Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Salinity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

So I'm gathering bits and pieces to start the next stage of troubleshooting and decided to wiggle some wires again. While the engine didn't cut out, it was oscillating after initial startup.

I found that wiggling the left connection from the idle switch seemed to coincide with some initial poor running, and lack of throttle response. However, when I unpluggedthat connection, idle and throttle were ok.

I was slightly wiggling the ignition wire at the coil end and felt spark on may hand/arm twice. nothing big, but perhaps that wire is toast? It's one of those crappy setups with a straght crimp wire bent into a 90* boot. I have some STIs on the way.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

Using the test method shown in Bentley, with meter probes and relevant parts tested then securely connected, as you measure each ignition wire, bend each at-near each each end, push-pull each connector, watch meter for an open circuit or significant resistance change.

Did you try leaving the idle control system disabled?

The Digijet manual has some fairly detailed really useful info on the idle throttle switch.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Salinity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

So the apparent spark loss persists after addressing the Hall Sender pigtail.

V-Nut - I tried running with and without the idle control system engaged - I ran to the store with it hooked up and it ran ok, but idle was still wonky (likely not long enough of a run to make the issue show itself). I disconnected at the store (plugged ends together) and the ride home was a challenge - multiple stalls/spark loss events over 2 miles. I don't think the ICS disengagement caused additional issues (except maybe lower idle?), nor do I think it will solve my riddle. I'm still not clear whether the idle "drop" is related to my acute spark loss or a separate issue. It's definitely hunting after warmup - starts around 1000 rpm steady and slowly comes down to 600ish. Then the tack nearly drops to 0 at times and something kicks in to get it back up, then it oscillates between 6-800 and 100ish. Occasionally it will just stall out.

I really want to change out my ignition wires and coil given what I feel are apparent issues described previously (zaps from the 90* coil end wire connection when gently moving wire around and janky wire connections - I had to re-terminate dist end as the connector broke off in the dist) - I have the wires (STI), but I'm awaiting a new 0061 coil & new dist cap (with pins) from BusDepot so I can upgrade to the pin-style connections. I placed the order 2 weeks ago, as items showed in stock, but I was just informed the coil is NOT in stock. Hopefully I'll get some more info on Monday about supply - otherwise I'll go another route.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

Doesn't NAPA or other local parts stores have this? Is there something special with busdepot's parts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

Other VW's might use the same style wire from coil to distributor. If so, test, install, a known good used coil to distributor wire, see if that changes anything?

e.g. RI CL listing for '91 Cabriolet

https://providence.craigslist.org/pts/d/smithfield-1991-vw-cabriolet/7498746238.html

"thousands" of VW parts:

https://providence.craigslist.org/pts/d/smithfield-vw-parts-thousands-of-new/7485563073.html

Mk2 VW parts:

https://providence.craigslist.org/pts/d/wakefield-parts-for-volkswagen/7491127254.html

Even those Mk2 window cranks might fit a Vanagon? edit: if your Vanagon has a 19 relay for wipers and that seller has a "99" "programable" intermittent wiper relay for a fair price, that part can be swapped into your Vanagon. Very useful.

Measuring resistance of the coil to dizzy wire is likely moot now but testing to confirm it or other wires have a fault would be wise.

A random idle drop and/or engine cut out is likely due to an electrical connection making/breaking contact. A consistent rhythmical pulse up/down might be caused by something else.

As surmised, your engine may have more than one issue causing symptoms you see.

Neil.

Salinity wrote:

.... I don't think the ICS disengagement caused additional issues (except maybe lower idle?), nor do I think it will solve my riddle. I'm still not clear whether the idle "drop" is related to my acute spark loss or a separate issue. It's definitely hunting after warmup - starts around 1000 rpm steady and slowly comes down to 600ish. Then the tack nearly drops to 0 at times and something kicks in to get it back up, then it oscillates between 6-800 and 100ish. Occasionally it will just stall out.

I really want to change out my ignition wires and coil given what I feel are apparent issues described previously (zaps from the 90* coil end wire connection when gently moving wire around and janky wire connections - I had to re-terminate dist end as the connector broke off in the dist) .....

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

Agree with Vanagon Nut: test your wires and coil. Have you already tested the Hall control unit?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

Salinity wrote:
as items showed in stock, but I was just informed the coil is NOT in stock. Hopefully I'll get some more info on Monday about supply - otherwise I'll go another route.

bus depot has played that game forever and is why i won't use them. add to the fact they inform you 2 fucking weeks AFTER you place the order

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Salinity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

steve244 wrote:
Doesn't NAPA or other local parts stores have this? Is there something special with busdepot's parts?

Nothing special per se - I was just trying to source a new Bosch unit. Rock auto etc. have other aftermarket options. I didn't see any in stock at the local FLAPS. I ordered from BD as I was also looking to bundle together with the pin-style dist cap. I didn't figure on such a delay receiving parts.

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Other VW's might use the same style wire from coil to distributor. If so, test, install, a known good used coil to distributor wire, see if that changes anything?

e.g. RI CL listing for '91 Cabriolet

https://providence.craigslist.org/pts/d/smithfield-1991-vw-cabriolet/7498746238.html

"thousands" of VW parts:

https://providence.craigslist.org/pts/d/smithfield-vw-parts-thousands-of-new/7485563073.html

Mk2 VW parts:

https://providence.craigslist.org/pts/d/wakefield-parts-for-volkswagen/7491127254.html

Even those Mk2 window cranks might fit a Vanagon? edit: if your Vanagon has a 19 relay for wipers and that seller has a "99" "programable" intermittent wiper relay for a fair price, that part can be swapped into your Vanagon. Very useful.

Measuring resistance of the coil to dizzy wire is likely moot now but testing to confirm it or other wires have a fault would be wise.

A random idle drop and/or engine cut out is likely due to an electrical connection making/breaking contact. A consistent rhythmical pulse up/down might be caused by something else.

As surmised, your engine may have more than one issue causing symptoms you see.

Neil.

I may go after an alternate diz-coil wire if the delay with the new stuff persists. I tested resistance of the Diz x-coil wire (removed from the system) end to end and it read upwards of 10K ohms. Much different that the new STI wire which was somewhere around 1.5K. Not sure if this means anything significant or not.
Salinity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

brickster wrote:
Agree with Vanagon Nut: test your wires and coil. Have you already tested the Hall control unit?

I ran the ECU-multimeter based tests on the sender (within spec) - I want to go back and re-run the test on the control unit/generator itself just to make sure I did it correctly.

How would I go about testing the coil (other than installing a known good one)? I didn't see a procedure for this in the digijet protraining manual.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

Testing an ignition coil is not a simple matter. You can check the primary side and secondary side for resistance. I don't know the specs.

That said, if the engine will start and run smoothly without ignition-related hiccups, then the coil is good before heat issues are accounted for. In hot ambient temps, with a hot engine compartment, the failure modes can appear. The coil windings, typically, are varnish-coated copper wire. Heat and time can cause the varnish (or other insulator) to fail and short out the windings. The short can be temporary and then disappear when the coil cools off. When a short does occur, then the maximum voltage the coil will put out is diminished. This usually will not affect low-load conditions like idling or low-load driving.

Having said that, it remains possible that an internal short or break in internal wiring is causing intermittent coil output problems. However, the probability that your wandering idle has anything to do with the coil is exceedingly low, in my opinion. I would suggest focussing on other areas.

The Digijet idle control system depends on a proper base idle adjustment and uses variations in spark timing to smooth out idle speed. Its effectiveness is, therefore, very much dependant on having the base idle speed adjusted as close as possible to the specification.

I am not commenting here on the cutting out and stalling problems, just the wandering idle. However, a higher base idle speed might indirectly help with the stalling issue.

Generally, there will be no impact of a
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

Salinity wrote:
How would I go about testing the coil (other than installing a known good one)? I didn't see a procedure for this in the digijet protraining manual.

Digijet ignition system testing procedures begin on p 28.28, coil test on 28.32.
Salinity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

brickster wrote:
Salinity wrote:

Digijet ignition system testing procedures begin on p 28.28, coil test on 28.32.

Thanks!

The coil-dist wire is out of spec (should be 1200-2800 ohms to the connectors, mine is >10,000). My primary resistance on the coil is also high (1.3 ohms, spec is up to 0.76). Secondary is within spec.

The engine does start every time I've asked it to - running smoothly is another subjective matter. it seems to idle ok for a short period, then starts oscillating. The spark loss does seem to crop up more often than not after a bit of driving, or after a restart after an initial short test run. I seldom reach operating temp during these test runs, so the cutouts happen prior to reaching that threshhold.

I ran through the idle adjustments quite carefully, but if a new coil/wire combo doesn't solve something I'll go back there.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

NP! Hoping that a new set of wires is a game-changer for you. While you wait for parts, clean up all coil connections.

On my coil, the female connector for the cap wire was filthy and oxidized heavily. Not surprising given the engine compartment's exposure. When you reassemble your new ignition wires, use some dielectric grease on the rubber boots (not on the electrodes) to seal out moisture and grit.
Salinity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

Right on - definitely plenty to address while I wait, but I really want this issue sorted so I can enjoy the van locally between projects. To that end I send BD a cancel my order email and placed an order with rock auto for an aftermarket coil & Bosch dizzy cap (to convert mine to pin style m4(?) connectors).
Salinity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

Happy July 4th weekend all.

So my first report from the parts cannon fizzled like so many defective bottlerockets. I installed a new coil, pin-style dizzy cap and STI wires all around. The first startup after this installation gave me hope - things sounded GOOD and smooth. nice steady idle and just sounded good - for about 30 seconds. Then the stumbling/hunting began. After 2-3 rounds of stalling and restarts things actually got worse - it wouldn't stay running for more than 5 seconds and would pretty much stall out immediately. Further, when trying to overcome stalling with some throttle there was little to no response and almost sounded like it was missing.

The cap didn't come with a new rotor, and I didn't do any sort of adjusting there - perhaps I should have? The cap is a BOSCH, as is the dizzy, so I figured plug and play, but maybe not. I'll go back and do some reading.

I went ahead and removed the new stuff and put the old wires and dizzy cap back on with the new coil and it started and idled as before - wandering after the initial 5-10 seconds and trying to overcome itself. But it didn't immediately stall out as with the new cap and wires. I swapped in the old coil just for fun and there was no change. Unfortunately, in my haste and frustration, I parted the new STI coil-dizzy wire at the boot. Pretty bummed, as those wires don't seem to be user-terminat-able.

So I suppose this means it's not my coil or wires that are the issue, though the dist and/or hall sender could still be a culprit (next up in the parts cannon?).

Just for fun I tried the 180* ECU trick. That didn't yield any changes.

I haven't swapped in a new ignition switch yet - I can't imagine that's causing the issue (I wiggle the key at idle and nothing really changes), but would that be worth trying? Any other suggestions (other than going back through setting the idle control per the manual again)?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

i'm not going over 7 pages of posts to see what's been done but given your current conditions, there's 3 basic questions i would want resolved:

- is this fuel delivery related?

- is the fuel mixture related?

- is this spark related?

Fuel delivery: put a pressure gauge on the tap and a noid light on the injector harness. you want the BOSCH2 noids, a couple are handy to test one side at once. you need to observe all 4.

Mixture: remove the AFM cap and when the missing starts, push the vane around both directions from where it is setting/twitching. does it run smoother in one direction or another?

Spark: put a timing light on the coil wire, observe the flashes when running smooth and then observe when roughness starts.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Salinity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
i'm not going over 7 pages of posts to see what's been done but given your current conditions, there's 3 basic questions i would want resolved:

- is this fuel delivery related?

- is the fuel mixture related?

- is this spark related?

Thanks Dan - I'll add that to the list, though I'll need to source the testing materials (gauge, noid lights, timing light) and learn a bit about fuel pressure testing.

Given the immediate tach drop which was part of the initial engine cut-out issue, the initial consensus seemed to point to loss of spark (and not fuel delivery). Could very well be I'm experiencing multiple issues, but that immediate tack drop to 0 persists during all test drives.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

Have you tried a different ignition module?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184237224180?hash=item2ae564f0f4:g:40gAAOSw-B9ehjmy

Mark
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Have you tried a different ignition module?

I decided many years ago to maintain a proven good spare of every component*, i.e. a new or used replacement that I had installed on the van for a spell and was satisfied was good.

The main objective was a ready replacement in the event of a breakdown but it also makes it easy to rule out or rule in whether a particular part is the problem, especially parts that are difficult to effectively bench test.

*The exception are components that do not strand me, have lifetime guarantees from a FLAPS chain and I am able to replace in their parking lot (e.g. alternator and starter).
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Continued: stumbling/hunting idle & intermittent loss of spark Reply with quote

i'd also be looking for vacuum leaks.

like i said, i have a complete engine/harness etc if you're interested. i think i have some idle stabilizer relays as well

it refusing to take fuel could also be a worn AFM track. the pic you posted seems to be pretty worn. i just tossed a low mileage one about a month ago as no one wanted to pony up 50 bux for it.

fuel pressure is important, but so is volume. don't get fooled that the pressure is ok, make sure you check how much is flowing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: