Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:
My 2002, it may be wrong but I have never set my timing, in 100,000km.

Same, I've driven ~112,000 km since buying my car, never touched the timing, now 185,000 on the car.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
jmott76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hey Radstude, yes our plugs look different and that’s just because mine is missing the plastic piece that allows the connector to mount from above, instead someone just stuck mine on the side without the other piece. For whatever reason my car came missing the piece which is why I want to remove the distributor to replace it. I ordered a hall sensor off of AliExpress for $6 just to get the missing piece. You can see where the three connector prongs are sticking out of the side on mine and it shouldn’t be that way.

In order to put that plastic piece on I have to remove the distributor and unscrew the hall sensor but I’m a bit nervous about doing that as I don’t know much about electronic ignition and timing. I was just hoping to mark everything and put it back exactly as it was removed.

For those that mentioned that they haven’t adjusted their timing in thousands of kilometres I would probably never do that either except that I’ll be moving the distributor in this case which is the reason for my original post.
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I see what your saying now.
2002 VW Mexican Bug 1600i
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggyboyshane
Samba Member

Location: newcastle northern ireland/ Valley Springs California

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Brazilian beetle query please help my head is melted.

OK I restore bugs and can happily say I thought I had seen everything and was very familiar with nearly all aspects of a beetle.

A customer has brought me a brazilian 70's beetle. I'm in Ireland. This bug is like nothing I've seen before. Small windows, pre 64 style but with push button 60-64 style handles, but with upright headlamps short bonnet etc.

It has 4 bolt drums all around but still linkpin front end. The chassis around the rear is very different . The rear has 2 piece rear drums that bolt together.

My main issue is the rear brakes..... I cannot get shoes to fit. The area where the shoe makes contact with the adjuster is nothing like it, and so when it's built and the adjuster is wound it it slides out of shoe....telling me I need larger diameter rear shoes.... any ideas?
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

It's probably some kind of oddity that you'd need to get from Brazil. Could you have the original shoes relined because you know they fit?
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

It should be this what you have on the Fusca? The drum consists of two parts that bolt together.

https://sur.fuscanet.com/Frenos%20y%20accesorios/D...-tornillos

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But: I cant find anything particular about the brake shoes, they look "normal" to me:
https://sur.fuscanet.com/Frenos%20y%20accesorios/D...1600-4x130

Here is a how ti video in portugese... I hope it helps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfGv4nU375s
buggyboyshane
Samba Member

Location: newcastle northern ireland/ Valley Springs California

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

yep alex thats exactly the drum! the brake shoes ive offered up to post 68 brake shoes and i can see there is a bigger diameter, plus the tab that goes into the cylinder and the the tab that goes into the adjuster are bigger. when i used normal bug shoes, and adjusted them out, they popped out of adjusters and wouldnt meet the drum.

they are so unique its mad. i think im just going to get them relined, they are still the original vw riveted shoes!

many thanks
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

From what I've seen it is quite normal in Brazil to re-line your own shoes, even at home. There are other videos in addition to the one posted and it seems a common practice.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
jmott76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Trying to reconnect the rear deck lid security sensor on my 2002 Mexican beetle which was disconnected when I bought the car and was wondering if it should have 2 wires running to it as I noticed there are two connection points on the actual sensor itself.

I had posted earlier about a lone wire hanging out of the harness which turned out to be for the sensor but am now wondering if there should be another running to it as well?

Thanks in advance.

radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

jmott76 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Trying to reconnect the rear deck lid security sensor on my 2002 Mexican beetle which was disconnected when I bought the car and was wondering if it should have 2 wires running to it as I noticed there are two connection points on the actual sensor itself.

I had posted earlier about a lone wire hanging out of the harness which turned out to be for the sensor but am now wondering if there should be another running to it as well?

Thanks in advance.

Just the one wire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmott76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Does it matter which terminal it connects to? I guess I’ll just try them both.

Thanks.
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Looking at the terminals, mine is on the right terminal. But it shouldn't matter.
jmott76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:
Looking at the terminals, mine is on the right terminal. But it shouldn't matter.

Great. Thanks for that. I’ll give it a test run when I get home later today.

After 20 years of life in Mexico it appears by the paint missing on the hinge bolts that the rear deck lid was removed at some point and the sensor wire appears to have been forgotten to be reconnected when replaced.

Thanks for the help once again!
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Help please - vent window seals.

So, when I bought my 1995 1600i, it was a non-runner. A number of mechanics had given up. A local VW dealer was actually willing to look at it. ( few mechanics are willing to deal with both air cooled and sensors/ecus) It’s now running fine.😀👍 But they discovered it was far from waterproof. Most of the rubber seals had perished. So I had them replace almost all the window/door/trunk seals on the car. Most are good. However, the front vent windows are terrible. Incredibly hard to open/close. Large gaps between vent window and seal. I complained and asked for them to be adjusted. I even sent them a few links on how to do it. They keep saying there are no adjustments. I get the feeling they haven’t done this kind of thing since air cooled beetles went out of warranty in the 1970 .So:

-are the doors/windows and different than German 70s beetle?
- are the adjustments any different?
- any links you can suggest instructions for installing door seals (especially the vent window)

Much thanks, Sambas.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

coolbugfan wrote:
Help please - vent window seals. ...

The seals are the same as a '70s Beetle. When I did my scrapers (about 10 years ago now), I just ordered new scrapers and vent seals from Wolfsburg West for a '76 Beetle.

I did drill out the scrapers and only used the rubber and plate portion, so I could keep the black window trim, here's a link (with photos) to the post I made at the time:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652999&highlight=#6652999
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
coolbugfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thanks, Hopkin. Much appreciated. Hope to get the car back soon. Many jobs to do.
TechionDigit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Anyone have resources on a Super mexican engine swap? Wanting to put one in my ‘74 but not really knowing where to start electrical/emissions wise.
2002EVC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

If you haven’t visited http://1600i.com do so. Use chrome and turn on automatic translation from German to English. Opening the sub windows in new tabs makes it easier.

My ‘71 was modified this way, and it works very, very well.
2002EVC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Quick update on mine. All the codes mine threw before indicated a number of potential issues. The O2 sensor was definitely a culprit….i could see it sending odd signals while logging the ECU. After changing that out (thanks Antonio for the three spade O2), the throttle position sensor was also acting up a bit….thise are available, genuine Hella in the US for about $45….(thanks FCPEuro)

After a shakedown session and a basic settings run on VCDS….shes purring.

Thanks to this forum for all the threads over the years to point in the right direction and to Manfred for http://1600i.com
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

2002EVC wrote:
Quick update on mine. All the codes mine threw before indicated a number of potential issues. The O2 sensor was definitely a culprit… After changing that out (thanks Antonio for the three spade O2)

I also had an issue with the 02 sensor ... search took me to UKebay RomaniaEbay to Aussieebay found a number and found it at a local advance store fun as well as frustrating
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 166 of 192

Jump to: