Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

““Split Bus “ at TWA hotel AT JFK
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:38 am    Post subject: ““Split Bus “ at TWA hotel AT JFK Reply with quote

Searched those terms and found nothing, has this been covered here?
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: ““Split Bus “ at TWA hotel AT JFK Reply with quote

I don't recall anything being posted. My wife is a flight attendant and stays there on layovers. She said it's *very cool*... check the link below if you're a MCM fan.

"The TWA Hotel is housed in the former Trans World Airlines terminal at JFK Airport, which was designed by Eero Saarinen, one of the world’s most iconic mid-century designers. TWA was a popular airline in the 1960s but fell into decline by the 1990s and was eventually acquired by American Airlines.

The terminal shut down in 2001 and sat empty for many years before it was eventually turned into a first class hotel. To much excitement, the TWA Hotel opened in 2019 and is the only airport hotel at JFK."
Here's a write up:
https://www.pommietravels.com/twa-hotel-review/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by easy e on Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: ““Split Bus “ at TWA hotel AT JFK Reply with quote

God Bless all the FAs and crew, especially the gate agents.

I flew TWa in the Golden era, But it was another thing Icahnt destroyed with his greedy grubby little fingers

Here we go,looks like a fake 1974 Samba. Very Happy looks pretty lipsticky

AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: ““Split Bus “ at TWA hotel AT JFK Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
God Bless all the FAs and crew, especially the gate agents.

I flew TWa in the Golden era, But it was another thing Icahnt destroyed with his greedy grubby little fingers

Here we go,looks like a fake 1974 Samba. Very Happy looks pretty lipsticky

Poor TWA had the choice of Icahn, or worse, Frank Lorenzo, to buy them out….ask Eastern Airlines guys who was worse. Smile another aside: Howard Hughes would disappear for months or years at a time, even in his 30’s before he went completely batty. He’d call in and run his holdings by phone. On one of these excursions, it turns out he had gotten a position at Delta Airlines, flying as a line captain, under an assumed name and disguised. He got caught eventually, and fired by Delta…not because he was a bad pilot, he was a fantastic pilot. It was because the SEC could have nailed Delta because Hughes owned TWA at the time.

You’d think they could have splurged for a pre-67 German bus for such a prominent display, though Hughes would approve
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ““Split Bus “ at TWA hotel AT JFK Reply with quote

I’m pretty sure Icahn cut the oring budget on Eastern 855.

He ruined a major player in my optics business, too...Spectra Physics.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: ““Split Bus “ at TWA hotel AT JFK Reply with quote

I flew as a flight attendant for TWA from June of 1976 onwards until AA bought us. Fuck Ichan! I walked into that stunning JFK terminal for my first of many flight assignments, to London Heathrow that night as I recall, and I'm glad the building has history status and protection to this day. I have a lot of great memories of that place... I recently retired after 44 years of flying because of the pandemic and I enjoyed most every minute of it.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: ““Split Bus “ at TWA hotel AT JFK Reply with quote

I used to fly candidates and watch how they interacted with the flight attendant to get a sense of their character. Incredible how you could spot the toxicity. In a company that is 2/3 female with 1/2 female customers, it was a quick way to get rid of those candidates.

Enjoy your retirement! I’m the guy in J who told you I would eat whatever meal was left over if you ran out.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: ““Split Bus “ at TWA hotel AT JFK Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I used to fly candidates and watch how they interacted with the flight attendant to get a sense of their character. Incredible how you could spot the toxicity. In a company that is 2/3 female with 1/2 female customers, it was a quick way to get rid of those candidates.

Brilliant.

I always make a point to thank the flight crew whenever I fly. The people at the gate also.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: ““Split Bus “ at TWA hotel AT JFK Reply with quote

Passengers who made a point of thanking us were always appreciated by flight attendants. And I'm always grateful to the gate agents for anything, as their job probably sucks the worst in an airline. I occasionally bring a small baggie filled with chocolates or candy bars for the flight attendant to pass around to the other crew. I usually discreetly mention (showing my retirement I.D. as proof) that I'm a recently retired F/A and that if the shit were to hit the fan on the flight that I was there to help...

Great to hang out with you in Europe this past few weeks Lind! How was the "Stones" show in London?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: