Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front rotor replacement, not fitting on spindle
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremypbeasley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Front rotor replacement, not fitting on spindle Reply with quote

I’ve got a 1985 2WD Vanagon (manufactured 12/84). I’m rebuilding my front end and stuck on a rotor figment issue.

All new rotors and bearings. Rotors and bearings match the measurements of the ones I had before that were operating well but due for replacement. I’ve pressed the bearings and seals into both rotors without issue. When I place the rotor on the spindle though, I don’t have enough of the shaft coming out of the front (through the putter bearing) to put my nut on.

This makes me think it’s not seated on the spindle correctly. When I take either my new or old inner bearing and place it on my spindle, it stops at the end of the tapered portion of the spindle. Is that correct? Or should it go all the way to the end?

Rotors are ATE brand from the brake kit here: https://vancafe.com/1980-85-2wd-front-brake-kit/

When I take the rotor off the spindle, it leaves behind the seal and inner bearing stuck on the spindle. If I place the rotor back on the spindle (with the seal and inner bearing in hand), it seems to fit fine, leaving plenty of thread for my nut.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by jeremypbeasley on Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Front rotor replacement, not fitting on spindle Reply with quote

your inner bearing should go all the way on.
jeremypbeasley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Front rotor replacement, not fitting on spindle Reply with quote

Welp. This one’s on me.

For future reference: It took several tries to seat the rotor on the spindle. I had to reinsert the inner bearing and seal each time. The spindle OD and inner bearing ID are super tight so it’s a tricky fit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Front rotor replacement, not fitting on spindle Reply with quote

There is a very specific way that bearing is seated onto the spindle.
You tap the inner race with a punch, going around and around, evenly.
Or if you have a pipe that doesn't touch the bearing cage.

You don't want to do anthing that presses it on top the spindle with any force upon the rollers.

Recommend you check your method with the forum here first - or the bearing can be damaged.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Front rotor replacement, not fitting on spindle Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

You don't want to do anthing that presses it on top the spindle with any force upon the rollers.

Recommend you check your method with the forum here first - or the bearing can be damaged.

If you beat the bearing onto the spindle, how are you going to get the seal in?
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Front rotor replacement, not fitting on spindle Reply with quote

The inner bearing is an easy slip fit on the spindle. No hammers!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Front rotor replacement, not fitting on spindle Reply with quote

Take a bastard file and run it around the spindle to see if there are any high spots where the inner bearing race is supposed to fit.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Front rotor replacement, not fitting on spindle Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Sodo wrote:

If you beat the bearing onto the spindle, how are you going to get the seal in?

Igeo wrote:
The inner bearing is an easy slip fit on the spindle. No hammers!

oops sorry I was wrong. I haven't had a 2wd since 2004.
Apparently the bearing is in the hub, behind the seal.

Wildthings wrote:
Take a bastard file and run it around the spindle to see if there are any high spots where the inner bearing race is supposed to fit.

Prob best to post some pics of why that bearing can't slip-fit onto the spindle.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Front rotor replacement, not fitting on spindle Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Prob best to post some pics of why that bearing can't slip-fit onto the spindle.

If the old race once fit fine and doesn't now then there has to be a ding on the spindle or something.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Front rotor replacement, not fitting on spindle Reply with quote

jeremypbeasley wrote:

I spot damages on the snout where the small outer bearing race rides, then about an inch towards the inner side which makes me wonder what happened to this spindle? Also look at the ring where the seal rides, it's got some impact traces on it as well around 2-3 o'clock area. How? These are an indication something happened ...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Front rotor replacement, not fitting on spindle Reply with quote

just replaced mine also on my type 3, it is supposed to slide on completely without any problems or hammering, what make/type are the bearings? Did the other side go on without any problems?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: