Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

camera
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: camera Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
The best cameras are the ones that capture the moment.

Surely you mean the best photographers?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: camera Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
Xevin wrote:

That’s right. Thanks for the correction. Applause

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: camera Reply with quote

Globespotter wrote:
I have and use a digital Canon EOS 800D/Rebel T7i and love it. I used to shoot with an AE-1.

The EOS rebel line is FANTASTIC. For film cameras, you cannot go wrong with a Nikon A1.

For beginners, the Nikon d3400 and d3500 is a great budget camera. A T2i EOS rebel or new is even better if you can afford it.

But then again, my s22 is pretty darn good for a phone.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

^^s22
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: camera Reply with quote

In the 70s as a kid. I couldn’t afford a med format camera like Hass, Mami, or Rollei. But I got me one of these disposable cameras. I miss a good view finder.

I should’ve popped the detail lens

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: camera Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:
Xevin wrote:

That’s right. Thanks for the correction. Applause

...and don’t call him Shirley...
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: camera Reply with quote

I like my Canon DSLR and I have a few $$$ in lenses, but if I were starting from scratch I would look at the new mirrorless cameras.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: camera Reply with quote

07-08, dumpster diving at my apartment in Vallejo Ca.
I found a camera bag. Inside was a set of filters, a 55mm lens, unused 35mm Fuji film.
Puzzled by this discovery. I dug deeper and found a Cannon 35mm SLR. OK!
Digging even deeper, I found a 50x200 telephoto lens for the camera body. Sweet! Very Happy

I gathered up my prize and gave it a look over. The Body, and lenses were in working condition.

I can only summarize, that either a guy or a gal had a bad split, or a death and didn't want to deal with the leftover camera goodies.

An eBay check revealed that this camera setup, at that time was worth $35USD at that time. Shocked

I turned the camera package over to Mrs. 67RA.
She was a gifted photographer. She had what I call the "Gift" when it came to taking great photo's. I suck at it! Shocked

She promptly turned over the camera package to her Meth addicted son who traded it for some small amount of Meth. And the story ends there.
Really sad that such a great camera package was worth nothing and lost to a drug addict.

Now a days, I use either my smart phone. Or a DJI II action cam, to capture pics/vids of the moment.
This is a recent video capture from the DJI II action cam.

Link

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: camera Reply with quote

so if the goal was to take good quality photos documenting work on a bay in low light - say the engine bay, under it, macro shots, is this one of the best solutions?

Chickensoup wrote:
Globespotter wrote:
I have and use a digital Canon EOS 800D/Rebel T7i and love it. I used to shoot with an AE-1.

The EOS rebel line is FANTASTIC. For film cameras, you cannot go wrong with a Nikon A1.

For beginners, the Nikon d3400 and d3500 is a great budget camera. A T2i EOS rebel or new is even better if you can afford it.

But then again, my s22 is pretty darn good for a phone.

^^s22

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: camera Reply with quote

Consider the workflow too. Do you really want to deal with a plug-in card reader and manual image importing every time you use it? I'm only familiar with older Canon and Fuji stuff when they were first employing wireless transfer but even years ago it was extremely useful.

And you KNOW I'm going to say it… Don't discount smartphones these days! Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: camera Reply with quote

I’ve got a ring lit medical Nikkor lens that eliminates reflections. I think it isn’t more that any of my cars I drive. I have a clip on my IPhone that works just as well.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: camera Reply with quote

the pixel 4a 5 works fine for quick shots. It does not do as well as the Canon AE-1 I had. I want something equal. When I am done getting which ever camera it is, I am going to document an epic BAY FI engine pull, and rebuild that every person doing one for years to come will want to read, copyright it, and post it on a competitor's site because the stupid controlling moderator(s) here don't know a good thing when they have one.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: camera Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
so if the goal was to take good quality photos documenting work on a bay in low light - say the engine bay, under it, macro shots, is this one of the best solutions?

I believe it is and i will tell you why. Aside from the d3400 being a really good learner camera with excellent image quality....

You can download the nikon smart bridge app, that allows you to automatically have the camera send the photos over to your phone via bluetooth. it also has a lot of other neat futures in the app.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: camera Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Consider the workflow too. Do you really want to deal with a plug-in card reader and manual image importing every time you use it?

not true. even the cheapest of nikons are snap bridge compatible. and even if, so what? It take 30 seconds to pop in the sd card.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: camera Reply with quote

It takes even less to synchronize a WiFi SD card to your library without any hardware interaction
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: camera Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
Back on topic - if your investment is big in Canon FD, you could always try something like https://www.kentfaith.com/KF06.082_canon-fd-to-canon-eos-mount-adapter and buy an Canon EOS family camera.

I went Canon FTb -> AE1p -> A1 then a series of disappointing digital cameras, from 0.3MP to 7MP.

I went on the holiday of a lifetime to California in 2009 and I regretted only having a 7MP point and shoot Samsung camera..

In 2013, I bought an 18MP Canon EOS100 and two EF zoom lenses covering 18mm to 250mm focal length, with the longer lens having image stabilisation..

That has covered me from drunken snapshots at VW events, to taking pictures of yacht racing out on the water between laying racing marks for the yachts.

No, mobile phones cannot take pictures as sharp as a decent DSLR with the same number of pixels - the camera sensors are smaller compared with the wavelength of light, so no matter how amazing the optics, the pictures are always slightly fuzzy ..

Do you know if the above adapter allows full functionality of the FD lenses? I had read that some adapters are made but they do not allow full functionality of the FD lenses. If the adapter mentioned above (and I did look at their webpage) allowed full functionality of the FD lenses than all I would need would be the EOS camera body, and I could keep both the 35mm and a digital with the same set of lenses.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: camera Reply with quote

I want to thank the moderators for killing this thread. I had to take some photos the other day, and the smartphone did not cut it. I also looked up the adapters, they appear to be less than desirable but they do allow new photographers access to the many inexpensive lenses on fleabay. There are also known issues with them. (Darn). It is a shame I can't do something special to help TheSamba Bay forum for lack of the information needed. It was Bay specific due to lighting conditions in and under a bay or split, something one does not get because you won't be crawling under a bug etc to take a photo.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: camera Reply with quote

To close this thread. A friend from my early 20's, almost a brother-in-law at one point in my life, got back to me on cameras. He is a professional photographer in Hollywood who is well known for some of his shots like the ones below of his borrowed from public domain. I didn't know when he would get back to me because he has been on an extended RV vacation in Alaska. He said that he is using both his Iphone and a pocket camera, a Sony RX100. I looked it up and it come with a Zeiss 24-70mm zoom lens built in, and fits in a pocket. I may consider getting one of these.

Some of his more well known photos. My Favorite - Jay Leno and Terry Bradshaw fighting over a cake. Have to click the link at Getty images to see it.:
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/episode-4378-...=2048x2048

Jay Leno and Obama

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: