Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery for Vanagon
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwmaniaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: Battery for Vanagon Reply with quote

Who still sells a battery for a vanagon Westy?
86 Westy "Brown Betty"
87 Cabrio
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
WiboBusMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery for vanagon Reply with quote

Your local FLAPS - common to many VW models - a group 41 size battery will fit

W
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery for vanagon Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=418938&highlight=battery

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery for vanagon Reply with quote

You can find a battery wherever car batteries are sold. Whether the one needed is in stock due to supply issues is another matter.

WiboBusMan wrote:

W

For a Westy, get a T5... much better size for the cramped box.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Italjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Battery for Vanagon Reply with quote

Here is mine Very Happy

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Battery for Vanagon Reply with quote

Inspect the date code on the battery if you find a Type 41 at a FLAPS. In my area when I needed a replacement battery the newest battery out of all the stores was one made over a year and a half before from time of purchase.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Battery for vanagon Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
You can find a battery wherever car batteries are sold. Whether the one needed is in stock due to supply issues is another matter.

WiboBusMan wrote:

W

Yup! Both my westy and '50 chevy truck use this battery. It is smaller than a group 41 battery, so if you felt it was needed, you could cram a chunk of a small piece of a 2x4 down next to the battery to fill in the gap. Again, IF you felt it was needed.

Craig

Last edited by cmayna on Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Battery for Vanagon Reply with quote

In my limited experience, while group 41s have a consistent width and depth, the height seemed to vary a bit from one label to another. And on the Vanagon the compartment doesn't have much leeway on height.

Date stickers on batteries (especially at the FLAPS) can be misleading. Some stores put a new date sticker on each time they recharge a battery on the shelf.

I also use the T5. Walmart turns over so much inventory that something like the popular T5 will be fresh.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Battery for Vanagon Reply with quote

I've never seen much variation in the height dimensions of any battery factory labeled as Group 41 and never seen one that was too tall. The length certainly varies, largely because some add straps that increase the length.

With a compartment that still has the added "sealed" junk many Westys came with the smaller length T5 seems like the way to go.

Group 48 was a size that sometimes used to fit great but they all became too tall a few years back as they were built to the actual BCI dimension specs.

Mark
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Battery for Vanagon Reply with quote

vwmaniaman wrote:
Who still sells a battery for a vanagon Westy?

Only one reply thus far seems to be directed to the Westy (possibly) having two batteries. The Start, and the House are possible in the Westy, thus while there are mostly replies to what fits in the Start batt location, there should be some recognition for the house batt.

Now days, the House seems best addressed with LFP batts.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9799474

For Start batt, give your local NAPA Auto Parts store a call. Good warranty, can get you one tomorrow if they don't have one today. Further, the guys at my local NAPA assure me that their batteries are damn fresh, and built only a couple hundred miles from me.

That said, I am moving all my accessories (radio, power plug, etc) to the House side, so I will go with a T5 next time I need a new Start batt.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Battery for vanagon Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

WiboBusMan wrote:

W

Ooooh, I like that.
Mulcheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Battery for Vanagon Reply with quote

I just replaced the house battery with one from Napa. I have been buying batteries from Napa for many years now.

Instead of the stock 41 Napa has a 40R. Same battery just not as long and it comes with handles. Much easier to get in and out.

The last one I have lasted at least 5 years and maybe even 6 but I dont have a lot of energy draw and now have solar to recharge.

I have always used Napa as one of my main parts source for the van, other than Bus Depot. Between those two I get great prices and can usually have any part with in days.
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Battery for Vanagon Reply with quote

For those of you who replaced a group 41 for a T5 is there enough slack in the positive cable to allow for the 2" difference in length? I'm hoping to install T5 all the way to the passenger side door (ground cable) side to make room for an ANL fuse for my new DCDC charger.

Last edited by Schuylersister on Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Jan Steinman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Battery for Vanagon Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
… I am moving all my accessories (radio, power plug, etc) to the House side…

I just did that exercise! Wasn't fun. Don't forget the overhead lights! As I recall, there are three wires you have to cut off the stock fuse block, and of course, you'll have to run a hot lead from the house battery to the fuse block.

While I was at it, I ran a fourth lead clear to the back for the backup camera that came with my stereo. You'd think they would have phantomed that power on the video lead…
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Battery for Vanagon Reply with quote

Doesn't anyone SEARCH TheSamba, before asking questions like this? Go ahead, slap my hand and delete the post . . .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Battery for Vanagon Reply with quote

You don't really have to cut any wires off the stock fuse panel.
No such butchery is required.
You don't even need to access the back of the panel.

Simply pull fuse #3 and leave it out from now on.
Then measure the voltage of each the 2 holes where the fuse #3 was pulled from.
The one that has 12+v leave alone.
The other 0v hole is where you plug in the new fused wire from your aux battery.
Done

EDIT!! As Kam points out below my comments above apply to the later fuse panel used in Vanagons begining with 1986 model year.
Sorry for any confusion, I should have made that clear from the start.
Mark

Jan Steinman wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:
… I am moving all my accessories (radio, power plug, etc) to the House side…

I just did that exercise! Wasn't fun. Don't forget the overhead lights! As I recall, there are three wires you have to cut off the stock fuse block, and of course, you'll have to run a hot lead from the house battery to the fuse block.

While I was at it, I ran a fourth lead clear to the back for the backup camera that came with my stereo. You'd think they would have phantomed that power on the video lead…

Last edited by crazyvwvanman on Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Battery for Vanagon Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
Doesn't anyone SEARCH TheSamba, before asking questions like this? Go ahead, slap my hand and delete the post . . .

Many of us do search. I do always. Sometimes it leads down a rabbit hole. Wondering why this bothers you Corwyn? Slap!

crazyvwvanman just answered the question like the gent he is. He’s always a big help! Thank you crazyvwvanman.
Jan Steinman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery for Vanagon Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Well, yours is different from mine and from the Bentley, then.

According to the user book, any fuse you simply "pull" disables something you want.

The cigarette lighter, radio, and dome lights connect to two different fuses.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery for Vanagon Reply with quote

Jan Steinman wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:

Well, yours is different from mine and from the Bentley, then.

The later vans use what is known as the CE1 panel, which utilizes 22 ATC fuses and has 2 rows of relay sockets. The fuse 3 modification referred to above only applies to these later panels.🍺
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jan Steinman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery for Vanagon Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
The later vans use what is known as the CE1 panel, which utilizes 22 ATC fuses and has 2 rows of relay sockets. The fuse 3 modification referred to above only applies to these later panels.🍺

My 1982 T3 Westy has ceramic (not ATC) fuses, and the Bently shows that interior lights and cigarette lighter are on the same fuse as the stop lights. You don't wanna pull that one!

The radio is on the fuse called "Accessories," but that fuse also runs the emergency flashers. I guess you can pull that one if you don't plan to break down beside the road, or go up a mountain pass in 1st gear.

It wasn't really that much work. I dropped the fuse panel and buzzed the connections to fuses 8 and 9. As I recall, one had its own spade female; the other two had two wires going into a common spade, so I figured out which one stayed and which one got clipped.

Then I attached all three of those wires together to the one coming from the house battery through a 15A fuse.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: