Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' !
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Engine cover, alternator and fan shroud removed - prev owner had warned me he couldn't connect the rod to the flaps when he fitted a new thermostat, so I figured it'd be easiest to remove the shroud to find out what was wrong. And it's just as well I did - the connecting rod between the two sets of flaps is missing. I'll have to do a search through the parts boxes (and online parts suppliers) to see if I can find one, but if not the flaps will have to come out to prevent overheating.

With the shroud removed it also makes fitting the clutch and all bellhousing bolts easier / safer since I can support the engine with a hoist rather than relying on a jack. And with that improved access, the only fiddly bit I'll be facing is swapping the burned out reverse switch (I can't raise the car in the air because it's in an awkward position), which is hardly a major issue if I can't reach it...
KD1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Tell us more about your EV motor & bell housing? UK sourced?
I have a 1200 standard in N.Ireland. I like the idea of doing an EV conversion, but the costs need to come down first
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

KD1984 wrote:
Tell us more about your EV motor & bell housing? UK sourced?
I have a 1200 standard in N.Ireland. I like the idea of doing an EV conversion, but the costs need to come down first

I was quite lucky with my motor / bellhousing - EVEurope (who are in the Netherlands) had an ex-demo motor and bellhousing for sale. Still expensive at around £2500 but saved around £1000 on the cost of buying the bits individually. They do 'EV in a box' kits too (very convenient, but a lot more expensive) and last time I looked had an ex-demo LHD 1303 already converted for sale.

Biggest issue price-wise is the batteries though - Tesla Model S batteries are the most suitable in terms of weight vs range, but they're hugely expensive since everyone wants them. Model 3, etc batteries aren't any good because Tesla changed the design making them too long to fit, and the 2nd best option, the Chevy Bolt / Volt isn't sold in the UK. Which leaves Nissan Leaf batteries - poor range for their weight and they're air cooled (not a good thing in an EV battery!) so they can't be fast charged, have poor range, are more of a fire risk and deteriorate quickly. I guess Kia or Hyundai EV batteries might be good, but since nobody's used them as yet (or even dismantled one) it'd be a real gamble of a few thousand pounds getting hold of one of them.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Been laid low with Covid BA5 (latest version bypasses your vaccinations, so watch out!) plus another infection to keep it company for the past couple of weeks so I'm not going to meet my 2 month deadline, but made an interesting discovery yesterday whilst messing around with the locks (I'm still not well enough to do anything serious)...

Looks like the later type keys (look the same as early Golf, Polo, etc keys to me) fit in the mid-70s locks (weird triangular key with a different pattern on each side), so modified my locks with spare plungers to fit the later keys, which makes it less likely for me to snap the key off in the lock, and makes it much easier to find replacements.

Earlier type key:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Later type key:
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Sadly my intermittent flasher issue returned once I'd replaced the indicator switch, so took the switch mech out, only to discover there wasn't anything electrically wrong, one of the housing's machine screw threads was stripped (wondered why the screw was so mangled). Since this thread was the main support for the flasher mech, every time you operated the flasher, the entire indicator / wiper mech moved out of alignment a bit.

Once it was too far out of alignment the flasher contacts made permanent contact, leaving the lights permanently on main beam. Which explains why sometime in the past the main beam wire had been cut. Only one solution to that - replace the entire housing:

Also checked and regreased the top steering column bearing whilst the housing was off. What a lot of messing around for one poxy little screw!
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

As a reminder to myself, this is the best wiring diagram for the EU spec 1303 I've ever found, on here of course...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/VW_1303_Beetle_1974_Europe_Wiring_Diagram.pdf
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-AirCooled-Beetle-Ghia-Bus-Thermostat-Rod-Prt-VRD154-/291520804619

Thermostat Rods
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-AirCooled-Beetle-Ghia-Bus-Thermostat-Rod-Prt-VRD154-/291520804619

Thermostat Rods

Thanks Smile

Luckily all the bits to put the flaps back together were in one of my boxes, but I've been laid low by illness so haven't had the chance to refit / update.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Got the valve timing done and distributor drive the right way round, so finally got round to doing a compression test. 4 spins, plugs out and carburettor off, 120 psi on 1,3,4 which is quite healthy, 90 on 2.
Engine hopefully won't be in car for long, but I'll be stripping the engine to investigate #2 if it does keep it's engine for longer.
But in the mean time it seems to turn over well, so next stage will be to install the tinware. There are 3 bits missing (which I've ordered), which isn't bad at all for an engine which has spent a decade in boxes Smile
Oh, and decided to dump the chrome top covers - they're a bit damaged and they look tacky imo since the rest of the tinware's black.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Finally got the tinware and exhaust on after much messing about - inlet manifold was 2cm too far to the left and right hand rear valence was pushed in a bit, which meant everything was out, and I had to take everything apart and redo as I went along.

Finally done though -

Just need to finish replacing the cracked / hardened fuel lines with E10 compatible lines, work out where to put the electric fuel pump and I'll be ready for it's first startup in over a decade Smile
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Fitted the electric fuel pump and replacement steering box, next stage is to put some petrol in it and check for leaks, do the static timing and make sure the carburettor is set up vaguely properly, and try starting it up.

That's the scary bit, hopefully it won't burst into flames or spit a rod out through the crank case, but I'll have a bucket of water ready just in case...
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Awesome! You are getting to the good part!

You may want to pull the plugs. Disable the coil. Fill it up to the proper level with oil and make sure it will make pressure before running it. The bonus to that is the fuel will also be pumping so, two birds with one stone!

Once oil pressure is obtained, you can check for any oil and fuel leaks. And with the ignition system disabled, you run very little risk! Once all is tight, reconnect the spark and fire it up. You will be able to concentrate more on the start up knowing the other stuff is LESS LIKELY to be problematic. Keep your eyes open still, as shit can go sideways really quick!

Hope to read that it runs!

Good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Awesome! You are getting to the good part!

You may want to pull the plugs. Disable the coil. Fill it up to the proper level with oil and make sure it will make pressure before running it. The bonus to that is the fuel will also be pumping so, two birds with one stone!

Once oil pressure is obtained, you can check for any oil and fuel leaks. And with the ignition system disabled, you run very little risk! Once all is tight, reconnect the spark and fire it up. You will be able to concentrate more on the start up knowing the other stuff is LESS LIKELY to be problematic. Keep your eyes open still, as shit can go sideways really quick!

Hope to read that it runs!

Good luck!

Thanks Very Happy

Did as you described, it's a (new) electric fuel pump so it whirred away noisily for a minute before settling down, and appeared to be filling the carb since the accelerator jet squirted out fuel. I got a nice leak, which annoyingly took most of the paint off the left hand tinware (PO had repainted it) but a new piece of fuel line fixed that.

Also the oil light went off, which is a good sign, so set the static ignition timing and made sure the points and leads were set up right.

It sort-of fumbled as if it was trying to start, but no joy. I suspect my old battery (which came out of a Subaru, then had 2 years worth of use powering experiments before going in the bug) might not be powerful enough to start the car any more, but I'll give it a good charge overnight before trying to diagnose if there's anything wrong.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Awesome! Get that battery charged and let’s hear it run!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Awesome! Get that battery charged and let’s hear it run!

It was a duff battery after all, we have liftoff! Blue Bug

Link

Took about a minute of turning over before it started, almost like it was flooded, then it caught, and I grabbed a video instantly Very Happy Refitted the air filter with fresh element after I recorded this, so next stage will be to recheck the timing / points, recheck the valve clearances, and get the fuel mixture right.

Then I just need to adjust the brake pedal, and I can see if it'll actually move under it's own steam.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Once you start driving it, you’ll probably never do the swap. You’ll either be content that it’s now a running vehicle & never bring yourself to pull it all back apart, or you’ll quickly come to the conclusion that you don’t like it enough to follow through converting it. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Once you start driving it, you’ll probably never do the swap. You’ll either be content that it’s now a running vehicle & never bring yourself to pull it all back apart, or you’ll quickly come to the conclusion that you don’t like it enough to follow through converting it. Laughing

It'll definitely be getting the conversion sometime if I do enjoy driving it - given the current price of petrol in the UK and the 1600 twinport / Solex 34PICT's supposed 25mpg thirst, it'd cost about 42 cents per mile, which makes it more expensive than short haul air travel Laughing
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

mj2k wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

It'll definitely be getting the conversion sometime if I do enjoy driving it - given the current price of petrol in the UK and the 1600 twinport / Solex 34PICT's supposed 25mpg thirst, it'd cost about 42 cents per mile, which makes it more expensive than short haul air travel Laughing

And you could drive it for YEARS for what you have already invested in the motor.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
mj2k wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

And you could drive it for YEARS for what you have already invested in the motor.

True, true, the motor cost more than the car it's going into! Guess I'll see how it feels going back to classic motoring after a decade and a half driving Italian and Japanese performance cars; I know the experience is going to be very different, but that'll hopefully be less of a culture shock than the EV storm which is bound to eventually come our way.

When we're all forced into EVs (a certainty in Europe, very likely in the UK too, but I guess you'll put up more of a fight in the USA) I know I'll have to give up my love for cars which corner like they belong on the race track, so I'm hoping an EV upgrade to an old classic faithful will feel somewhat more pleasant than changing to a new EV which handles like a brick compared with what I'm used to.

Edit: One thing I'm seriously thinking about - I've fitted my SB with flared fibreglass wings and LED lights to update the look and match the wheels, but it might enhance the classic feel if I swap back to the standard wings / lights, assuming I can find some standard-looking steel wheels to fit over the front discs rather than the Minilites plus spacers which it's currently wearing.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New user, and new project - 'Throwitbacktogether' ! Reply with quote

Brake cylinder rod adjusted, foot plates fitted, rear seat base refitted, dwell angle adjusted, and carburettor (hopefully) adjusted right.

Check the tyres and wheel nuts tomorrow and it'll be time for a drive around the block...

And then recheck the valve clearances.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 18

Jump to: