Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Black flies
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

Canada eh ? those would be Caribou /Deer Flys Laughing Laughing Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

No black flies or no-see-ums here. Plenty of mosquitoes on a wetter year though. Deerflies and horseflies are abundant. Lord I hate those horseflies! They hit hard, saw off a steak and leave! Miserable Buggers!

The upside is we only have to put up with any of these critters for a couple of months.

For iowegian's benefit, the other 10 months we are plagued by snowflies. Small white things that come in generally with a high wind and sting like the dickens! They work by freezing exposed skin in minutes and the dead ones pile up and make roads impassable at times. They do go away by June though... Wink
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

Heard it was 36* this morning in Grayling Mi, about 45 minutes south of us Laughing
I've see them 'Snowflys' in July here Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

Oh it can happen!

Now and then a thunderstorm moves through and the iceflies! They poke holes in vinyl siding, wreck shingles, dent cars, ruin gardens and crops in minutes. We got caught in an icefly storm once in our open Buggy. That was like finding a wasp nest in the garden shed, knocking it down with a stick and turning to find the shed door latched and locked!

Good Lord that stings and there is nothing you can do about it!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

Green heads along the coast with a west wind and those f'ers bite. plenty of mosquitoes too
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

We have just had a couple of rainy weeks here. Very unusual but loving the effects on the countryside! I shut the mower down at dusk to come inside and thought my tinnitus was getting worse so I had the Missus step outside and listen. Nope! The whole countryside is buzzing! It's audible over the normal ringing in my ears!

I have no idea how the mosquitoes do that. Last two years were dry and hardly any, now with a bit of moisture there is a population explosion in a few days!
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

Now we have these tiny (tiny) flies.

Must of sucked in a hundred in one breath.

Never seen this before.

Bring back the bats!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

knat's , try with salt ,,they have no taste, Wink Laughing ,
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

oddly enough, we in northern NH had a mild black fly and -skeeter season this summer. we have a couple bats, so that helps. they wont use the bat houses we built and put up, and instead live in the gaps between my porch header beams/house logs. They cant do any damage there and even though they make a mess shitting on the porch, its all good with me. I’ll sweep up the shit every couple weeks to keep the bugs down.

our biggest problem lately is the damn ladybugs. yeah, thats what I said, ladybugs. These little son-of-a-bitches are not the cute, slow, garden ones either. They rapidly multiply, fly all over the place, and BITE! I shit you not. They suck! Between them and the cluster flies in the house, im happy to go out in the garage.

our calendar is based on bugs up here.

winter is deer ticks into early spring-black flies into summer-deer flies into late summer-hornets into early fall lady bugs. rinse and repeat every year. about our only bug free season is a couple weeks right about now. leaves are off the trees, sub freezing mornings, and no snow yet. best time of year for me

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

There’s one bad day in NH when NYrs come up and ogle your women, take up space parking, and drink your pigs foot porter. They fly back to their lattes and Brooklyn pizza quickly , though.

Cool
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

Snow flies today!

It was in the forecast and sure enough, it's happening. I am expecting lots of them until at least April! Amazingly dominant species, as soon as they come all other biting, sucking, stinging critters completely vacate the countryside!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

Please keep them contained up there until about ,,,April Wink Laughing we had them here a couple weeks ago ,, ground covered in the morning gone by noonish Laughing
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

yepper. those asian lady bugs are horrid. bite , stink, leave orange stains
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: