Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which carb for my bus?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuzzmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Which carb for my bus? Reply with quote

Hi-

I've got a 64 deluxe with what I believe is a Type 1 66/67 1300 engine (Engine code number is F2075453).

What would be the best carb for this setup?

Thanks!

--Fuzzmaster
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Which carb for my bus? Reply with quote

I would find a good rebuilt 28pict or 30 pict if the engine is stock.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Which carb for my bus? Reply with quote

Probably isn't a 1300 anymore, most likely a 1600 by now. Carb choice will also depend on what distributor you plan on running.
Fuzzmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Which carb for my bus? Reply with quote

Distro is a .009
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Which carb for my bus? Reply with quote

A 30PICT-1 with the power fuel circuit, or late model 30PICT-3 with a matching factory vacuum advance only distributor would be my choice.

Do you plan on doing any modifications to the engine? What exhaust is on it?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fuzzmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Which carb for my bus? Reply with quote

I'm not trying to keep it 'all original parts', but at the same time, I'm not looking to make it some crazy drag-strip racer. Basically if there's some simple substitutions I can make like swapping out a carb or distributor, I'm all for it. Pulling the engine and boring out the cylinders is not for me Confused I'm just looking for a way to make it a viable weekend driver that can do 65 on the freeway without exploding Very Happy

I'm pretty sure the exhaust system is stock.

P.S. Not sure what you mean by the "power fuel circuit". Is that the powered fuel cut-off that prevents dieseling?
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Which carb for my bus? Reply with quote

Fuzzmaster wrote:

P.S. Not sure what you mean by the "power fuel circuit". Is that the powered fuel cut-off that prevents dieseling?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A solex 30/31 pict would also work well on a single port with a 009. They're also a bit easier to find.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Which carb for my bus? Reply with quote

Fuzzmaster wrote:
I'm not trying to keep it 'all original parts', but at the same time, I'm not looking to make it some crazy drag-strip racer. Basically if there's some simple substitutions I can make like swapping out a carb or distributor, I'm all for it. Pulling the engine and boring out the cylinders is not for me Confused I'm just looking for a way to make it a viable weekend driver that can do 65 on the freeway without exploding Very Happy

I'm pretty sure the exhaust system is stock.

You have a 1964 Split window deluxe, and you want to go 65 mph Laughing
Fuzzmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Which carb for my bus? Reply with quote

Are the EMPI carbs good replacements?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Which carb for my bus? Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
You have a 1964 Split window deluxe, and you want to go 65 mph Laughing

Ya, that's not going to happen with a stock 1300! 55 to 60 mph is a more realistic target.
Fuzzmaster wrote:
Are the EMPI carbs good replacements?

No. Find a decent German one and rebuild it. Normally I would not recommend a 009 distributor as a vacuum one would give better part throttle economy but in your case there will be very little part throttle anything. So it will not make a lot of difference.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Which carb for my bus? Reply with quote

Those expectations are unrealistic

Skills and an$20,000 budget will get you a reliable 65 mph Split, not a carby and a dizzy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: