Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Temporary Paint
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject: Temporary Paint Reply with quote

Hey guys, I’m looking at getting a VW with lots of Patina. My wife thinks it’s ugly, to the point that I’m considering covering it with some kind of temporary paint until I can go back and address the rust section by section.

My plan is to do a rolling restoration where every once in a while I will sand down a small area and then use a small detail gun to cover it with a primer until I’ve done the whole car.

I just want something that I can do quickly that looks good from 10 feet away. I don’t care if it comes off in a rain storm. A friend suggested latex house paint. Any suggestions?
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Temporary Paint Reply with quote

latex paint ? Shocked

Maybe cheap enamel paint from Tractor Supply, Farm/Fleet type of place in a cheap spray gun?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Temporary Paint Reply with quote

Here is your solution….as a matter of fact you will probably like the end result. It also covers a lot of flaws(surface rust and bad bodywork). Before applying all you need to do is give your car a good washing & tape off or remove the items you don’t want painted!

https://www.dipyourcar.com/pages/dyc-vehicle-kits

Before:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In progress:

Finished:

I did my wife’s bus also. Both are close to 10yrs old and need of a redo. Can be pealed off in sheets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Temporary Paint Reply with quote

Plasti dip is a dam good idea? It’s fast, cheap, and I can peel it up as I work each section. Thanks for the idea!
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Temporary Paint Reply with quote

Westy Steve wrote:
Plasti dip is a dam good idea? It’s fast, cheap, and I can peel it up as I work each section. Thanks for the idea!

Once on your wife might not let you remove it!
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Temporary Paint Reply with quote

All paint is temporary.

Wink

Max
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Temporary Paint Reply with quote

Westy Steve wrote:
Hey guys, I’m looking at getting a VW with lots of Patina. My wife thinks it’s ugly, to the point that I’m considering covering it with some kind of temporary paint until I can go back and address the rust section by section.

My plan is to do a rolling restoration where every once in a while I will sand down a small area and then use a small detail gun to cover it with a primer until I’ve done the whole car.

I just want something that I can do quickly that looks good from 10 feet away. I don’t care if it comes off in a rain storm. A friend suggested latex house paint. Any suggestions?

Had the same issue with the wife when we got married. Ive been using satin krylon for a dozen years now and as I do body work or get crashed into I use a spray can to touch up.

Id use something era correct like tan which looks nice and hides dents and such (this one was matte).

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: