Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Super Beetle *Sunbug* Project
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrshaund79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle *Sunbug* Project Reply with quote

walter kandetzki wrote:
I miss my sunbug.I had it in 99 and I was a teen and if I knew thesamba back then I could have saved the rust.best place for seals would be west coast metric.they make great stuff good priced and fast shipping.Wolfsburg west is another option.stay far away from jbugs

I just started using Wolfsburg, the delivery was actually quite fast.
Mrshaund79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle *Sunbug* Project Reply with quote

So today got the owners manual out of the glove box and found some car history, it was delivered to the owner in NJ September 6th 1974. I love that the vehicle is traceable. Next week plan on starting the tunnel and getting the rust stripped off and ready to get pans welded on.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mrshaund79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle *Sunbug* Project Reply with quote

Today I wanted to do something my son could come out and help with so started getting the bumpers cleaned up, the front bumper had some over spray from the previous owner spraying some rust encapsulator on the back.

Plan to keep the original bumper so hoping to get them as nice as I can anyway even though they are a bit pitted on the top and bottom.

Mrshaund79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle *Sunbug* Project Reply with quote

Today I started cleaning up the rust, and got the tires off, the drivers side was a bit stubborn. Hope the get the pans welded next week, and get all that painted.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle *Sunbug* Project Reply with quote

Mrs., I also had the Owners Manual in my Sun Bug, and it had the original owner's name and address in 1974. I did a Google search and found that he lived in the same place, although the zip code had changed.

I wrote him and sent recent photos of the Bug, and he wrote back sending me a few photos of when the Bug was new. He also told me all about the car--it was his wife's and his wedding car--and how happy he was to hear from me.

He's still married to the same woman, since 1974. I have her photo as she was driving the Bug, back in the day. She was quite the hottie.

The whole experience was very nice, for me, as well as the original owners.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle *Sunbug* Project Reply with quote

Nice bug! I like that color pretty well. Looks like progress is going good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mrshaund79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Super Beetle *Sunbug* Project Reply with quote

Well no one said this was gonna be SUnshine and rainbows, I continued cleaning the tunnel, top was not bad just the small section I will need to cut out and replace, started vacuuming the tunnel and and got to the front and seen daylight coming from a small probably 1/8 inch hole in the tunnel (pictured below) Is there anyway to properly fix this without cutting the tunnel? I know its a major structural component so I want to do it rite, not sure how the hell there was so much dirt and grease underneath there but started to wire wheel underneath as far as I can tell no real soft spots.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: