Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to look out for on a van that’s been sitting
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jglasco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: What to look out for on a van that’s been sitting Reply with quote

Hi, I’m new to the forums. I’m about to (hopefully) purchase a 97 Eurovan Campmobile with only 75k miles on it. Its an out of state purchase, so I’ll probably drive it 800 miles back home.

I have no idea if the van has been sitting, but I want to be prepared. Are there things I should get checked out before driving it? It has a full mechanic’s report but I don’t know that it covers things that happen when cars sit for long periods.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: What to look out for on a van that’s been sitting Reply with quote

Well,thats 3k per year , so it’s been sitting it’s whole life.

Very Happy

At that low mileage, change oil for the trip home and enjoy the ride. Brakes might be a bit rusty if you are in a moist place
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What to look out for on a van that’s been sitting Reply with quote

Tires with flat spots from having sat in one position too long.

With an 800 mile return trip, I'd look into the possibility of getting new tires if needed before the return trip. If you can feel a vibe during the test-drive, jack up each corner, spin each wheel and see whether the tread is round and true. If it's not, I wouldn't trust those tires to get you home.

I don't think electrickery works that way
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: What to look out for on a van that’s been sitting Reply with quote

EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: What to look out for on a van that’s been sitting Reply with quote

Jglasco wrote:
Hi, I’m new to the forums. I’m about to (hopefully) purchase a 97 Eurovan Campmobile with only 75k miles on it. Its an out of state purchase, so I’ll probably drive it 800 miles back home.

I have no idea if the van has been sitting, but I want to be prepared. Are there things I should get checked out before driving it? It has a full mechanic’s report but I don’t know that it covers things that happen when cars sit for long periods.

Tires and brakes are first. Brake fluid will need a flush at some point if it hasn't been done. Give the pedal a firm "panic stop" press to test the lines. If one is gonna go you want it to do so in a garage rather than on the road.

Look for a date code on the tires. I'm betting they'll be more than 10 years old but who knows. Look for heavy crack in the tread and sidewalls. Check tire pressures and drive at moderate speeds.
See the link below for how to check date code.
https://danthetireman.com/blog/article/how-to-read-tire-date-codes-what-do-tire-dot-numbers-mean

Check coolant levels and hoses.

Check serpentine belt for cracks.

Run engine to a full warm up and make sure cooling fans turn on and there are no coolant leaks.

Fill up with fresh high octane fuel and add some fuel injector cleaner like Techron or Seafoam.

Taking a vehicle that's been "sitting" on an 800 mile trip is risky, but if you do the above check list you'll have a better chance of making it to your destination. Carry extra coolant, oil and transmission fluid.

Good luck!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: