Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Details on original SO-34 Flipseat sisal mat carpet rugs
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Details on original SO-34 Flipseat sisal mat carpet rugs Reply with quote

I am having Fred Udog make me a new repop sisal mat for my April `62 SO-34.
I have my original mat on hand but looking for others who still have their original sisal mat to compare details-features before I get mine made.

Here are some pictures of mine. Notice the black binding on mine is only one the fore and aft edges of the mat not the long sides. My long sides are indeed stitched to keep the rug from fraying but no signs of binding.

I have also seen pics of another original sisal on the forums here where the binding is opposite of mine. That one is on the long sides and not on the fore and aft. Fred makes them with binding around the entire perimeter. I am trying to verify what may be correct for a so-34 for my era and looking for other pics-examples if others can share.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Details on original SO-34 Flipseat sisal mat carpet rugs Reply with quote

My 1965 SO-35 looks to be the same as yours.

I have also seen at least one in a picture where the binding was opposite of yours and mine.

The other difference I have seen is that the earlier models seem to have the table leg pushed closer to the front of the bus. Yours appears to be the earlier style with the table pushed forward. Look at where the table legs are in relation to the water cabinet door.

My 65' SO-35 sisal mat:

oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Details on original SO-34 Flipseat sisal mat carpet rugs Reply with quote

Lind's 61' MG SO-34 from the gallery appears to have the edging on at least two sides, long and short:

I also noticed the chair hold down ring is aluminum on Lind's bus, but is brass on most I have looked at.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Details on original SO-34 Flipseat sisal mat carpet rugs Reply with quote

I know this one is a re-pop, but it was copied from the original I'm sure. From member type241 from the gallery.

3 sides with the edging:

Lind's may be the same, hopefully he will chime in.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Details on original SO-34 Flipseat sisal mat carpet rugs Reply with quote

I am currently not near my flipseat, but I can check it out when I get back, and get some photos.

My bus was built in June 1961
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Details on original SO-34 Flipseat sisal mat carpet rugs Reply with quote

The forward edge of my sisal mat does not have edging sewn onto it. That edge is the factory edge of the material, so it won't easily fray. I have a feeling that they put edging in the two or three cut edges of the mat, wherever they landed.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Details on original SO-34 Flipseat sisal mat carpet rugs Reply with quote

I have been ready through different threads and I’m going to say this mat is not original. Most seem to be black/grey and mine is blue/ green. It’s in a 1961 so34. Thoughts ?

57 oval project barn find
88 cabriolet
eddie.would.go
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Details on original SO-34 Flipseat sisal mat carpet rugs Reply with quote

Looks like newer household nylon carpet that somebody reused the carpet fasteners on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: