Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

passenger side tire hitting early.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghettoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject: passenger side tire hitting early. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My passenger side tire hits the crossmember of the suspension but not on the drivers side. The tires run straight and true but I can feel it hit when I turn the car in reverse. What can be causing this? No wobbling while driving and not any other problems. Has new Bilsteins and steering dampner. No other items are seen that jump out at me. Been driving this car for many years and it has been just like this for over 5 years but no one seems to be able to tell me what is up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: passenger side tire hitting early. Reply with quote

Adjust your steering stop.

Ghettoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: passenger side tire hitting early. Reply with quote

Is that easy to do? I dont quite see it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: passenger side tire hitting early. Reply with quote

In the top picture, if you follow the arrow you'll see what looks like a bolt head. That bolt is the steering travel stop when turning the wheels to the right. Down and right of that bolt is another bolt that the "horn" protrusion of the drop arm is contacting in the picture -- that is the steering travel stop when turning the wheels to the left and is the one you need to adjust.

Adjusting the stop is easy, all that is needed is to screw the bolt outward a bit to stop the passenger tire before it can contact the suspension. The bolt will either have a lock nut located either side of the plate it's mounted through that will need to be loosened before adjustment and tightened again after adjustment, or the bolt will be welded to the stop bolt. If the latter, you'll need to unscrew the bolt fully then reinstall it with a washer or two to space it out a bit. Regardless of which method is needed, you should adjust the stop so that at full lock the tire is no closer than 10mm to the trailing arm with the suspension unloaded.
Ghettoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: passenger side tire hitting early. Reply with quote

Thank you very much , will attack this tomorrow and lube the front also. I need to work on my bug more but I have not done much in many years and let others do it. I used to tear it apart in my 20's and do everything but now I have to relearn all that I did and regain confidence in what I once did easily.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: passenger side tire hitting early. Reply with quote

What year is your car? Some don’t have that steering stop, my 64 does not.

Also, if both tie rods are adjustable, it could be adjust straight but off center of the steering boxes center
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ghettoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: passenger side tire hitting early. Reply with quote

Thanks. I took care of it by using the method from the previous guy. Pretty simple but I have not messed with the front end in years. Now it is good and I bought a lube gun an did a lube job on it. Thank you though, take care.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: