Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
You would think.... but everything i do, i have to do again and again...... the blinker lever took removing the steering wheel 4 times....

Hell the steering wheel took 4 times too..... Wiring, bushings, etc..... I just keep at it.

and i thought i was the only driveway mechanic to do things four times or more.

hell, plumbing only takes three trips to the hardware store!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Added the Glove Box. When I did my keys, I also got the locking knob for the glove box.... I mentioned in a previous post that the Stereo deck has a corded rear USB. So I cut a hole in the back and added one of my new generic cut-able grommets and stuck the USB in there. I will load up a Thumb drive and have music galore.

Tuff to tell in the pic, but both additions are on the little rear step in the box. Kinda raises them up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2ndly, I added a double USB port in the box too. Funny thing, this 1972 vehicle did not seem to have a Cigar Lighter. Oh well, now I have a charging port and so does my wife... Laughing

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

lights work, but not 100% correctly. Low beams work, dash indicator for the parking lights works too.

turn signals are not quite there yet. I get a fast flash on both sides at the same time, not individually. And after some testing and wiggling of the wires, now the headlights flash a bit when the TS are on....??

High beams do not work. I don't hear a click when attempting to activate them. I do have a new blinker lever, might need to re-check my wiring there.

Headlights are from Vintage Car LEDs. I have them on my 914 too. All other bulbs are OEM incandescent type.
https://vintagecarleds.com/
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Triple-check your turn signal bulbs grounding. But before that, take a look at your flasher switch. It isn't uncommon for those to come apart where the "circuit board" loosens from the body. Most common fix is a zip-tie to hold it all together.

The dash switch provides a ground to the relay to swap between high and low beams. So you'll want to make sure that there is a ground signal going to the relay. You may need to pop the relay open and clean up contacts/lube the mechanism.

I had those same headlights on my Thing, and they would blink and do all sorts of wacky stuff. Seems cheaper LEDs can be very sensitive to slight changes in voltage/current. I tried cleaning the headlight grounds several times with no success, so I eventually swapped in 9002 bulbs (same housing) and went on with my life!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Thanks Dave....

After the above post, I was able to get the HL to work. High and Low beam and lever, along with all the indicator lights in the dash (green and Blue). So I can check that box.

With the exception of the dash light dimmer. I went ahead and bought a new switch and all the correct bulbs. I did have some dash bulbs that were LED. I forgot I had done that. IIRC the LEDs in the gauges will not dim. Anyone else remember that?

also have on order a new Flasher relay. Did not get a switch yet, probably should have.

looks like water got into this one. It is the Door Buzzer. Not gonna replace that one.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Time to get caught up, although I have not been terribly motivated since this video.... but here you go. I bought the Sync-Link from Pete here on the samba.

Had to switch sides with the carbs. It seems that pete did not have documentation for a std TIV with OEM fan, so he helped me get it installed.

Link

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

recently been working on the Heat. The HE that came on this bus looked good, I cleaned them up and installed them with the muffler to break-in the engine.

Now that I have gotten the heat flapper box cables straightened out, I attempted to install the heat components onto the engine.

Turns out these are from a 411. Some folks say they work well on a bus. But I was not told that until I found some HEAVY used 72 HE. So I now have an ad set up to sell these and make some of my $$ back.

I should have know something was up, as I installed the sled tins and had to clearance them to install..... DAMMIT.

This pic is the one that made me say, "WTF" and start asking folks. Stuff is not lining up.

Much better now. Can't find a fan pipe for this side. Turns out the lid from a cherry jar is perfect to close it off for now. Cool

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

As a precursor to the heat exchangers, I found that the tubes carrying the flapper box cables had rusted up and the cables would not come out.

Once again, before knowing all the options, I started cutting out the tubes. I DID LEARN THAT YOU REALLY DON'T NEED TO DO THAT. YOU CAN JUST WIRE TIE THE NEW CABLE SHEATH TO THE OLD TUBES..... FOLLOW THE PATH AND BOOM.

But I did some minimal cutting and used some PEX pipe to replace the old pipe. Only trouble with that is at the joints between OEM pipe and PEX the cable did tend to hang up, but all is well now.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:

A permanent temporary fix for the drivers door. As I mentioned, I cleaned the rust and used the POR-15 marine clean and metal ready prep. Then 1 coat of POR-15, a bit of ruffing up and a 2nd coat of POR-15 and a couple layers of tight mesh fiberglass. I call it a hippie fix.

I will own and drive this bus, so I will monitor the fix, see how long it lasts. The last step will be to ruff it up and smooth out the fiberglass, then go with a high quality top coat. More pix on that soon.

It has been a while, and this door is still not installed, but here is the finished paint job, etc...

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

After going thru several weeks chatting on here about how to run the wires to the coil.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9983097#9983097

And re-studying up on the install, I GOT THE ENGINE IN.... and as many folks have done it, I completed the task with no help. I do think that TRANZ JACK from Harbor Freight is great. It is not perfect, but it has yet to fail me. You can see it under the bus.

https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html

And again, as with EVERYTHING on this project, some items needed to be UN-INSTALLED.

COIL
Rear tin
CARBS

Now it is time to re-install them.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

I thought I was going to have to STOP and have a beer when I got to this point. I was starting to get pissed.

But a fourth look gave me the idea to put the jack on the tranz and lift up about 1/4".

The top mounting studs were not straight in. Jacked it just a touch. Got on my back and kicked at the btm of the fan shroud and it moved.... one more kick and BOOM. now it is time for that beer.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Ha ha, been there, kicked that!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Carbs are installed. SYNC Cable is connected. I suppose that the oval hole in the firewall is for the accell cable. Note to others, I used a LARGE grommet to seal it off. It easily took the OVAL shape, cut a hole in the middle and the accell cable went right thru.

I think I am going to add a spring to help the Foot Pedal to return to the top. The grommet on the short pedal shaft is new and kinda sticky. A spring should help.

I searched all over and could not find a factory battery (-) landing point. So As some of the guys on here have done, I made one in the fender well. Drilled a hole, sanded away the gray paint, inserted the bolt from the fuel access panel, added a lock washer and some HD thread lock, then attached the (-) cable. Pre-cable attachment, I did hit the area around the attachment point with some gray spray paint.

Bought a 18" long 1 Ga (-) cable from Tractor Supply. 60" long red 4 GA (+) cable too.

The other wire bundle you see going up from the battery is whatever wires remain from the TEST CONNECTION. I suppose I could have just cut them out, we shall see if they ever cause problems.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

The test connection wires can be a nice place to get signals for a trailer light hookup if you so desire.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Inching towards the finish line! Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

it is ALIVE. GREAT DAY. Electric fuel pump took a bit, but BOOM. once the bowls were full it started right up. Good fuel pressure for the carbs.

I will sync the flow on those next. I double checked the valve adjustment before i installed it. Timing was set when I ran it last summer on the garage floor. I need to add a spring to the carbs or the accell pedal or both. This is GREAT.

Link

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

a little longer vid of the FIRST START (in the bus) with a few extra views.

Link

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

as usual this update takes a few steps BACKWARDS.

Turns out that the hub that holds the fan to the crank shaft came loose. It is a taper fit and folks say when assembled correctly to the proper torque, they do not come loose.

I torqued it, but maybe the o-ring got pinched and broke torque. Anyway, with about 6 gallons of gas run thru the engine, I found this while syncing and tuning the carbs.

Link

THe belt is vibrating and at the end of the vid, you can see the pull do the same. The wobble damaged the crank at the woodruff keyway and the key. The experts on here have suggested that I LAP the hub to the crank. They were not married at the factory, so I should have done that before.

So with some Prussian Blue and valve grinding compound I Lapped and Lapped and Lapped to hopefully give me more surface area to match.

After that, I used JB Weld and glued in the new woodruff key, added the new oring and thread locked the bolt.... torqued to 23 ft-lbs.

Nice new O-Ring installed from AutoAtlanta. They are close and delivered quickly. But damn, a $5 item they required $7 shipping.... so I bought two.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Prussian BLUE.... shows that it is even.

Some "experts" in my other posts have said that this design will hold tight. The key is only there to align the fan and its marks. I have been adding valve grinding compound and LAPPING this to marry them up.

Done and done....

Using a different fan, but the same hub. This fan had a factory mark that matched, so I used it this time. So folks know, the mark only aligns with the 0 scale. It is just a reference. But you have the disty, the flywheel and the others to get you to TDC.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Reply with quote

Next came SHIFTER. It is yet to be solved....

I had this NON-ALIGNMENT... wiggled the engine-trans assembly and got it to this point. Not sure I am gonna do better. But it is concerning, given the issues that follow.

I removed the bellows as the grub screw pinches it and makes it impossible to shift.... it is at least one thing that makes it impossible.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: