Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's your gas mileage / fuel economy?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
that goop on the roof? You can do better than that. You've hurt its feelings and we all know what happens to a T3 with hurt feelings.

Duncan

i've seen photos of your wiring. those who live in glass houses shouldn't cast stones

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

91 2.1 Automatic - Pretty much the same since new in 91. 18+ on the highway is possible if driven under 60-65. Tail winds help alot.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

For those with a broken odometer, you can always use phone App called Speedbox. Very handy to help confirm mileage & speed.

AceTaylor, is that a phone app? Name?

Craig
Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

AceTaylor wrote:
91 2.1 Automatic - Pretty much the same since new in 91. 18+ on the highway is possible if driven under 60-65. Tail winds help alot.

Only costs $30 more dollars per tank in a few short months.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
For those with a broken odometer, you can always use phone App called Speedbox. Very handy to help confirm mileage & speed.

AceTaylor, is that a phone app? Name?

I agree that apps can be helpful. I use one called trackmydrive to calibrate distance on my Ultragauge. It'll record a couple hundred miles and I use that to tell the Ultragauge the precise distance and then the Ultragauge tracks gas mileage very closely and reports Distance to Empty, amount of gas used, etc. Just like a modern car.

17.4 mpg over the last 478.1 gallons of gas (that's about 30 tanks of gas at 16 gallons per) and 18.6 mpg over the most recent 85.8 gallons. There's another screen for the current tank of gas.

Measuring mileage over 30 tanks of gas gives me a pretty good idea of actual mileage over time.

Here's the screen for the current tank of gas: 8 gallons remaining, 121 miles 'til empty.

Bostig/Zetec 2.0., High-top, usually carrying water, propane and most of the camping gear needed for a trip so the van weighs between 4,750 lbs and 5,200 lbs, i.e. it's heavy.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

Skills lives at sea level.. you live at 8000ft..

maybe something like that..

I get ~22mpg in my 1.8t van and my travel friend gets better than that in his Subie powered van on exact same travel conditions.. as we often roadtrip across country together.

vanis13 wrote:
OK so real world...what do you speculate is the 37% increase in your setup vs mine 16 vs 22 ?

22-16=6 / 16 = 37.5%

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
brickster wrote:

That's decent MPG for a brick! Did you correct for the larger diameter tires? If not, you likely did even better than that.

so the rear tires are taller to keep the rpm's down seeing i'm handicapped by 1 gear.

fronts are a hair taller than stock. speedo is dead on in terms of speed, but used the GPS to calculate the mileage

at 75 i was at around 3600 rpm, which is about 300 more than i like to see with the swap

EDIT

wind was more of a cross wind, not tail or head on

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

I live at 7,000 ft and never get worse than 25 MPG with my ALH mTDI automatic.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

your MPGs aren't relevant to Skills & Vanis comparative of subaru 2.5 mpgs. (at altitude)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I use one called trackmydrive to calibrate distance on my Ultragauge.

Looks like Iphone (IcontrolYou) only Sad

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
your MPGs aren't relevant to Skills & Vanis comparative of subaru 2.5 mpgs. (at altitude)

In case you hadn't noticed, this thread isn't a diagnostic thread detailing what 2.5 Subaru's get for fuel economy at different altitudes. I think my post was far more relevant to this thread than your obnoxious criticism of it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
I live at 7,000 ft and never get worse than 25 MPG with my ALH mTDI automatic.

You would get 28 mpg or more if you filtered your transmission oil.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

i've seen photos of your wiring. those who live in glass houses shouldn't cast stones

Skills--Your stone hit right in the bullseye. Sometimes I have enough patience and can do:

But sometimes when just seeing if the concept will work I do this:

Total Spaghetti City, but new connectors are on their way and it will get all cleaned up and buttoned back together.

Photo with write-up taken a year ago and although connectors have been installed, a circuit diagram made with colors of wires, sizes and with ID numbers which have been added as supplements to my Bentley,............you are right. Haven't shortened, bundled and laced them yet. They work and I have other issues which don't work, so it has been been let slide down on the priority list.

Didn't mean to offend you about the goop. It was supposed to be a sarcastic comment.

Duncan
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

I've got to say I have been disappointed with my milage, but I thought it was because I have a set of 40 IDF Webers. However, after looking through this thread and reading what others are getting, I should be happy with 15MPG city and 18MPG highway. That is a 2.1L, 5 speed manual, on 215/55R16s being driven on the hilly roads of the Okanagan Valley, loaded with camping gear (no water in the tank and nothing on the roof).

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

Just filled up from the 250 mile trip home which is 750' higher than starting point with Vermont hills. Fierce tail wind. Rain medium at times so maybe I got some water injection like the ads in Popular Mechanics for the '50s used to claim was a 10% boost. Probably blowing 20 gusting to 25. Cruised between 65 and higher. 21.4 MPG with the boat on the top, but I did get rid of the 500 pounds of books I lugged to Connecticut.

An interesting trip which I'll tell about under another topic.

Duncan
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Great car, great mod on the turbo and great mileage, but that goop on the roof? You can do better than that. You've hurt its feelings and we all know what happens to a T3 with hurt feelings.

Duncan

Love the goop. It’s some marine glue someone posted here. I will find the name. It certainly Beats the hell out of drilling holes and after it sets (like a week!!!) it is rock solid! I will definitely use it again.

And yes. Not pretty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

3M 5200 or 4200. 5200 can NOT be removed. Theoretically, 4200 can, but I've never had any luck. Whatever it touches, it owns. But it can be masked and troweled to look decent.

Duncan
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Just filled up from the 250 mile trip home which is 750' higher than starting point with Vermont hills. Fierce tail wind. Rain medium at times so maybe I got some water injection like the ads in Popular Mechanics for the '50s used to claim was a 10% boost. Probably blowing 20 gusting to 25. Cruised between 65 and higher. 21.4 MPG with the boat on the top, but I did get rid of the 500 pounds of books I lugged to Connecticut.

An interesting trip which I'll tell about under another topic.

Duncan

I want your boat ......... a magic mpg device!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jean-Guy Bernier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

698 km before lack of fuel yesterday!

Jguy
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

13.68 miles per galon

Need a mechanic that now these ABA Engines
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What's your gas mileage / fuel economy? Reply with quote

Over 8 years and 2 engines I average about 16 mpg

85 westfalia 1.9l WBX and 2.2l WBX
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 33

Jump to: