Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FI Harness complete
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbillow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: FI Harness complete Reply with quote

I've just completed my new FI harness for my 69 fastback. Hopefully it warms up soon so I can remove my temporary dual carbs and get my Fuel injection working. I eliminted the wiring for the cold start. If I ever want to add it back on it can be totaly retrofitted as a seperate harness. Thanks to all the information and generosity of advise from the knowledgable Samba members. It is what makes projects like these possible for the novices such as myself. I was able to locate parts and materials from links that were provided in these forums and some I found on my own. When I have some time to compile a list of what I used I will add it to this post. I used my old harness to create my harness peg board and went from there. Advise, thoughts or questions are welcome. Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: FI Harness complete Reply with quote

Congrats! As you know, this is the cause (along with vacuum leaks) of most FI failures, so this work should ensure many trouble-free miles!

Do us a favor and post your parts sources, and any hints for assembly.

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: FI Harness complete Reply with quote

Congrats, this is the one project that seems to intimidate most of the FI folks here. By going thru it like you did, it'll help you when it comes time to diagnose it.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
jbillow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: FI Harness complete Reply with quote

Thanks Phil and Bob. Yes this was my plan as I had several different issues between not starting, not running right, to leaking fuel into the case. So before I went any further chasing all these issues I wanted to eliminate the electrical connections/harness issues. Some connections literally fell apart when I was removing my old harness. It was really quite simple once I acquired all the parts. I'm anxious to get started converting it back from my dual carbs to see if it solves my issues. Thanks again to you and others on this site for the information and support.
knewknew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: FI Harness complete Reply with quote

Very nice!
Did you use new wires and re-use old connectors/boots? If so, what gauge wire did you use? What about the thick hose that holds multiple wires together? Shrink tubing?
jbillow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: FI Harness complete Reply with quote

knewknew wrote:
Very nice!
Did you use new wires and re-use old connectors/boots? If so, what gauge wire did you use? What about the thick hose that holds multiple wires together? Shrink tubing?

I used all new wiring 18g with all new connectors and boots, except for the ECU connectors. I cut and butt spliced them with shrink tube on each. To wrap all wires I used heat shrink for about the first 6” from the ECU plug just to cover all the connections and the pvc sheathing in various diameters on the rest. As I’ve read on these forums and it certainly makes sense, heat shrink probably not a good idea because of the heat of the engine constantly shrinking the tubing could cause issues. I’ve been meaning to post a list of suppliers of what I used for materials, which I will do soon. Thanks
knewknew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: FI Harness complete Reply with quote

Wow. Nice work. Would love to see that list.
jbillow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: FI Harness complete Reply with quote

Here's a list / links for the parts I used to rebuild my harness. Hope it helps;

wiring
18 AWG 19 STRANDS PTFE TEFLON WHITE
http://www.nassauelectrical.com

Harness plugs and boots
Porsche 914 / VW D jetronic kit
https://www.djetparts.com/contact?lang=en

Butt connectors
Ebay
MVP-10-Seamless-Uninsulated-Window-Butt-Splice-Connectors-18-22-AWG

Sheathing
Ebay
BLACK-PVC-SLEEVE-WIRING-HARNESS-LOOM-FLEXABLE-WIRE-COVER-tube
I ordered various diameters, 1/4", 3/8", 3/16" 1/2" and 5/8", you'll need to measure your old harness to determine lengths

Crimp tool
Amazon
Pro'sKit 300-005 Crimper, Ratcheted, AWG 20-18, 16-14, 12-10.Non-Insulated, Open Barrel terminals, Multi

Butt Crimp Die
Ebay
LANDS DL801G-DIE COAX COAXIAL CABLE CRIMP CRIMPER TERMINATION RATCHET TOOL DIE
Die Crimp for RG-58, RG-59, RG-8X, RG-6, RG-174 & MORE

These may not be right for you, but it's what I used and was successful in completing my harness. Good luck.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: FI Harness complete Reply with quote

How did you like the coaxial cable crimper die for the butt connectors?

I have been suggesting that for a few years and I think it works REALLY well. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbillow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: FI Harness complete Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
How did you like the coaxial cable crimper die for the butt connectors?

I have been suggesting that for a few years and I think it works REALLY well. Ray

Yes Ray, that was definitely the way to go. I did have to use the smaller setting for my new wire, as it was a smaller diameter than the stock Thanks for the info!
Rusty Floorpan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: FI Harness complete Reply with quote

This is amazing. Gives me inspiration to redo mine.
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: FI Harness complete Reply with quote

Great job JB!
Coosie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: FI Harness complete Reply with quote

Totally impressed. I too wanted to restore the EFI system in my 71 squareback as a carburetor set up doesn’t work well with an automatic and the engine never ran right, but I took the less adventurous path and bought a new harness from Jeff Bowlsby. I have to give a shout out to Jeff. First thing our mechanic said to me when he looked at the parts was “where did you get that harness!” and the car runs super. Also, I would like to give a shout out to Ray Greenwood who took the time to give me the information I needed before making the decision to restore the EFI system.

Marcus
71 square
85 westfalia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: