Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Powerflex radius rod bushing cup?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwendorf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Powerflex radius rod bushing cup? Reply with quote

I'm updating most of the bushing on my '89 2WD this weekend. The powerflex radius rod bushing kit comes with a metal 'cup' that (according to their instructions) is supposed be installed on the forward side of the chassis in between the chassis and the bushing.

Can anyone advise as to whether this 'cup' is supposed to be used or not?

The reason I ask is that the cup has a lip that is supposed to fit inside the radius rod hole, however the diameter of the lip is bigger than the diameter of the hole on my van.
'88MoneyPit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cup goes on the front side of the mounting bracket. The lip should fit in the hole that the radius rod fits through.

S
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a lot of rust build up on the radius rod holes on my van. It was making it look like the holes were slightly smaller than they actually were.
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rubber front bushing has a metal disc with a lip molded into it. It' same separate piece in the poly application.

The radius rod bushings need to flex and compress as the wheel moves up and down and turns.

Rubber flexes and compresses. Poly does not. The metal will wear it away until it's too loose.

This is one application where rubber is better than poly. For something like the steering rack mounts or upper control arm bushes, poly can work well because it's not asked to flex.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zak99B5 wrote:

Rubber flexes and compresses. Poly does not. The metal will wear it away until it's too loose.

Have you personally experienced this with the Powerflex bushings in a Vanagon application? And have you seen how many people have had trouble with the OE rubber replacements that have split because they are so hard/stiff?

The Powerflex urethane material is softer than the replacement rubber radius rod bushings. It flexes and compresses exactly as it should. For high wheel travel applications, the yellow compound is even softer yet to allow for maximum articulation.

As for the fitment of the cup, I do agree that something is amiss with the holes in your chassis. Check for rust, undercoating buildup or a previous repair that may have resulted in an undersized hole.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
kirsplat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some cases part of the forward bushing rusts to the chassis and needs to be pried away.
This may be your issue.
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:

Have you personally experienced this with the Powerflex bushings in a Vanagon application? And have you seen how many people have had trouble with the OE rubber replacements that have split because they are so hard/stiff?

The Powerflex urethane material is softer than the replacement rubber radius rod bushings. It flexes and compresses exactly as it should. For high wheel travel applications, the yellow compound is even softer yet to allow for maximum articulation.

True--no Vanagon experience. But A4 Jetta/Golf experience with lower control arms. The poly bushings in the rear position, which rely on the bushing to flex, would at first be too stiff. As the poly got worn away by the metal moving inside it, it would hit a sweet spot and work well. But further use would lead to further degradation of the poly, and then the bushing was too loose.

In the forward position, where it was a round bushing around a bolt that moved axially, the poly was great.

It may well work differently in the Vanagon.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cup goes "Out" I really like mine. My New rubbers didn't last long at all.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwendorf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, the metal disc that was attached to the original bushing was still in the hole; the old bushing tore away and the metal disc stayed in place. Because of rust, age and leftover rubber bits it wasn't obvious that there was anything removable there. Once I figured it out I was able to tap it out with a hammer and punch. Then the powerflex bushing cups fit as expected.

I kept the parts that were giving me trouble and will post a pic of them later.
Mark W. Roush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: powerflex radius rod bushing cup? Reply with quote

Hello all, I just wanted to report on my experience with the powerflex bushings on my radius rods as perhaps others have had a mysterious sound coming from their front end!?
I bought from Chris at T-3 some years ago and at the same time I switched my 1984 front end entirely to a late model setup and added GW big brakes, GW 0 lift springs and fox shocks not to mention urethane everywhere. So many parts replaced that it took me some time to find my mysterious clunk. Turns out it was this "cup" which has a lip slightly small (1/16") for the hole in my chassis. It would slide just enough in that hole either side to side and/or up and down and on both sides! Of course there is no way to tighten up the tension on the urethane due to the length of the cylindrical spacer. My spectacular final fix was to add a ring of .016" copper sheet cut to about 1/8" and temporarily held in place with a short piece of scotch tape while I worked it back into position (all without removing the rods) tricky because of the angle of the rod but doable! I wish I'd taken a picture of the cup with the copper but I trust you get the idea! Now my front suspension is absolutely quiet! Yeah!! PS: My chassis is so clean and rust free that perhaps that added to the cups ability to slide around.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: powerflex radius rod bushing cup? Reply with quote

Mark W. Roush wrote:
Hello all, I just wanted to report on my experience with the powerflex bushings on my radius rods as perhaps others have had a mysterious sound coming from their front end!?
I bought from Chris at T-3 some years ago and at the same time I switched my 1984 front end entirely to a late model setup and added GW big brakes, GW 0 lift springs and fox shocks not to mention urethane everywhere. So many parts replaced that it took me some time to find my mysterious clunk. Turns out it was this "cup" which has a lip slightly small (1/16") for the hole in my chassis. It would slide just enough in that hole either side to side and/or up and down and on both sides! Of course there is no way to tighten up the tension on the urethane due to the length of the cylindrical spacer. My spectacular final fix was to add a ring of .016" copper sheet cut to about 1/8" and temporarily held in place with a short piece of scotch tape while I worked it back into position (all without removing the rods) tricky because of the angle of the rod but doable! I wish I'd taken a picture of the cup with the copper but I trust you get the idea! Now my front suspension is absolutely quiet! Yeah!! PS: My chassis is so clean and rust free that perhaps that added to the cups ability to slide around.

I'm not sure I understand where this copper was added.
The aluminum cup lip fits tight in the chassis. Chassis holes are often worn out though, maybe this was your issue?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: