Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ATP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

So I've finally gotten down a list of *most* of the panels that need replacing or repairing on my new '68, and all over busdepot's site are "the most accurate" and "higher quality than anywhere else" with no mention of who makes the parts, just "European" or "German quality". But every retailer has "European" and "German quality", so it's hard to tell if there's actually a difference.

Are they really better, or are they just the same thing that cip1 and other e-tailers have in stock? I've had repeated issues just buying simple parts from busdepot, and if I can both save money and headaches by buying from another vendor I'd like to. Assuming reproduction part quality is the same, anyway.

In case it's relevant, I'm looking at things like doglegs, and rocker panels.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

talk with Don (Skills). He can probably answer your question best.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

they sell the same shit everyone else does.

i would look at autocraft, gerson and WW before I even considered BD.

i've never been a BD fan after getting messed around with years ago. some people love them, some don't. at best i'd say they have a 50/50 rating

it sucks because living on the East Coast it would be nice to have a solid vendor but i'd rather drive deck screws thru my toes than deal with BD

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ATP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
they sell the same shit everyone else does.

i would look at autocraft, gerson and WW before I even considered BD.

i've never been a BD fan after getting messed around with years ago. some people love them, some don't. at best i'd say they have a 50/50 rating

it sucks because living on the East Coast it would be nice to have a solid vendor but i'd rather drive deck screws thru my toes than deal with BD

I had a feeling that was the case.

Gerson is klassicfab, yeah? I have to get the floorpanel through them since the center of mine is rotted out, and they're the only people who still stock one it seems.

I don't know WW, but autocraft is stocked by pierside parts, and they're a 40 minute drive from my house, so it'd be nice to find some stuff without the wait. I wish their parts were labeled better though. "Side plate - left lower panel" doesn't tell me much compared to "Left outer rocker panel".

And yeah, I've had relatively terrible experiences with busdepot so far across 4 orders. I also learned "in stock" often means "8-10 weeks". Still going to wait out my deluxe bus cover order because those seem really nice, but after that I'm going to try to avoid them.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

I agree with Skills. They have almost nothing in stock, so they order it when you do, from the same companies that supply every other vendor.

That means it's the same part, but it takes FOREVER to get to you, and costs more in shipping.

Also, god forbid they have an out of stock or backordered item. They will take your money and claim they will send you the item when it gets back in stock. And then never send you anything but keep your money. Ask me how I know this Rolling Eyes

I bought a couple panels from them when I first bought my Bus. They fit poorly and looked awful when I got done. They still do, as I haven't replaced them yet.

KlassicFab is great, I bought one of their rocker skins and it was such a perfect fit it required exactly ZERO modifications. Just weld it in.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

ATP wrote:

I don't know WW

sorry, Wolfsburg West and yes Gerson=KF

and as far as BD goes, i tell people who are dead set on using them to CALL and make sure they have "it" in stock

and everything they send you is in homemade boxes that look as if a Bangladeshi child packaged your order.

my absolute favorite is they literally use garbage as packing materials, like old label sheets after the labels have been peeled off the backer and random sheets of paper/office waste.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
hometurbine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

In my experience the larger vendors sell poor quality reproductions that are thinner and don't fit well. There are some that will work, but you have to do your research. Skills mentioned some of the exceptions with good feedback. I think there were also some from Just Kampers that were pretty good as well.

In the end, I ended up buying most of my parts by cutting out sections of other busses. I took the floor and window areas out of a bus that was being scrapped a couple of hours away and most smaller sections from buses out west that are dry and non-rusted.

It's a bit more expensive and more work this way, but you know it will fit and be of proper thickness. You can buy a tool to cut-out the tack welds...the floor only had a few hundred welds....
Tiernay TT10 APU gas turbine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

If you can't find what you need from KF, WW or Autocraft try Alan Schofield they make great stuff.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

Bizarre thread.

Ron is one of us, not some corporate scumbag selling Chinese empi shit for various makes under different banners. He used to camp often, started by selling parts as he stripped rusted out busses etc and figured out containers from Europe were the only way for some parts.

Has he had employee issues from time to time, yes. It seems everyone does.

Is his ordering system outdated, nay absolutely terrible. and obsolete decades ago. Not even arguable.

The metal I just got from Bus Depot was excellent. After being warned some of the windhshield surrounds needed reinforcement around the wiper, I found this was far thicker than stock and easy to work with. It was from UK, I forget the label.

Ron still often brings in containers of parts from Europe or elsewhere that no one else will touch bc there isnt enough volume to be profitable. He isnt just some guy selling "the same shit as every other vendor". However, he is importing this stuff, although he tends to bring the best stuff in when he can and will let you know if it is subpar but the only thing available, or an economy option.

East Coast to West Coast shipping or vice versa is always a bit of a hassle, and even more so today.

One dude with a vendetta who lives on the internet can have his opinion and attempt to damage our friend if he wants. He has his right to his opinion just like everyone else.

Im a huge fan of WW too, but I've had a few minor issues with them too and shipping is slow to the east coast.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

look as if a Bangladeshi child packaged your order.

I am trying to imagine what this means exactly. Is it particularly bad to have a kid from Bangladesh working in the shipping department of an online vendor? Or is this just random bigotry masquerading as constructive criticism?
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

I was a big fan of BD in the past because they were close and even standard shipping was pretty much next day.
I was helping a friend with a big parts order (about $5,500) worth of stuff for a Bay and when it showed up, everything had defects. I understand that all panels will need attention, they're going to have dings and the black primer is just that. But some had legtimate creases or bends that would have cost substantial money to repair. That's defeating the purpose of buying the panels - major repairs that is.
It seems that they've changed how they handle inventory these days. I suppose some is supply chain related, but that excuse only works so long as other vendors aren't getting the same products.
Hopefully they address whatever issues changed their operation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lonewolfone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

I haven't had any issues with BD sometimes the shipping takes its time but it usually ends up being fedex that drops the ball.

Gerson seems to have his nose in the air about late model buses as he doesn't make shit for them so I haven't bought anything from that guy.
65 sundial "trailer special"
75 riviera "red rocket "
ATP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
Bizarre thread.

Ron is one of us, not some corporate scumbag selling Chinese empi shit for various makes under different banners. He used to camp often, started by selling parts as he stripped rusted out busses etc and figured out containers from Europe were the only way for some parts.

Has he had employee issues from time to time, yes. It seems everyone does.

Is his ordering system outdated, nay absolutely terrible. and obsolete decades ago. Not even arguable.

The metal I just got from Bus Depot was excellent, after being warned some of the windhshield surrounds was far thicker than stock and easy to work with. It was from UK, I forget the label.

Ron still often brings in containers of parts from Europe or elsewhere that no one else will touch bc there isnt enough volume to be profitable. He isnt just some guy selling "the same shit as every other vendor".

But one dude with a vendetta who lives on the internet can have his opinion and attempt to damage our friend if he wants.

Im a huge fan of WW too but the last thing I got from them.(ignition switch) was Chinese just like the CIP1 part, but in a German sounding box.

How is it a bizarre thread? As someone who hasn't bought metal for a bus before, I'd like to know if self-made claims by a retailer are true or not. That seems like doing one's homework to me.

Listing things as "finest quality", etc without a brand attached to them makes it so you don't actually know what you're purchasing and have no real way to compare it with other vendors. Other vendors are also guilty of using terms like that, but they include the manufacturer in their listings.

Ordering/stock/employees still seem to be an issue, but weren't really part of the thread. Nor was any sort of vendetta.

babysnakes wrote:
If you can't find what you need from KF, WW or Autocraft try Alan Schofield they make great stuff.

Thanks! I'll add them to the list.

hometurbine wrote:
In the end, I ended up buying most of my parts by cutting out sections of other busses. I took the floor and window areas out of a bus that was being scrapped a couple of hours away and most smaller sections from buses out west that are dry and non-rusted.

This seems to be less of an option by the year, and one that also greatly relies on luck/location. There is one gent out by me parting out an early bay, but he's been very difficult to get hold of. Few weeks of phone tag going already and it's already missing about half of what I need anyway. I've absolutely been keeping an eye out though.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

The Kampers panels you get from Bus Depot are fine - Klokkerholm not so much (though they have been mildly better lately IMO.)

Get the best you can - K-holm WILL rot quickly. Bus Depot just sells things and sometimes cheap crap is the only choice you get.
ATP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
The Kampers panels you get from Bus Depot are fine - Klokkerholm not so much (though they have been mildly better lately IMO.)

Get the best you can - K-holm WILL rot quickly. Bus Depot just sells things and sometimes cheap crap is the only choice you get.

I don't understand how you'd know what BD is selling. Kampers or Klokkerholm or anything else. Your choices are "Premium quality European made", "Top quality European made", "Quality UK made repro", etc. I just pulled up 10 different product pages, not one has a manufacturer listed.

So I'm not sure how I can get the best I can, if I don't know what I'm ordering.

Thank you for letting me know that Klokkerholm will rot quickly. I will cross them off my list for any part that I can find another manufacturer for.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:

I am trying to imagine what this means exactly. Is it particularly bad to have a kid from Bangladesh working in the shipping department of an online vendor? Or is this just random bigotry masquerading as constructive criticism?

It’s horrible. You want Thai children for the padding.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
But one dude with a vendetta who lives on the internet can have his opinion and attempt to damage our friend if he wants.

look at any thread that brings up BD, or even their feedback here. it's a 50/50 split it seems. pretty bad if you ask me.

the o/p asked for an opinion. i gave mine. as did others. if you like the guy fine, but here is a classic example of the b/s they pull...

had a customer who is an A lister. they are the only folks i let supply their own parts.

they ordered door panels and clips from BD. they did not have the door panels in stock (even though their site led them to believe they were) so the customer bailed on that part of the order. told them they didn't want the clips until they had the door panels

so, they ship and bill the clips anyway. are they cheap, yea but it's beside the point. they made a sale on a part that isn't worth the time to ship back.

germansupplyscott wrote:

i guess the child labor part went over your head.

their packaging is horrible, plain and simple. i know i have photos somewhere and posted them here. if i have time, i'll dig them up, my favortie was when they took brand new Konis, opened the boxes to compress the shocks and folded the boxes up to shove into another box that was too small.

they claim it's to 'save on shipping' but why is it a box double the size and weight coming from the west coast is cheaper to ship and gets here faster?

and Scott, you should be one to talk.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8244329#8244329

many, including myself have tried to order from you and just don't even have you as a blip on the radar anymore.

i'm glad to see you post these days but you had a very dark time in your business and never really offered up any kind of apology to anyone who tried to buy from you.

to the o/p:

yea, catchy 'finest quality' and other catch phrases make you feel all warm inside. you have every right to question it.

klokkerjunk is something to avoid, but some of their shit is ok (never had a problem with their rear corners for example)

my personal list for rust repair is:

KF
schofield
Autocraft
WW

and quite honestly, i have been buying more and more from Europe, VWHeritage, Busok, SerialKombi etc. with the exchange rates i have done well and 9 out of 10 times anything i have ordered has been cheaper than US vendors or a couple of bux more, which is fine because i seem to get the parts faster from europe than here domestically

what you're going to find is there is no '1 stop shopping' when it comes to these old girls

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

ATP wrote:
I just pulled up 10 different product pages, not one has a manufacturer listed

This is the important point. Who made the product? If the manufacturer is unknown then the quality is as well. I always want to know who is the manufacturer of a part. Putting an 'X-Star rating' or some other descriptive language is so subjective as to be essentially useless.

Gene Berg, from the start of their vending business, spoke about Pick-of-the-Litter (POTL). So even within a subset of a certain manufacturers' parts there can be differences in quality and the Berg policy was to accept only the best parts in a given pile.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

i guess the child labor part went over your head.

It didn't.

Last edited by germansupplyscott on Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Are busdepot repro metal panels actually superior? Reply with quote

Quote:
How is it a bizarre thread? As someone who hasn't bought metal for a bus before, I'd like to know if self-made claims by a retailer are true or not. That seems like doing one's homework to me.

It is the right thing to look for answers before you buy. Kudos for that. We are all a bit frustrated right now with the state of things. Hang in there.

As to Bus Depot. Calling the local number and speaking with someone usually works for me. They tell me what is in stock or who it is coming from. Sometimes it is the same place I can get one off the shelf locally. I have not bought metal work from them, and probably would not. I drove 1000 miles to get a panel for my bus when it was in that stage. I didn't trust shippers with it. I picked one off a donor,

As for Scott - he has always been straight up with me. Anyone who can survive in a bay market as long as he has certainly gets a kudos from me. If he had something I needed, I would not hesitate to order it.

As to Skills - he is a good friend and just states things like he sees them. He gets frustrated with the parts quality we all deal with these days. Can't blame him. It affects his business because he not only works on cars as a hobby but also as a professional business.

This hobby of owning a bay certainly isn't getting any easier as the original factory parts run out, and almost everything needs tweaking to make it work.

Considering where you are, have you contacted Interstate to see what they can sell you from the parts buses they have? They are apparently moving from Elsinore to 29 Palms. You might be able to get some bargains they don't want to move.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: