Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

State Bumper Height Requirements
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

I've seen bumper height forums on here for specific VWs but this forum is for specific bumper height requirements by state. I lived in northern Wisconsin for about one year back in the 70s and have been curious about this since I was pulled over in 1974 by an elderly county cop who questioned my bumper height. To this day, I'm convinced that he just pulled me over because I was 19 and had a hot car. He stated that front to back bumper variance could not be greater than 4". I was in compliance but I was still bent out of shape because I was singled out. Today I looked up the state requirements and couldn't believe what I read. Wisconsin says that bumper height for cars must be within 2" of stock height measured at the highest point of the bottom edge of the bumper to the road surface. That's where the cop got the 4" from so I understand that. What I don't understand is that trucks are allowed a 9" height variance from stock so front to back difference can be as much as 18". That's absolutely ridiculous! What are other states requiring?
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
I've seen bumper height forums on here for specific VWs but this forum is for specific bumper height requirements by state. I lived in northern Wisconsin for about one year back in the 70s and have been curious about this since I was pulled over in 1974 by an elderly county cop who questioned my bumper height. To this day, I'm convinced that he just pulled me over because I was 19 and had a hot car. He stated that front to back bumper variance could not be greater than 4". I was in compliance but I was still bent out of shape because I was singled out. Today I looked up the state requirements and couldn't believe what I read. Wisconsin says that bumper height for cars must be within 2" of stock height measured at the highest point of the bottom edge of the bumper to the road surface. That's where the cop got the 4" from so I understand that. What I don't understand is that trucks are allowed a 9" height variance from stock so front to back difference can be as much as 18". That's absolutely ridiculous! What are other states requiring?

I would say unless you have to have a correct bumper height to pass inspection to get a car registered and on the road I would not lose sleep on it. I have not heard of anyone in my circle of enthusiasts getting checked for bumper height.....ever.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

Trucks are completely different animals, especially since the word truck encompasses such a large variety of vehicle sizes.

Large trucks, including tractor trailers, have a high rear platform where a bumper would normally be. The front bumper on the cab is considerably lower. Trucks of this size also have something referred to as a Mansfield Bar (Underride Guard), which is a steel extension mounted under the rear to prevent lower vehicles, such as cars, from having their roofs sheared off should they strike the rear of the truck.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:

Are all the slammed and lifted cars thereby running equipment violations?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

Bumper height, headlight height. No one cares any more.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Trucks are completely different animals, especially since the word truck encompasses such a large variety of vehicle sizes.

Large trucks, including tractor trailers, have a high rear platform where a bumper would normally be. The front bumper on the cab is considerably lower. Trucks of this size also have something referred to as a Mansfield Bar (Underride Guard), which is a steel extension mounted under the rear to prevent lower vehicles, such as cars, from having their roofs sheared off should they strike the rear of the truck.

A car could easily slide in under my school bus if tailgating, thankfully it never happened when I drove.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

The best HWV cover ever!!😎

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

Too many variations to list. My build bible for my street legal tube frame buggy. Kind of a moot point since both of my boys are mo state inspectors. If your going to ride around in a cop magnet....

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

Tell the people that drive pick 'em up trucks and jeeps. Even a bone stock has bumpers way higher than my stock Subaru.

My 74 compared to an original low mileage 74.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

Emily's Owner wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:

A car could easily slide in under my school bus if tailgating, thankfully it never happened when I drove.

I don't recall seeing a M-Bar on a bus. Maybe it's not required? I have, though, seen a few pictures of cars/SUVs that have rear ended school buses. None of them slid under.
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:

I don't recall seeing a M-Bar on a bus. Maybe it's not required? I have, though, seen a few pictures of cars/SUVs that have rear ended school buses. None of them slid under.
I've seen a couple of sedans that had rear ended school buses (both Thomas like mine in photo) here in the Portland area - slid under and ruined the whole front end, luckily both were low speed strikes. Pickups are taller so they just get munched in. I've never seen an M-Bar on a bus either. usually the transit style buses sit much lower, the conventional's are higher. Of course if their car is as low as my son's Corolla, they'll get bonked in the forehead by the bus bumper by the time they stop moving Rolling Eyes

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback

Last edited by Emily's Owner on Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

This is lost on him!!!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

Probably ticketed for indecent exposure for that outfit. We had some seriously bad fashion in the 70s
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Probably ticketed for indecent exposure for that outfit. We had some seriously bad fashion in the 70s

You've got that right! I wouldn't be caught dead in something like that! I'm still living in the 60s man!
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

Florida has no minimum, pan scrapers abound but we have maximum heights. vehicles under 2000 GVWR front 24" rear 26", 2000 to 2999 GVWR front 27" rear 29", 3000-5000 GVWR front 28" rear 30", over 5000 GVWR exempt
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

We have that same 24 inch headlight law in WA too (lower is OK if stock), but I've never heard of it being enforced. The Bug starts out stock just barely over 24 inches. The F body Camero has lower headlights stock.

I see in WA we don't have a bumper lower height law, but the upper limit is 22 inches for passenger cars to the bottom of the bumper. Bumpers are not required on "kit cars" or "street rods" but then 22 inches the maximum height to the bottom of the frame. Trucks have a higher minimum but nothing over 30 inches. (WAC 204-10-022)
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

Emily's Owner wrote:

Dang…..If my bus driver looked like you. I’d always be on time to class. Maybe perfect attendance Wink Cool

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:

Just take the bumpers off. In Wisconsin vehicles built before 1972 aren't required to have bumpers...or seat belts. I got out of a seat belt ticket because I was driving a 1970 Squareback.
1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: State Bumper Height Requirements Reply with quote

I solved the problem by moving out of Wisconsin. Illinois is another story.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: