Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 bay, fuel leak question.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: 69 bay, fuel leak question. Reply with quote

:2gunfire: i dont want any fire. the fuel lines are metal in the engine bay, up to carb where the end is jumpered with (new) rubber ,refreshed a few months ago. there is a leak that is dripping right by #3 when i last ran it , i assume this is coming from where the fuel line that attaches to the etal tubing, is passing through the rear wall behind the fan shrouding? i havent ever replaced this part of the fuel line, any tips or diagrams?
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Calocedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, fuel leak question. Reply with quote

It could be rubbing on the tin, I know there is supposed to be a rubber grommet around the metal fuel line where it passes through. I've read on here that the metal on metal can work through the fuel line causing a dangerous fuel leak. I can't imagine it being anything else that far over on the engine...

Easy enough to check. Just crawl under and disconnect the rubber line that runs from the bottom of your fuel tank to that metal line that runs through the shroud. Obviously make sure to have something ready to plug that rubber hose or you'll take a bath. My metal line that runs through the tin to the fuel pump is a little bit if a hassle to wiggle out but it will come.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, fuel leak question. Reply with quote

my 1971 chaffeed thru where it passed thru the tin. The grommet was cut thru and not the full circle, and I did not know it. Also the tube where the accelerator cable went thru did the same. But the bus had about 400,000 miles on it when it happened. clean it up and use a paper towel to see where the weep it. If you totally clean it up and the towel keeps getting wet then you will see where the leak is. A white paper towel quickly shows any moisture or fuel. The bad news is that area is gravity fed so pinching the line is the only way to stop it until you replace the metal hose.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, fuel leak question. Reply with quote

My metal fuel line was almost totally worn through on the firewall back in about 2012. So I used a piece of brake line inside a piece of rubber fuel line pushed through the hole in the firewall.
That then transitions to some Goodridge 200 stainless braided stainless reinforced motorsport hose, which seems to have a Nomex wrap under the outer braid too..
I had a fire in the engine bay, caused by not connecting the carburettor fuel feed then cranking and that produced a burning pool of fuel under the bus.
The rubber fuel line at the time nearly burnt through , the stainless braided oil lines that were above the fire are still in use..

I had a shut off solenoid, so when I turned off the ignition, the fuel flow stopped, then all I had to do was extinguish the small amount of fuel, and the burning wire insulation and clear gel from a LED strip used for illuminating the engine bay.

Two days later the bus was back on the road.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, fuel leak question. Reply with quote

thank you guys for the replies. yeah i will let you know what i find, ill take a dive under tomorrow!
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, fuel leak question. Reply with quote

Pictures would help
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, fuel leak question. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, fuel leak question. Reply with quote

Toss that garbage hose and get R14 (Gates Varricade currently seems the best) with quality fuel clamps (FI clamps with rolled edges).

That braided garbage hose isnt rated for ethanol.

Id just run all the way to the carb. Hard to see on my phone whether the problems is hose or metal.

Also, anytime you pull that old garbage "Chinese finger lock hose" you should cut it off and obviously not reuse it.

Of course the biggest thing of all is to keep the hoses away from sparkplugs, coil and distributor. Sparks from an arcing wire or bad dizzy cap plus gas leaks equals bonfire.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, fuel leak question. Reply with quote

Also - the metal line is supposed to pass through the engine breast plate, through a grommet. Originally on a '69 the metal line would have gone all the way from in front of the breast plate into the fuel pump but those fuel pumps have mostly been replaced with the later style. Rubber hose though the breast plate is sort of OK with a grommet but the hole in the plate is quite small. If the metal line is secured in the ignition wire clip and through the grommet that keeps it from fouling other things on the engine, like spark plugs etc.

outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, fuel leak question. Reply with quote

what size?
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, fuel leak question. Reply with quote

also: is it difficult to get to the tank connections? any tricks for not dumping gasoline on my face? and if i read that diagram posted is there a fuel filter at the tank as well? because ive never changed it in 28 years hahah. i have a fuel filter at the pump where i can see it get crusty.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, fuel leak question. Reply with quote

Stock was just a strainer at the fuel pump.

You will have to look at your Bus as the stuff that has been added to it for 50 years is unknown to us
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, fuel leak question. Reply with quote

im the second owner, owned it for 28 of those years ,its all stock*. first owner was a friend of mine. nobody has worked on it but me since he did. so i guess these are the originals...scary.

* i did swap out the original piece of crap trans and put in a 78 weekender trans instead.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, fuel leak question. Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
also: is it difficult to get to the tank connections? any tricks for not dumping gasoline on my face? and if i read that diagram posted is there a fuel filter at the tank as well? because ive never changed it in 28 years hahah. i have a fuel filter at the pump where i can see it get crusty.
I use a set of fuel line clamps from harbor freight to clamp the lines to keep the fuel out of my face or from running down my arm. Get the braided line completely replaced with gates barricade as soon as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 69 bay, fuel leak question. Reply with quote

to avoid a steady flow of gasoline to the face,

drain the tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: