DCNF fit a bug?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: I thought I knew but I don’t. DCNF fit a bug? Reply with quote

What carburetor/carburetors do these filters and manifolds fit?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by oldslow on Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I thought I knew but I don’t. Reply with quote

Those should fit a Weber DCNF carb, They would make for a nice Vintage look engine.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Rob Combs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I thought I knew but I don’t. Reply with quote

I think Earthquake has it right. More specifically, they look to fit DCNF-12s (non flat-top). Note the recess in your air filter base and the air horns built into the carb top on the -12s

If you go with these do yourself a big favor and get the Berg linkage if not running type 3.

And keep in mind parts for these carbs add up fast!! Just be ready.

Rob
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: I thought I knew but I don’t. Reply with quote

Or ditch the air filters and try dual bug sprays or Rochesters. Dare to be different.
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: I thought I knew but I don’t. Reply with quote

I have a stash of DCNF carbs in 40, 42, and 44mm sizes.
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: I thought I knew but I don’t. DCNF fit a bug? Reply with quote

Ok great, Thanks!I would like to put these on the wife’s ‘64 convertible
Am I nuts?
Berg linkage is a must

Last edited by oldslow on Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I thought I knew but I don’t. DCNF fit a bug? Reply with quote

oldslow wrote:
Ok great, Thanks!I would like to pot these on the wife’s ‘64 convertible
Am I nuts?
Berg linkage is a must

No you are not nuts, nothing better than each cylinder having it's own throat and idle mixture screw. I use the old DDS style linkage with these DCNF carbs.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I thought I knew but I don’t. DCNF fit a bug? Reply with quote

oldslow wrote:
Am I nuts?

It'll be a tight fit. I've seen some sedan installations, and nearly every one needed to have a very small corner trimmed off or bent up from the right side of the engine compartment opening to clear the right rear rectangular corner of the right carb's air cleaner. It's the metal which is inboard of the rubber engine lid seal. mslibertarian gallery:

You may also have a tight spot with the Cabrio's underhood water tray...

At least one of the engines used a GeneBerg DCNF intake manifold so that it was designed for the best possible fit. I see in your gallery that you found this complete set of DCNFs with Scat manifolds at the Bug-a-Fair VW meet last week in Terryville, CT- I probably walked right past you while we were both in the swapmeet area, though I was not looking for dual carbs. Those Scat manifolds look to be a bit taller than a Berg.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I thought I knew but I don’t. DCNF fit a bug? Reply with quote

I've run a single Weber 40DCNF on my 1835cc DP engine since back in 1976.

The carburetor has NEVER been off its manifold since then, although I did replace a leaky accelerator pump diaphragm once.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: I thought I knew but I don’t. DCNF fit a bug? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
oldslow wrote:
Am I nuts?

It'll be a tight fit. I've seen some sedan installations, and nearly every one needed to have a very small corner trimmed off or bent up from the right side of the engine compartment opening to clear the right rear rectangular corner of the right carb's air cleaner. It's the metal which is inboard of the rubber engine lid seal. mslibertarian gallery:

You may also have a tight spot with the Cabrio's underhood water tray...

At least one of the engines used a GeneBerg DCNF intake manifold so that it was designed for the best possible fit. I see in your gallery that you found this complete set of DCNFs with Scat manifolds at the Bug-a-Fair VW meet last week in Terryville, CT- I probably walked right past you while we were both in the swapmeet area, though I was not looking for dual carbs. Those Scat manifolds look to be a bit taller than a Berg.

If you can make the engine narrower than stock, that helps (90.5 B x78, for instance), but even if it "just clears", with engine rock, they still might kiss the compartment lip. They are nice, though, keeps the ports straight to the intake valve. If you change manifolds, go with Berg; the CBs I had had a massive "bowl" under the carb flange, too much volume for me.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: I thought I knew but I don’t. DCNF fit a bug? Reply with quote

I have some DCNF’s on my ‘65. They kinda fit, and they do work good, but I would never do them again. Next time the engine comes out, eBay clone IDF’s and a CB linkage kit is going on.

Mine are the Racetrim/DDS style manifolds, and they are about the exact same height as Berg manifolds. I made the center pull linkage, but I should have used the Berg linkage. I also made the filter bases to use standard IDF size filters, so they clear the body better than those big square style.

The worst part about the DCNF’s in a bug is the forward facing idle jets. Guys think IDF jets are hard to get too......you ain’t seen nothing till you try to get the 3/4 side out on a DCNF. The front cylinder mix screws are no picnic either.

Way to much screwing around, parts sourcing, fab work, and rigging. You will be way farther ahead with standard IDF’s and a good quality linkage/manifold kit.

There is a reason the VW world went away from these and stuck with IDF’s.

Brian
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: I thought I knew but I don’t. DCNF fit a bug? Reply with quote

I feel like a ghia, type 3 or 4 would be a good place to use these carbs, some short manifolds in a type 3 looks like they would be a better fit under the lid than IDFs, no?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: I thought I knew but I don’t. DCNF fit a bug? Reply with quote

They are about the most ideal solution for T3's. The manifolds are short of course, but they are pretty straight, unlike the IDF T3 manifolds with 2 90deg bends in 3".

They would be just fine in a ghia or bus.

They are neat carbs, and they run very smooth. They are just to big of a pain in a bug when IDF's are so easy.

Brian
mikemck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I thought I knew but I don’t. DCNF fit a bug? Reply with quote

They work great in my Speedster replica.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I thought I knew but I don’t. DCNF fit a bug? Reply with quote

In a type 3, the filters are pretty small, to fit under the lid, and I didn't like it, intake air temps were very high (70° C +).
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I thought I knew but I don’t. DCNF fit a bug? Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
I have some DCNF’s on my ‘65. They kinda fit, and they do work good, but I would never do them again. Next time the engine comes out, eBay clone IDF’s and a CB linkage kit is going on.

Mine are the Racetrim/DDS style manifolds, and they are about the exact same height as Berg manifolds. I made the center pull linkage, but I should have used the Berg linkage. I also made the filter bases to use standard IDF size filters, so they clear the body better than those big square style.

The worst part about the DCNF’s in a bug is the forward facing idle jets. Guys think IDF jets are hard to get too......you ain’t seen nothing till you try to get the 3/4 side out on a DCNF. The front cylinder mix screws are no picnic either.

Way to much screwing around, parts sourcing, fab work, and rigging. You will be way farther ahead with standard IDF’s and a good quality linkage/manifold kit.

There is a reason the VW world went away from these and stuck with IDF’s.

Brian

Brian, reversing the right-hand carb will make the mixture screws much easier to adjust. I like using the old DDS/clones center pull linkage for DCNF Webers in a bug.

One problem is getting correct carb linkage arms because you need a left and right arm with an offset. I found some arms at Pierce manifold that work with some mods.

Yes, to get to the front idle jets is a pain, I just remove the air cleaners. The first hot rod VW 1835 I built back in 1977 had 42DCNF carbs. I was in heaven. Very Happy
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I thought I knew but I don’t. DCNF fit a bug? Reply with quote

I dunno, man..
It does take some fiddling to get the whole layout thing sussed with DCNFs.
Had to stare at mine and mock them up a couple times before i had it all right.
That you can flip them on the manifold is golden.

I’m thinking Gene Berg was right on this one.
I’m able to tune the transition hole out of mine easier than with my IDFs.
Looking at the mild-mannered high-end cars the DCNFs came on originally,
It makes sense that they would strive to get them to work well IRL.

Yeah,
You can buy a kit and stab some IDF clones and gave success easily,
But wasn’t it Aristotle who said
“All fine things are hard”
?

Sure,
If a customer was paying me to install a set of dual carbs,
The choice is easy.

Would i trade my DCNFs for a set of IDFs now that they’re dialed in?
Nofucking way.

What’s That Noise?!?
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: I thought I knew but I don’t. DCNF fit a bug? Reply with quote

What would a set of rebuilt DCNF 40's with gene berg manifolds and a CSP linkage be worth. I have a set I may sell as I ended up going with IDF's instead.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: