Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Emergency Brake cable...vendor?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well - Sunday after seeing this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769785
I decided I should crawl under my bus with some tools and a light.

The CV's were good, but my E-Brake cable is hurting.
I am in the market to replace them, but I am wondering about the vendor options.

Using the same (stock?) photo, Bus Depot sells it for $9.95, CIP1 for $22.39 and West coast Metric for 29.95.

It ain't much money, but what is the difference - if any?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

andreWTF
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

you need to know if it is per set or per each. I used bus depot ones but that was 10 years ago.

Last edited by SGKent on Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

I installed the west coast metric ones 10 years ago. Still working fine.

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

they are priced per single unit. Rockauto has them, the Dorman items are mercifully out-of-stock, but IAP & Raybestos are listed, $7.88-$19.95 per. +ship
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

the difference is BD will claim to have them, then after 2 weeks email you and tell you they are out of stock

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
the difference is BD will claim to have them, then after 2 weeks email you and tell you they are out of stock
that is why I make all my orders over the phone to the people in the back who pull the stock or order it from whomever they drop ship it from. They tell me if they have it or not.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
that is why I make all my orders over the phone to the people in the back who pull the stock or order it from whomever they drop ship it from. They tell me if they have it or not.

People today must think parts guy are ogres or something. Much better to spend hours on line an to speak over the phone to an ogre or some other hideous monster.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

People today must think parts guy are ogres or something. Much better to spend hours on line an to speak over the phone to an ogre or some other hideous monster.[/quote]

well, the parts guy sometimes misses stuff. I recall a T belt for a 1,751cc Honda, took the old belt in. Parts kid tries to foist off the 1,488cc 'crescent' tooth T belt on me. I needed the 'square' tooth for the bigger engine.
Other times they act like I'm trying to rob them because I grab a can of parts cleaner, some RTV, they shadow me like I'm going to crack the can open right there in the Schuck's(now O'reilly's) & begin huffing it. Once I get those two items, I explain I need a rear main seal for a Chevy 1/2ton pick up, & oil pan gasket. Once he sees I have actual cash, he almost begins to calm down.
That was the last time I used Schuck's. I think it was around 1999. F'em.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:

Whats that have to do with calling a place like Bus Depot? As for FLAPS, I have a NAPA store that I have used for decades and have never had the problems you talk about. If nothing else I can get them to hand me one of their old parts books and I can quickly flip through the pages and find what I am looking for way faster and with less aggravation than I can typically find something on the web.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
timvw7476 wrote:

Whats that have to do with calling a place like Bus Depot? As for FLAPS, I have a NAPA store that I have used for decades and have never had the problems you talk about. If nothing else I can get them to hand me one of their old parts books and I can quickly flip through the pages and find what I am looking for way faster and with less aggravation than I can typically find something on the web.

just why I use RA or go to a European Parts House that's local. Bus Depot, think I bought a few things from them. I just don't expect the local FLAPS to have parts & pieces for a 46 year old vehicle. As far as NAPA, they did charge $300 for a gasket & seal set for a water-boxer Vanagon at the same time the European Parts House charged $140. Same German stuff. 100%+ mark up. No thanks NAPA.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

I mean, the Wolfsburg West flasher relay for my bus is a $12 FLAPS relay selling for $38… There's a line between supporting the hobby and whatever that is. Wink

Does anyone have luck placing a phone order at BusDepot? I walked in and wasn't able to get a straight answer on some things… Laughing

All my friends love RockAuto. They seem to answer the price/brand question as well:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,197...cable,1696
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
I mean, the Wolfsburg West flasher relay for my bus is a $12 FLAPS relay selling for $38… There's a line between supporting the hobby and whatever that is. Wink

Does anyone have luck placing a phone order at BusDepot? I walked in and wasn't able to get a straight answer on some things… Laughing

All my friends love RockAuto. They seem to answer the price/brand question as well:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,197...cable,1696

I just posted a bit a few days ago on Rockauto.

While they have been around for a while, I think I started using them in maybe 2010 or 2011. In that era up through about 2015/2016 when they still had a customer service live person line, they were superb.

If you had a problem.....and virtually every problem was not an actual part or part quality problem.....it was a catalog number issue (wrong part/right number or vice versa) or a wrong part description in the catalog. They were really savvy about wanting to get the description and part # right and corrected.

Later as they got larger and got rid of the "live CS" line.....thinking about 2016 or 17.....up through about 2019-ish.....they had some issues with this.

They are very worked out and streamlined now. I just had to send back a part about 3 weeks ago because the catalog had the new model year end breakdown wrong on one mfgs part number.

They fixed it quick in the catalog, emailed an electronic chat link to describe the issue.....3 minutes later a return shipper label arrived in email. They offered option of credit back on my card, PayPal or store credit to buy the correct part.

New part came 2nd day on their dime.

But......you NEED to know the differences in the parts/mfg brands/series/quality. In many listings they might have 25 different parts listed for one item....spanning three different quality levels and a handful of manufacturers.

If you read their "info" section on each part they typically list OEM part # aliases and actual manufacturers part # of the part. Then you can take that info to Google....and look for reviews of that part by that mfg in that series......to make educated decisions.

Lots if good parts at RA. Ray
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

You pay a 5-10% premium at FCP but get lifetime warranty replacement on everything. I just sent back $600 of refunds including used oil filters and brake fluid.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

Robbie - we've been cheated several time by Rock Auto with them shipping us defective merchandise, old sun damaged etc., then they say, just pay to ship it back and we'll refund you. We no longer buy from them.

I have no trouble at BusDepot. Haven't used them since the flood so don't know if that changed things.

Quote:
You pay a 5-10% premium at FCP but get lifetime warranty replacement on everything. I just sent back $600 of refunds including used oil filters and brake fluid.
I hope that is a joke. If not then anyone who does that will have an encounter with karma on a long winding road in a dark forest on a dark night.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

If you had a problem.....and virtually every problem was not an actual part or part quality problem.....it was a catalog number issue (wrong part/right number or vice versa) or a wrong part description in the catalog. They were really savvy about wanting to get the description and part # right and corrected.

i tried to send back some gaskets that they showed were MLS and came in fiber.
long story short, they didn't want to eat it. the p/n out in the wild shows a MLS gasket made by the same company

anyway, their "diy return" deal basically locked me out from trying to solve the issue.

i did a chargeback on my CC over 10 bux worth of gaskets on a 290.00 order

got all of my $$ back and never heard BOO from them

never cared for BD as they play the game of making you believe an item is in stock when it's not. then after a week + they email you. this day in age there is absofuckinglutely no reason your POS (point of sale) software can't show live inventory

i have been doing more and more with worldpac, SSF, northside and the dealer for parts these days.

NAPA has always been very high in terms of prices, even with a shop discount. 99.9% of the time their 'altrom' line is a genuine OEM part.

I seldom use FCP euro anymore but use to when they were in my back yard. I know the family well and they have all treated me good. in fact, 95% of my parts shelves came from them when they moved.

at any rate, I get the same parts from the same people they do so i don't use them much anymore

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

Quote:
Details: closed
Return Number: 486460
Refund Total:
$23.75 Refund type:
Auth.net (Credit/Debit Card) Refund Date:
6/20/2022
**Please allow 1-3 business days for refunds to post into your account

Rtn. Qty
Product Name
Return Price Each
Total
1 Volvo Coolant/Antifreeze - Genuine 31439821 (VOL-31439821) 21.99 21.99

My 30,000 mile coolant from 2019
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
Details: closed
Return Number: 486460
Refund Total:
$23.75 Refund type:
Auth.net (Credit/Debit Card) Refund Date:
6/20/2022
**Please allow 1-3 business days for refunds to post into your account

Rtn. Qty
Product Name
Return Price Each
Total
1 Volvo Coolant/Antifreeze - Genuine 31439821 (VOL-31439821) 21.99 21.99

My 30,000 mile coolant from 2019

I hope you are making this up. If not someone should tie you feet first to an old tractor without a safety switch, start it, put it in gear, point it south, and walk away.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

no, they literally take all the old shit back which is amazing, as you should see the EPA/state bullshit i have to go thru to handle waste oil.

not sure how they are getting away with it.

i can however help you out with the tractor

just had the old Allis out the other day. when you get put up in the bucket with a pole saw you can cut REALLY high Laughing

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

no, they literally take all the old shit back which is amazing, as you should see the EPA/state bullshit i have to go thru to handle waste oil.

not sure how they are getting away with it.

i can however help you out with the tractor

just had the old Allis out the other day. when you get put up in the bucket with a pole saw you can cut REALLY high Laughing

You need a waste oil heater. Two birds, one stone.

I’ve bought a lot of stuff from autohausaz.com in the past. Their inventory seems to be pretty good, and (at least in the past) there is free shipping over a certain amount. Rock Auto always seemed to stick it to you on the shipping costs. They price everything low, but with shipping added it’s basically the same as Amazon.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Emergency Brake cable...vendor? Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:

You need a waste oil heater. Two birds, one stone.

i don't produce enough to justify one. i absolutely HATE oil changes, same with tire work

if someone needs just an o/c i kick them down the road. i will only do one with some other service. there is little to no money in doing o/c's

that said, i heat the shop with propane and on average it only costs about 120/year. this year? who knows

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: