Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drift brake aka turning brakes
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Drift brake aka turning brakes Reply with quote

I have my Rail down right now for some updates and upgrades. Part of that, is new turning brakes. I traded in the old single handle for two sleek looking "Drift Brakes". They look good and seem pretty rugged so for thirty five bucks a pop, I thought I'd give two of them a try.

I mounted them on the old mount and they fit good. Then I started to hook up the hydraulic lines and ran into problems. I don't know what size fittings they take! Per the specs., they're something called 7/16 UNF and3/8 UNF.

Does anybody know what that is and how to connect them to VW brake lines?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Drift brake aka turning brakes Reply with quote

Do a search through Summit Racing or Jegs.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKey...o%20metric

Or get the fittings from your FLAPS & make your own lines.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Drift brake aka turning brakes Reply with quote

Yeah, I tried the online speed shops but can't find a match. I'm just going to take it in to one of the local speed shops.

What's a "FLAPS"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Drift brake aka turning brakes Reply with quote

Friendly
Local
Auto
Parts
Store

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Drift brake aka turning brakes Reply with quote

Thanks!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Drift brake aka turning brakes Reply with quote

Just some people pronounce "friendly" a little different... Cool

The fitting sizes at 3/8 UNF, is simply 3/8 fine bolt thread. And 7/16 UNF is similarly 7/16 fine bolt thread. So they are NOT listing tapered pipe thread or AN. I don't know why they chose straight bolt threads instead of tapered pipe thread. Hard to seal bolt thread. And hard to find fittings to put into them.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Drift brake aka turning brakes Reply with quote

I have some adapters on the way that should be here in a couple of days. We shall see if they will fit. The fittings are not just threaded bolt holes. They're cut for a flare fitting just like the 10MM VW flare except not.
Schepp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Drift brake aka turning brakes Reply with quote

If you are using the empi or other China Turing brake. The thread size is 1/8-NPT. Not 10mm taper thread. I purchased both metric and imperial tapered thread sizes and verified 1/8-NPT fits correctly.

I’m not a big fan of the bubble flares. You’re technically not supposed to re-use them once they’ve been tightened up. They’re essentially a crush fitting.
That doesn’t mean they will leak if re-used but they could.

Not only that but the 1/8-NPT to 10-1.0mm metric bubble flare fittings are way more pricey than standard 1/8-NPT to 3/8-24 inverted flare fittings.

Inverted flares can be re-used over and over. It’s what all American and Japanese car manufacturers use.

So I used the inverted style flares on my turning brake just in case I ever need to remove it.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Drift brake aka turning brakes Reply with quote

Yeah, they're from China but they don't use 1/8npt on either the inlet or outlet. They are officially called 7/16 UNF and3/8 UNF with the bigger one being the intake. Both are flare type fittings. I could have found adapters locally but I ordered some. I figure at under forty bucks a pop including shipping, it's worth spending a little on adapters. They're called Drift Brakes on Fleabay.
Schepp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Drift brake aka turning brakes Reply with quote

Don’t be surprised if you can’t get the fittings to seal with the straight threads. Sounds like it’s more of a hassle than what it’s worth.

Also drift brakes are not turning brakes. The handle you bought will lock both wheels up when you pull on it.

A turning brake is selectable for left or right side of the car.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Drift brake aka turning brakes Reply with quote

Schepp wrote:
Don’t be surprised if you can’t get the fittings to seal with the straight threads. Sounds like it’s more of a hassle than what it’s worth.

Also drift brakes are not turning brakes. The handle you bought will lock both wheels up when you pull on it.

A turning brake is selectable for left or right side of the car.

Like I've already said: They're not just straight threads. There is a flare type seal machined into the seat. I'm not sure yet what kind of flare it is but it's no problem if they don't seal up. I'll just machine them out to something that will seal!

Regarding drift brakes versus turning brakes. Yeah, I'm aware that there is a slight difference!That's why I got two of them. One for each side. It's in my O/P. Besides, my old CNC turnig brake had two MC's too, except with one handle between them. If I can do it with store bought adapter fittings, I should be able to get them both working for under a hundred bucks total brand new.

If I have to machine them, it still won't cost me any more because I'll do it myself. Extra work but no real big deal. If I can make these things work and I see no reason why I won't be able to, I'll have a pair of drift brakes that look way cooler, have more adjustments and are cheaper than a turning brake. To me, that's worth the hassle. But, that's just me!
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Drift brake aka turning brakes Reply with quote

Schepp wrote:
If you are using the empi or other China Turing brake. The thread size is 1/8-NPT. Not 10mm taper thread. I purchased both metric and imperial tapered thread sizes and verified 1/8-NPT fits correctly.

This is correct, I have installed these in two cars recently.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.mooreparts.com/empi-18-1102-brass-brake-line-adapters-1-8npt-to-10mm-pair/
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Drift brake aka turning brakes Reply with quote

Here's the pair that I'm using.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Drift brake aka turning brakes Reply with quote

After ordering assorted adapters and taking it in to a rice burner auto speed shop, I have given up on finding any kind of adapters for these drift brakes. I can find adapters that fit but nothing that will adapt it to 10mm bubble flare.

I considered machining out some adapters but decided that that was to much work. Then I considered having four custom brake lines with the proper fittings/flare on one end and 10mm bubble flare on the other end made up but gave up on that idea too. So I just ran a 1/8" pipe thread tap thru it after disassembling it. One of the holes was already very close to 1/8" pipe and just needed "chasing". The other one had to be actually tapped but it was pretty easy.

Now I'll clean it out really well and install them both. I set a hundred dollar limit on this project just to see if it could be done. I have exceeded that limit but only because I bought a hand full of brass fittings that don't fit! I should have just tapped it out to 1/8" pipe from the start. Oh well.

CrazyTestPilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Drift brake aka turning brakes Reply with quote

So you've figured out how this new system is going to integrate with your foot brake? Add another $100 or so.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Drift brake aka turning brakes Reply with quote

It's already completed and in use daily except in this crappy cold weather we've been having!
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Drift brake aka turning brakes Reply with quote

CrazyTestPilot wrote:
So you've figured out how this new system is going to integrate with your foot brake? Add another $100 or so.

Why would it add another $100?
You just pipe it inline like any other setup.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: