Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

crack around oil switch? Solved: leaking oil pressure switch...
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:56 am    Post subject: crack around oil switch? Solved: leaking oil pressure switch... Reply with quote

After rebuilding the matching numbers engine and driving around 1000 km with an absolute super dry engine, it started leaking. There is always a little wet oil film on the engine tin below the oil pressure switch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First I thougt it was because I put more than a drop oil into the distributor, and in deed it left through the vent hole on the underside of the distributor. But know, this vent hole is dry again, the oil on the engine tin continues.
Having a look careful on the area around the oil pressure switch, I recognize some irregularities in the cast. Is or are these cracks around it?

The pictures are not the best I know, hope you see what I mean.
I would like to travel about 2000 km during the next time, I would like to fix it anyhow before the journey starts.

Last edited by pastellgreen on Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: crack around oil switch? Reply with quote

You will NEVER get it clean enough not to leak. I have tried a muriad of cures. You name it, JB weld etc.. I drove mine from Texas to Va. with it leaking, many times. This spot has caused many in this hobby to stop driving. It has caused me to even pull an engine and try to get at it but to no avail. Really, you have two choices. One, carry on. Two, get a new case. Simple as that. You can cut it out and repair it but it will ALWAYS leak, once it has. Oh and when you tighten the switch up, dont tighten as much. That is what caused this and it took 1000 km to show up.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: crack around oil switch? Reply with quote

Yes, that switch looks like it is wound in pretty tight.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: crack around oil switch? Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
Yes, that switch looks like it is wound in pretty tight.

During the rebuild the switch was in place. I own this car since one year and I never had my hands on this switch. The switch seems to be wound in with some red sealant.
I can see no crack that is running towars the thread, I only see these lines around it. So I wonder if these are marks from the casting or if these are really cracks. Hard to tell, when one could not see oil running out from this area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: crack around oil switch? Reply with quote

They are casting marks.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: crack around oil switch? Reply with quote

It can be hard to see clean oil on a clean engine.
What you can do it dust the area with Talcum powder and then run the engine. If any oil is even seeping slightly it will first show up as dark spots.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: crack around oil switch? Reply with quote

I agree with Glenn, those are casting marks. I bet you’re blowing oil past the pulley, which is pretty common.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: crack around oil switch? Reply with quote

From what I can see, it does look like typical casting marks. Why not remove the switch and check for crack originating at the case threads. Also, spray and clean the switch with carb cleaner or like. Pay special attention to the plastic terminal area. Go for another run, check to see if the plastic has any drips.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: crack around oil switch? Reply with quote

Again - with a leak of this "magnitude" - is it worth the bother and the risk of breaking the case there a "good idea".

So think about leaving it be....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
maplesyrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: crack around oil switch? Reply with quote

I’ve known a few oil pressure switches to leak from behind the plastic housing around the spade connector.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: crack around oil switch? Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your support!
Pulled the switch out, had much oil on a towel when cleaning its underside! The plastic with its connector is loose, I'm convinced it was a leaky switch.
It is my nature to panik and to first think of the worst case.
I replaced the switch by another one in modern style I had, and hope very much, not to have it screwed in there too much. Turned it by hand and at the end gave him a quarter to a half turn with a wrench. Also I used sealant and hope it will be fine now. Keep you posted. Thank you again!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: crack around oil switch? Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
Pulled the switch out, had much oil on a towel when cleaning its underside! The plastic with its connector is loose, I'm convinced it was a leaky switch.

Common for switch to leak at plastic interface.

pastellgreen wrote:
Also I used sealant and hope it will be fine now. Keep you posted. Thank you again!

Just note that if the switch doesn't work, that sealant could be preventing the threads making contact with the engine case to ground the circuit.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: crack around oil switch? Reply with quote

maplesyrup wrote:
I’ve known a few oil pressure switches to leak from behind the plastic housing around the spade connector.

^^^^^^

Me too!
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: crack around oil switch? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
pastellgreen wrote:
Also I used sealant and hope it will be fine now. Keep you posted. Thank you again!

Just note that if the switch doesn't work, that sealant could be preventing the threads making contact with the engine case to ground the circuit.

Good point! I will test it in five minutes on the way to work...
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: crack around oil switch? Reply with quote

The green light went off very much quicker than with the old switch. That, even the old one had a more sensitive operating area (0,15 - 0,45, the new one opens at 0,3). So the old one was definetely harmed. At low idle the green light was glowing, and I was on sorrow. Is gone now.
The last point is that the thread stays clean (what it is now). Today it is cold weather and the short drive to work is perhaps not meaningful. I will post here, when driven a longer distance in hot weather.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: crack around oil switch? Reply with quote

Have driven further 100km in hot weather on the highway. Engine is dry as a desert, problem solved.
Thank you very much for your support! Now I have a more difficult problem, but this continues in a new thread...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: