Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 1965 where to buy crate motor transmission and front end
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Type3longbeach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Type 3 1965 where to buy crate motor transmission and front end Reply with quote

Where to find the best deals near long beach ca to buy a crate motor 1600 dp a transmission and a front end ...let me know please
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 1965 where to buy crate motor transmission and front end Reply with quote

I've never heard the term "crate motor" applied to VWs; that's more of a domestic thing.

But if you mean, an engine with no core parts to provide, then stick around this thread and see what gets suggested.

You might also try the "performance" forum, not because you want more performance, but there are lots of discussions about builders there, too.

Little is specific to the Type 3 engine, and far as "innards" go.

So, what are you starting with? Nada? Or a blown motor?
KylanC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 1965 where to buy crate motor transmission and front end Reply with quote

I'm in and around Long Beach and have never heard of a shop near by that sells turn key ready to go built motors for a type 3 like they do bugs and buses. A lot of shops will build a motor for you if you supply the core. I know Rancho Transmissions in Fullerton has transmissions but I don't know what their inventory is like or if they sell ready to go type 3 trans. Never dealt with them but I have heard nothing but good things about them and their work. Front end stuff should be able to get at any local shop that sells parts if you're looking for the basic ball joints and tie rods but anything other than that I would call ISP or go on their website. As far as anything and everything type 3, ISP West (in Carson) and this site are gonna be your best friends with buying and figuring out what you need. Give them a call and see what they got if you need anything. Not a lot of shops in and around the L.A./O.C. area other than ISP have type 3 specific parts. Most of this information is of course irrelevant if you are trying to put an upright motor, type 1 trans, and type 1 conversion beam in your car..
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 1965 where to buy crate motor transmission and front end Reply with quote

The only "ready to run" crate motor offering I am aware that readily (3-5 weeks) for Type 3 is GEX. And, while I sort of get it. The price is a wowzer. Otherwise, the go to are Samba classifieds and tested used Type 3 engines that pop up like this one
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2502043
And either would be shipping to your location. (~250-300 lbs) PLUS Core charge for GEX
I would assume you are asking for a full engine because you have a roller and/or the engine installed is known bad and missing numerous things too.
If you have a complete long block and/or engine installed, you can have it rebuilt. No idea about rebuilders in your area. The type 3 long block is not that much different from a type 1. It is what goes on to the long block that is really different. (That is why there are those "universal" cases.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 1965 where to buy crate motor transmission and front end Reply with quote

Here is as close to a crate motor as you will find. I almost didn't share the link because I want it but at his price I probably won't do it.. It's in the wrong end of the USA for you.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2512534
rosevillain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 1965 where to buy crate motor transmission and front end Reply with quote

I've seen steelbugin.com show type3 engines, usually bigger than stock, and you've got to pay to play. They are in Arcadia. He might be able to point you to a trans. For a front end, you'll need have yours rebuilt.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 1965 where to buy crate motor transmission and front end Reply with quote

DQDan wrote:
Here is as close to a crate motor as you will find. I almost didn't share the link because I want it but at his price I probably won't do it.. It's in the wrong end of the USA for you.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2512534

John does have 590 pages of Good Used VW Parts on the East Coast. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 1965 where to buy crate motor transmission and front end Reply with quote

Sorry if this is a little long but...
I don't know of any company offering a new complete turn key type 3 engine. A long block yes, but complete no.
A long block requires a type 3 oil cooler, type 3 fans and fan shrouds (2 each), along with all of the type 3 only cooling tin. Then you get into the exhaust system...heater boxes or not, stock muffler, or something else? Will it need to be set up for FI? Or carbs? AT or MT? This is WHY nobody offers a complete turn key engine for a type 3.
The best way to go, is a long block (built on a universal case), and a complete used type 3 engine, so you can get the type 3 only parts. Now keep in mind that the type 3 engine shares a lot of type 1 engine parts like cam and crank, pistons and rods, but the case needs to be a type 3 only, or a universal case. This is because of the oil fill tube/oil dipstick, and the bosses cast into the case for an engine hanger bar.

In my 65 Notch for example, I'm running a complete new type 3 long block, that was built on an all aluminum universal case. The engine was built by MOFOCO in Wisconsin, and shipped to me. I added all of my type 3 only parts to it, and have had it in the car since 2006. I've driven it from eastern Michigan to Joplin Missouri with only minor issues (vapor locking mechanical fuel pump after a short 10 minute stop, that got replaced with an electric one). And I wouldn't think twice about going anywhere in it. Note; I've swapped the entire rear sub assembly for an IRS set up, so I have to run an engine hanger bar. This required me to weld in the engine mounts to the body for the ends of the hanger bar to attach to. I built this car back in 2000 as a long distance cruiser, and it rides very nice on the freeways, and at speeds of 75mph. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 1965 where to buy crate motor transmission and front end Reply with quote

Annibal Chico aka Steelbugin as discussed above does built a turn key engine. AKA Chico Performance racing

stay away from GEX whoever even posted that is an idiot

Chico can likely hook you up with a transmission as well. What do you mean "front end" ? Axle? Body parts?
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 1965 where to buy crate motor transmission and front end Reply with quote

Quote:

GEX was selling junk from the dumpster 20 years ago, I don't know how they are still in business Rolling Eyes
I guess it's the old "a sucker is born......"

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 1965 where to buy crate motor transmission and front end Reply with quote

Another thing to figure out before making any purchases is are you going to run 6v or 12v, because that will change the used parts you need to look for.

Also what year front end do you need? I have an early one sitting around but I just got rid of my later model disc brake front end.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
luftKooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 1965 where to buy crate motor transmission and front end Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Quote:

GEX was selling junk from the dumpster 20 years ago, I don't know how they are still in business Rolling Eyes

In his defense it is the only type3 engine builder with upfront/updated pricing. As a noob searching it is the only one I found. Anyone know what an engine from Chico/Steelbuggin would cost? My guess is 6k-ish?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 1965 where to buy crate motor transmission and front end Reply with quote

luftKooled wrote:
W1K1 wrote:
Quote:

In his defense it is the only type3 engine builder with upfront/updated pricing. As a noob searching it is the only one I found. Anyone know what an engine from Chico/Steelbuggin would cost? My guess is 6k-ish?

call and ask. he does post on instagram. he is a top engine builder with a considerable lead time but I have never seen or heard of anyone ever disappointed in one of his motors. I'd also talk to Brian_e and a bunch of other small hobby builders but most will want to build a long block and let you figure out the ancillaries. It's not hard to get a complete motor for the fan / tins / etc and swap them over. You need to be able to do some work yourself or this likely isnt the car for you. I mean that in the nicest way possible
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 1965 where to buy crate motor transmission and front end Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

Jumping back in only to respond to the prior comment. The OP asked about Crate engines. I was only answering the question specific to that. And not a recommendation of GEX. The issue is I have no idea (nor do you) whether the OP wanted stock, or more HP engine. And I interpreted the question asking about SP Dual carb engine that would be close to stock. I still stand by my answer. GEX is the only one that I am aware that sells Crate SP Typ 3 engines.
When I did my research, I could not find any SP "Crate"engines. SP Long Block, a few, and otherwise you were left to used SP engines that have been on the shelf. So please don't call me an idiot for that reason.
Full Disclosure: I did deal with GEX back in the 80s for my Single Cab for a 1600 SP, and had no issues then.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 1965 where to buy crate motor transmission and front end Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Jumping back in only to respond to the prior comment. The OP asked about Crate engines. I was only answering the question specific to that. And not a recommendation of GEX. The issue is I have no idea (nor do you) whether the OP wanted stock, or more HP engine. And I interpreted the question asking about SP Dual carb engine that would be close to stock. I still stand by my answer. GEX is the only one that I am aware that sells Crate SP Typ 3 engines.
When I did my research, I could not find any SP "Crate"engines. SP Long Block, a few, and otherwise you were left to used SP engines that have been on the shelf. So please don't call me an idiot for that reason.
Full Disclosure: I did deal with GEX back in the 80s for my Single Cab for a 1600 SP, and had no issues then.

just posting about them as you are doing lends to their credibility. I stand by what I said.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: