Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Squareback restoration
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zsuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: 1966 Squareback restoration Reply with quote

Just got our 66' squareback home yesterday, super excited about it. Pressure washed it, which took off the moss and dirt.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Started ripping out the interior and basically cataloging and seeing what parts I can/can't buy new. ISP West has a lot of helpful diagrams for parts. I yanked the dashpad and steering column. I noticed a few differences from the diagrams and was wondering if anyone could clarify.

https://vwispwest.com/type3/front-axle-steering/steering/early/
For #32, the diagram shows a rubber mount of sorts, mine didn't have the mount, just a lower grommet. It was similar to this below but not quite it.
https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/steering-column-grommet-113-415-607-a/

What's the correct steering wheel lower grommet? Is the lower rubber mount required?
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Squareback restoration Reply with quote

Wow! That’s awesome! I own a ‘65 sunroof squareback, I used to think ‘65 was cream of the crop until I started paying attention to all the bling ‘66s have. Chrome galore inside and out, and red (pigalle) and brown (teak) were only offered in early ‘66. I restored mine from the ground up , hit me up if you need some reference or help. Cosmetic stuff, I know mechanical so so, timing and electrical are my Achilles’ heel. Good Luck with the project! What direction are you going? Stock or custom?

Martin
Allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zsuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Squareback restoration Reply with quote

I'm planning on keeping it 90% stock, I'd like it to be as close to stock so nothing looks out of place. However, when I do the engine rebuild, I'm planning on bumping it up to 1800cc.
zsuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Squareback restoration Reply with quote

Pulled the Motor over last weekend. Mounted it to a stand. Came out fairly nicely, exhaust was a PIA to remove. Yet to crack the block, but was able to strip everything off of it.

Rebuilding the steering box this weekend, waiting on the paint to dry and the last of the parts to come in.

Fuel pump rebuild recommendations? I did a bunch of reading, and people seem to despise the new kits for the metal parts, but I didn't see too much opposition to the rubber parts. As long as I swap the original metal parts then it should be ok? or would it be better to try and track down NOS? I'd rather keep the original pump if possible.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Squareback restoration Reply with quote

zsuttle wrote:
I noticed a few differences from the diagrams and was wondering if anyone could clarify.

https://vwispwest.com/type3/front-axle-steering/steering/early/
For #32, the diagram shows a rubber mount of sorts, mine didn't have the mount, just a lower grommet. It was similar to this below but not quite it.
https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/steering-column-grommet-113-415-607-a/

What's the correct steering wheel lower grommet? Is the lower rubber mount required?

What you're showing are two completely different parts. The Type 3 part is between two pieces of sheet metal - it's a completely different shape.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Squareback restoration Reply with quote

On your fuel pump, contact the link below as he does a great pump rebuild.

https://www.sparxwerks.com/

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
zsuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Squareback restoration Reply with quote

Been a busy month. Got the interior gutted, and body off the pans. I welded new pan halves in and am prepping the pans for paint. The transmission is out being rebuilt.
A few questions for reassembly:
For the axle retainers, is it worth switching over to the machined two-piece retainers?

Should I change the rear wheel bearings while they're out? They appear to be good, and I'm not sure of the quality of available bearings.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: