Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Slow idle at start 1979 FI
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow idle at start 1979 FI Reply with quote

DJPJMJ wrote:
All 4 plugs looked good when I pulled them, all a greyish white and clean, gapped correctly.
The plugs/points/dist. cap all less than a 1000 miles old. I've ordered a new fuel after hearing that noisy pump. Should be here in a few days.

I stand by what I typed. Seeing it and making my own interpretation of what I see across all 4 plugs is the way I made a very good living when I was a young man! Most of the time, I just had to pull the plugs to confirm my hunches!

It costs you nothing but your time, as opposed to dropping it off at a shop. Back in the day I would have sold you a minor tune up, to look at those plugs! $85.00

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow idle at start 1979 FI Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Back in the day I would have sold you a minor tune up, to look at those plugs! $85.00

Well....., since you're in there anyways..... Wink

I agree on good pics of the plugs, one man's "good" is another's "hmmmm.., Ahhhh..OK now".

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
DJPJMJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow idle at start 1979 FI Reply with quote

Plugs 1-4 left to right. Pulled after idling for a while, couldn't go for a ride, raining.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow idle at start 1979 FI Reply with quote

Looks extra lean to me from here, especially after an extended idle.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
DJPJMJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Slow idle at start 1979 FI Reply with quote

Ok if that's the case the question is why?
I plan on seeing what's going on with my noisy pump, check fuel volume, figure out how to test the Temp II sensor at the ECU. Not sure what else, I don't want to mess with the AFM in any way.
Pic of engine bay in case anyone can see something wrong, been adding clamps to vacuum hoses lately just to see.
Another pic of the Beetle and my '87 Vanagon. (don't let the clown painting scare you)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Slow idle at start 1979 FI Reply with quote

Agreed, too lean. Now we know a direction to go.

Pull those injectors and let’s see what those chimneys look like. If you have the skills, it is possible to volume check them, but you need to have some skills and be really really safe!

Is that the head temp sensor in that yellow connector? That does not look right. If that is sending a compromised signal, the WCM may be thinking “leaner”.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
DJPJMJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Slow idle at start 1979 FI Reply with quote

that's just a yellow connector piece I tried, previously just electrical tape over that.
I'll get on the injectors when I can, but what is a chimney?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow idle at start 1979 FI Reply with quote

DJPJMJ wrote:
that's just a yellow connector piece I tried, previously just electrical tape over that.
I'll get on the injectors when I can, but what is a chimney?

Hoping that yellow connector is not adding any resistance to the temp sensor circuit. That would throw a big wrench in the works!

Chimney or a Nozzle Cap or Pintle Cap.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow idle at start 1979 FI Reply with quote

A few ohms here and there is nothing for a TS2; it would be a bigger deal for an injector or ECU ground I suspect.

Did I miss a smoke test?

Did your AFM air bypass screw walk itself down and out a little?

Does your AFM have an anti-backfire valve in it with a leaky cover? (Visual inspection, easy.)

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Slow idle at start 1979 FI Reply with quote

X2 on the smoke test. I've had SO little success over the years spraying fluids to find vacuum leaks that I don't even try anymore. Robbie...good idea on the backfire valve, they can leak. I have to re read to see if he tested the TS2. IIRC if it, or its wire shorts to ground the system goes full lean...just like a vacuum leak
DJPJMJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Slow idle at start 1979 FI Reply with quote

Still playing with this. Yesterday :
Reading at ecu for the ts2 is correct. Ts2 is new.
Checked afm mixture screw by turning all the way in and back to the starting point.
It is at 3 1/4 turns and was very tight, don't see how it would walk out.
The fuel pump was very noisy. I had replaced all the lines there a few month ago.
Went back and checked for kinks, changed filter , rearranged hoses, noise seems to be gone.
Rechecked timing.
Checked aav again. Opened it up a bit. When I started n the car it had an increased idle but pretty quickly drops down to below 800.
After warming up ,disconnected and plugged vacuum hoses from the decel and aav to eliminate a leak source.
Battery is at 12.65v
I don't know where the anti backfire door is. If its on the swinging door I don't have one. Took for a spin, no change. I do notice that is a little boggy even when warm now. Never feels like the car will die though, good steady idle when warm. Gotta find time to figure out a smoke test and pull injectors I guess.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Slow idle at start 1979 FI Reply with quote

DJPJMJ wrote:
Still playing with this. Yesterday :
Reading at ecu for the ts2 is correct. Ts2 is new.
Checked afm mixture screw by turning all the way in and back to the starting point.
It is at 3 1/4 turns and was very tight, don't see how it would walk out.
The fuel pump was very noisy. I had replaced all the lines there a few month ago.
Went back and checked for kinks, changed filter , rearranged hoses, noise seems to be gone.
Rechecked timing.
Checked aav again. Opened it up a bit. When I started n the car it had an increased idle but pretty quickly drops down to below 800.
After warming up ,disconnected and plugged vacuum hoses from the decel and aav to eliminate a leak source.
Battery is at 12.65v
I don't know where the anti backfire door is. If its on the swinging door I don't have one. Took for a spin, no change. I do notice that is a little boggy even when warm now. Never feels like the car will die though, good steady idle when warm. Gotta find time to figure out a smoke test and pull injectors I guess.

Go through the smoke test and repair all the leaks you find. That is #1!

When you remove the injectors to replace the seals, check their volume. Be safe working through the test. Disable spark by clamping the high tension lead to ground. Be careful as atomized fuel is highly explosive!!!!! Or take it to a shop that can manage that test for you.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Slow idle at start 1979 FI Reply with quote

Any Bosch licensed diesel injection shop can clean and test a set of injectors, usually same day and ~$100. Nearly every town has one.
You'll get a sheet with before and after flow numbers, usually new pintle caps too.

If you have never had them serviced it may be time now.

Слава Україні!
DJPJMJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow idle at start 1979 FI Reply with quote

Had a little time today and made a smoke tester out of a 1 gallon paint can.
I got A little wisp of smoke from a crack in the S boot, more smoke from the oil filler cap. Also A little Maybe from behind the crankshaft pulley?
I temporarily sealed up the s boot and oil cap, runs the same though.
I'll get to the injectors as soon as I can.
Forgot to mention, volts at the fuel pump while cranking are 9.7v, and 11.3v with engine running, not sure if that's good or bad?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: