Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's your gas mileage / fuel economy?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TinyPickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
TinyPickle wrote:
Regarding expenses, better to live in the dark isn't it? ... Rolling Eyes

There was a saying I heard: Do not track what you spent on women or cars. It spoils the fun Smile

TinyPickle wrote:

How does poptop changes consumption? (i've never seen one up close..)

It added around 0.5-1 litres.
Most on highway (above 100km/h) and strong front wind routes where the wind drag really counts.
The front tub that causes the turbulences so some lid on top or filling it with luggage helps to reduce the consumption.

Well said Very Happy
Although i'm tracking expenses in syncro restoration. It's not pretty. Neutral

Is the pop-top somewhat heavier than tintop too?
I guess with TDI you can drive more than 100 km/h, my cruising speed is 94 km/h.. Anxious

WIP - Offroad Spec Syncro - 1.9 TDI AFN - Build Thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
IG: syncro_brothers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

TinyPickle wrote:

I guess with TDI you can drive more than 100 km/h, my cruising speed is 94 km/h.. Anxious

It adds some weight, but not significant. The turbulence caused by the luggage rack which adds to the wind drag quite a lot.

With the Tdi you need to modify the gearbox to have higher travel speeds. Otherwise it just rotates much over its sweet point.
I have an AAP gearbox and a 0.74 ratio 5th. 110kph is around 3000rpm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinyPickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
TinyPickle wrote:

It adds some weight, but not significant. The turbulence caused by the luggage rack which adds to the wind drag quite a lot.

With the Tdi you need to modify the gearbox to have higher travel speeds. Otherwise it just rotates much over its sweet point.
I have an AAP gearbox and a 0.74 ratio 5th. 110kph is around 3000rpm

Ah logical, this means alot at high speeds.

Forgot about the gear change, this is something i'll have to do. I have a ASZ 1.9 TDI from golf 4 ready to be put into syncro. Will see about that process..
Whats the sweet speed with stock gearing on yours?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

TinyPickle wrote:

Whats the sweet speed with stock gearing on yours?

with the stock 3H 3000rpm was around 95kph.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinyPickle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

Nice, thnx for info

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

'91 tintop replaced with tarptop. Probably saved 80 pounds. Stripped out interior in terms of seats. It's a DD utility vehicle, which gets camping--occasionally--and hauling crud. Tools, junk and boats 'n stuff. New bed platform which replaced the rear seat weighs around 40 pounds. Lots of times, no PS. Here she is in some of those uses showing her versatility.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Note the tailgate in the shot above. This 20 pound addition has greatly added to her utility as well as providing a great extended bed platform.

Rebuilt WBX- Matt Steedle tranny. 205 all weather Nokian 16" at 28 psi.

Around town MPG 18/19 ish. On the road 20/21. Just came back from a 500 Interstate miler with this on top.

Boat weighs 21 pounds, rest of boat gear and camping crud ~100 ish. Expected 17--actual..............19.9!!! Obviously the boat is way more aerodynamic than the T3 itself.

Duncan
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

I must say, I'm jealous!

My 90 2.1 Automatic rarely good mileage.
I fill up at least once a week, sometimes twice, rarely three.
I track every tank full.
Most frequently I get numbers in the 15 mpg range,
Sometimes as low as the 14's
Rarely in the 16's.

It is a work vehicle with a Hauler roof rack and the unit tips the daily weight scale at about 5,000 lbs with all the tools and supplies I carry.
Almost all of my driving is local low speed driving, though local is a lot of rural back roads, not congested city stop and go.

Someday I should remove the rack and tools and run a tank full. See how the MPG numbers change.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

Ha!

I post whining about my MPG's .....
i've driven a lot thus week.
Filled up Monday, just filled up again.
Lots of driving but no highway, all backroads between my destinations.

Guess what?
16.775 mpg!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dublife13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

I have recently acquired a 1987 westy. Service history/mileage unknown. I did some general tune ups, plugs/wires/oil/filters/fuel system/water pump/belts/tires….

Drove it from NW Washington to the redwoods and back and was saw 17.5 mpg. I felt like that was pretty decent. I think I’ll be looking at a Subaru swap this winter for the extra power up hills.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

84 westy automatic, 2.5 subaru stock gearing but bigger tires on the rear. Recent trip started with a full tank and fully loaded with camping shit. water tank about 3/4 full

mix of highway/secondary roads 22.3 mpg windy as hell and did about 70-75 on the highway.

when i say fully loaded with camping shit it was a 2 day trip. i was 'heavy' but not like live out of the van for a week heavy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
mix of highway/secondary roads 22.3 mpg windy as hell and did about 70-75 on the highway.

That's decent MPG for a brick! Did you correct for the larger diameter tires? If not, you likely did even better than that.

I have a 1984 Campmobile with stock engine and automatic trans. I get 19-21 but I keep it 60MPH and under on the USA's 'Blue Highways' (recommended novel if you're looking for a read).
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

tail wind both ways? none of my 2.5s ever got that close. 19 is best ever, usually 14-16, headwind 75mph 12mpg

are those speedo distances/speeds or GPS adjusted?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

brickster wrote:

That's decent MPG for a brick! Did you correct for the larger diameter tires? If not, you likely did even better than that.

so the rear tires are taller to keep the rpm's down seeing i'm handicapped by 1 gear.

fronts are a hair taller than stock. speedo is dead on in terms of speed, but used the GPS to calculate the mileage

at 75 i was at around 3600 rpm, which is about 300 more than i like to see with the swap

EDIT

wind was more of a cross wind, not tail or head on

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

OK so real world...what do you speculate is the 37% increase in your setup vs mine 16 vs 22 ?

22-16=6 / 16 = 37.5%

brickster wrote:

so the rear tires are taller to keep the rpm's down seeing i'm handicapped by 1 gear.

fronts are a hair taller than stock. speedo is dead on in terms of speed, but used the GPS to calculate the mileage

at 75 i was at around 3600 rpm, which is about 300 more than i like to see with the swap

EDIT

wind was more of a cross wind, not tail or head on

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
OK so real world...what do you speculate is the 37% increase in your setup vs mine 16 vs 22 ?

22-16=6 / 16 = 37.5%

dunno. what are your rpm's at 75?

cams, head work and exhaust would be my guess. Matt turned up the pressure in my trans as well. less slip around town.

Should also add i'm not carrying a spare, nor am i dragging around a/c which you seem to have (but plan on adding)

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

I get about 3 hours per tank on the highway. Wish I could provide more info but my speedo hasn't worked since 2009.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I get about 3 hours per tank on the highway. Wish I could provide more info but my speedo hasn't worked since 2009.

And no GPS? Tom/Tom, Garmin, phone driven, or other?

Mileage is right there in front of you.

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:

its actually better not to know. its a global costs over many interesting stops along the way....way better mindset that vs, every 10 miles costs you $3

rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

For the past several years I’ve got 23mpg no matter how I drive. I recently replaced my turbo out flange from oem 1 5/8” diameter to 2” and my mpg jumped to 25mpg.

ALH eTDI with larger vnt17 turbo. 16”CLK running geolanders that are almost stock diameter. AA Trand rebuilt the tranny with modified 3rd and 4th. Can’t remember the ratio.

87 tin top converted to ASI Riviera pop top. Carat bumper and air splitter. Lots of crap hanging off the side and rear spare. 5300 lbs with 60l of water.

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

Great car, great mod on the turbo and great mileage, but that goop on the roof? You can do better than that. You've hurt its feelings and we all know what happens to a T3 with hurt feelings.

Duncan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 33

Jump to: